Do any of you struggle with finding jobs?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2022, 11:05 pm

I'm in my late 30s and I never really passed high school and I feel only up to grade 8 I could really understand stuff in school. Past grade 9 everything was very challenging. As a adult I struggle to find a job and I feel as many autistic adults are employed I feel like giving up at times.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 3:59 am

Oh yes, it was difficult. I've done several unpaid internships, those are easier to get than jobs since they're unpaid, but I did them to have some experience to put down on my CV, and the only two actual jobs I've had I got after doing an unpaid internship at those places first. The first place downright used people in bad situations; first, they would hire a person for an unpaid internship for half a year and after that, they would hire the person for real for half a year if they got support money from the city to hire that person (it's something that places can sometimes get if they hire someone who's had trouble getting a job.) If they didn't get the support, they wouldn't hire the person. Then, after the half a year was over, they'd hire the person for another four months if they got more support money, but if they didn't, the person was let go. I was one of those they let go. In the second place, I only had to work unpaid for three months before they hired me for real, and I've been there since then. It's boring and part time, so I'd like another job instead, but since I know how hard getting one is, I'm hesitant to quit.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 7:40 am

I struggle to find jobs. I need an expert to help me find work. I might need a job coach to teach me the ropes of the job that I end up getting.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2022, 10:26 am

To make it easier finding a job, you need to know when not to always tell 100% the truth. I know its difficult thanks to the bad social skills we might have because of the syndrome, but it can be done if you learn how to properly.

I for example, can tell you, I lied about my education as it is required to atleast finish high school to be accepted at some workplace. I didnt finish high school, I was a victim of bullying thanks to my syndrome. However, I lied at the job interview I finished high school, and they accepted me. If I would have said, "No sorry, I didnt finish high school", they would have said, "Okay, we'll be in touch", and that basically translates to a "Okay sorry, we dont think you can work here with us", they just dont like saying so directly. You have to lie sometimes, no doubt about it.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 10:30 am

I have had a few dry spells, but I never turned down an offer of gainful employment.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 12:12 pm

I struggle to find jobs due to my anxiety and my physical disability. I have Cerebral Palsy and recently it has been affecting me in my back and legs(my legs was where the most damage was) and some in my arms too. Most entry level jobs require you to be on your feet and moving around a lot also doing things with your hands(such as lifting things) and I can't do that for long periods of time. I could probably get accommodations for these things but, if I don't then I'm probably screwed.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 1:46 pm

I didn't get good enough qualifications to go to university, and I'd felt for some time that I'd likely fail if I did go, as the schoolwork had been getting above my head for a couple of years. But the qualifications I got were easily good enough for me to get a job as a lab technician. At the time (early 1970s) jobs weren't so scarce. I was also seriously considered for another job before being offered the one I took, but they wanted me to cut my hair and I refused, though I cut it before going for the job I actually got (and then grew it much longer).

I worked there for over a decade, and must have impressed the boss because he gave me very good references when I left. Those references made me the favourite for the next job I applied for, so getting that seemed very easy.

I was lucky that my working life happened while jobs weren't so scarce. I don't think I could have achieved the same thing in the current climate. I think employers know they can pick and choose, and that they therefore demand a lot more than they used to.

But obviously, qualifications are important. I was scared of failing my exams so although the teaching methods were rather out of whack with what I needed, I somehow managed to get through without disgrace. I suppose it helped that I went for science subjects. I'd been interested in science for years, and had always been able to think fairly coherently about scientific principles. The work was only beyond me when it wasn't explained clearly and when they started bringing in complex mathematics. So I sometimes learned more from the text books than from the lessons. It was much easier when it was a practical job instead of tons of hands-off theory to learn.

Kyaegha
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Aug 2022, 5:46 pm

I do.
I can't do phones, because I'm minimally speaking. I can't do warehouse, because I have structural weirdnesses (scoliosis and a true structural leg length discrepancy)
I haven't had a good job history no matter what I try.
I went to college for computer systems and biz management, but in the end, it's not about head knowledge- if I had a dollar for every time I've been fired, laid off, let go or turned down because "you just don't have the personality"....I would not have to work.
Right now, I work very part time doing graphics and marketing for a health food store. I'm way underpaid, but I do at least work alone in the middle of the night. I doubt I could do anything else atm. I even tried to own my own business for a while, but found I don't have it to market myself, either.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2022, 10:44 pm

I have been unemployed basically for the last 6 years even though I have a bachelor's in a science with straight A's.I have never had a real job.I have no work experience because of my great struggles with finding a job but I did become aware of a job I am applying for soon.The only time I worked for a company was when i was working with semi-trucks for a month part-time.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2022, 2:09 am

I’ve never had a proper Job, and over the years I’ve dropped out of college several times so haven’t managed to acquire any qualifications. As I’m approaching middle age, it’s unlikely anyone will want to employ me now and even if I were able to work I’ve no idea where I would start.

