Do any of you struggle with finding jobs?

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Cobracommander44
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Aug 2022, 3:49 pm

I feel I have a hard time keeping jobs. I've been in many retail jobs since I was 20 (turning 32 in september) I feel im about to lose the one i have now due to the way I've been acting at work they say I haven't been performing well but I feel some days I perform better than others. I had a melt down yesterday at my boss and I feel I am not gonna be there long

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 7:27 pm

Yes, I struggle. I have difficulties knowing what I can do and recalling what I have done. I mostly have gotten jobs by volunteering and contracting so that people get to know me and what I can do (and can't do). I am salaried and have to find teams that are inclusive of "eccentric" persons. There are a few employers near me who staff hourly jobs with diverse folks. I don't shop much, but I am comfortable shopping at those stores. The employees are respected and are compassionate. These workplaces are unfortunately a small number of the whole, but they are out there. Last year I was despondent about the energy required and likelihood of finding one. Thankfully, I eventually did. I requested a job coach through a state-funded program to help me make the most of this opportunity. It's one thing to get a job and then another to hold it. I find in the long run it's been worthwhile. Good luck with your options, resources and path.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 4:53 am

I think lying helps in job interviews or at the very least making yourself sound way better than you are. Once you're in the job nobody cares anyway so you don't need to live up to those things.

I try to educate my daughter about job interviews because she does struggle. She's really honest. I tell her that it's a competition so you have to be the best, smartest and most charming person. Be engaging, smile and use eye contact.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:08 am

Yes, I do. I am employed but badly underemployed. I work for a company that I hope go bankrupt because I hate it so much. I kept avoiding any jobs that involve client interactions etc and that limited my choices. I'm so scared of people and that's fatal.

I hear most people lie/exaggerate and make themselves sound far better than they actually are to get the job. That makes me wonder what the recruitment process is for. The employer interview the candidates and it picks the best liar. That's what's been happening where I work. I see HR spending lots of time and effort in hiring. Yet, they often end up hiring rubbish because the best liar got through the interviews.

something_witty
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2022, 2:34 pm

I appreciate this question. I have been fortunate to find jobs and have employment. I will say though, I have a hard time sustaining jobs. I think that has been the harder part for me. I get in a new role and quickly burn out. Especially, if it lacks structure or the work environment is not what I thought it would be.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2022, 10:27 pm

i'm almost 40 and have had like 10 jobs (some repeat companies) i don't think i've lasted more than 2 years at any. It becomes too much and it concerns me. I do music work on the side, that's the only thing constant but currently does not pay the bills. best thing, i think, is to find something where it's clear what you're expected to do. working retail and working with people's special orders is beyond a nightmare (to me) because i'm never ready for the problems that happen that i didn't cause but now have to figure out. I literally hated my last job, it was being tossed in a lions den. and the manager would come and coddle the customer after he mauled me half to death. i'm totally ramblinig, sorry

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 10:32 pm

“Retail” is just bad for people with autism.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 11:02 am

Kraftie, agreed. I volunteer in the back office of a community support organization. Earlier this month they were super busy, so I offered to help a person donating. Anyhow, I didn't handle a "demand" she made well, so she left in a huff and said she'd donate elsewhere. Oops. With the correct "script" I could have handled it better. I asked my NT husband what he would have said and of course he was smooth (which involves white lies, which I stink at). I supported technical sales and that went very well b/c there was less "relationship" work, and my directness and honesty was appreciated by that set of clientele. My (ASD) mom did retail a few times and was good, but burned out quickly and hard.