There are employment organisations in the UK, however, they are usually run by businesses associated with the Job Centre which isn’t the best place to go if you are disabled and need to speak to someone who understands Autistic people and their strengths and limitations. You’ll either end up working for considerably less than the minimum wage or pushed into situations you can’t deal with under the threat of sanctioning - if you receive benefits. I’ve spoken to a few people who have been unfortunate to experience that.

I don’t know of any legitimate organisations in the UK who can genuinely help Autistic people of all ages and abilities into work. If there are, maybe they are likely to want people who are already qualified in subjects like IT, and Engineering etc. I would have loved to have been a Therapist or a disability rights Solicitor but not only is it too expensive to train, I’m not sure I’d cope at college having dropped out so many times before. Would anybody even employ me if I did manage to qualify given that I’d be well into middle age by that time and be competing with people decades younger?

I’ve decided that the only way for me to be able to work, is to be self employed. I’m inspired by the Autistic writers on sites like Medium and I’ve written several articles that I haven’t published because I’m on ESA [UK out of work benefits]. You are allowed to work if you receive those benefits but you are only allowed to earn around £100 a week and self employment is complicated in that respect, so I’ll remain stuck for the foreseeable future.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 2:54 am

after working at the fam business for most of the teen years(after school/holidays) i did not really found any,
(it seems a disapprovable point in righteousness-dom, wow a priviliged serf 8O )
then, when i did work it turned into addictions at the same time, 8)

stay at home & selfemployed
with the wrath of the world against that
"hourray" and "help"

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 9:24 am

Noamx wrote:
To make it easier finding a job, you need to know when not to always tell 100% the truth. I know its difficult thanks to the bad social skills we might have because of the syndrome, but it can be done if you learn how to properly.

I would advice against direct lying; in worst case scenario, it could get you not only fired but accused of a fraud, too. Of course, this depends a lot on the place and what the lie is; some bosses might not care even if you got caught lying if you'd done a good job so far despite the lie, but I wouldn't risk it.

Not telling something that wasn't specifically asked, on the other hand, is something I'd consider a safer move. I got yelled at at one of the places I worked in as an unpaid trainee 'cause I hadn't told them I had hydrocephalus and a shunt and a certain task caused me to feel dizzy, which was very common for me in specific situations so it didn't worry me, but it scared the person I'd been working with at the time. However, they couldn't really blame me of anything since no one had asked anything about my health.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 9:59 am

I struggle in occupational area very much, I am severely impaired in it. I need obvious care in the area of job, I am pretty disabled and have social pension and care allowance. I am very "quirky" and I quite blatantly lack "money-making" skills despite high (at least verbal) IQ. I get many psychotropic drugs and have multiple mental disorders. I am rather low-functioning than high-functioning. I have "fixations", "manias" and "obsessions". I live in dysfunctional or even pathological family which is unsupportive (or even counter-supportive) mentally.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 10:09 am

catpiecakebutter, it is hard to answer your question.

In grade school, I was a poor reader. The only books I loved were comic books.
But then I took a strange class when I entered my first year of high school. It was called Speed Reading. They taught me how to read from the inside out. (Find the key wood, find the next key word, do it fast and then start to assemble the sentences from the inside out). It was really a very strange way to learn how to read. But it worked for me. It turns out that my mind runs so fast, much faster than normal individuals, that this method fixed me. I went onto college, graduated and then worked for over 40 years.

It may be that you just have a little different brain structure. And you just need a different way of learning.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 11:33 am

Not really. I struggle with wanting a job. I always try and earn and save as much money as possible when I'm in work so I've got enough to stay off for a while.

I tend to struggle a bit with interviews sometimes because I have no sense of hierarchy and I talk to everyone like I've known them for years. It works with some people but not with others.

I must say though that getting a job was far easier about 25 years ago to what it is today. I used to be able to walk out of one job on a Friday and straight into a new one the following Monday. I can't do that now. I don't lack for charm but I'm seriously lacking in motivation.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 10:16 pm

babybird wrote:
I tend to struggle a bit with interviews sometimes because I have no sense of hierarchy and I talk to everyone like I've known them for years. It works with some people but not with others.

I drive management types crazy with that, I have no respect for hierarchy in and of itself and will talk to anyone as an equal until proven otherwise.