UK government doesn't stop sewage being pumped into sea

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2022, 1:17 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
How, exactly, are chemical supply chains squeezed by brexit? :?

Either there's supply available for sale that can be shipped and delivered or there isn't.

How does the uk's status, whether in or out of the EU, change the supply of chemicals they can buy to treat sewage wastewater? :?

And there's your problem. Shipped and delivered. There is now so much paperwork and forms to fill in (physically or on computers) at the ports that many firms think 'oh f**k this, it's too difficult. We'll just deliver to another EU country which is easier and get our money quicker.' So EU countries stay trading with each other because it's easier.

Plus the delivery drivers themselves have problems. UK drivers can't get out of the UK so easily to fetch the goods. And foreign drivers can't get into the UK so easily to deliver the goods. So again drivers think 'oh f**k this, I'm going to work in areas where it's quicker and easier for me to work.' The EU drivers stay in the EU, the UK drivers stay in the UK.

Overall it's because the barriers in place between the UK and EU are now harder to pass and take a longer time. The UK government didn't seem to realise that we are an island and rely on other countries to let our supplies through. Doh!

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 15765.html

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... ins/causes

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2022, 7:28 pm

This is one of the reasons the UK has never been on my travel list. Ocean outfalls pumping raw sewage.

The sheer volume of sewage and run-off entering the water means the UK is consistently ranked as one of the worst European countries for coastal water quality and only 14% of UK rivers meet good ecological status.

There is also a high volume of micro-plastics and industrial soot/particulates in the air/water/land. As somebody with asthma this is sheer lunacy to travel there.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 5:03 am

cyberdad wrote:
This is one of the reasons the UK has never been on my travel list. Ocean outfalls pumping raw sewage.

The sheer volume of sewage and run-off entering the water means the UK is consistently ranked as one of the worst European countries for coastal water quality and only 14% of UK rivers meet good ecological status.

There is also a high volume of micro-plastics and industrial soot/particulates in the air/water/land. As somebody with asthma this is sheer lunacy to travel there.

^That is quite a recent thing. When we were in the EU, they assessed our beaches and gave them Blue Flag status if they were up to the standards for quality, safety, environmental education and information, the provision of services and general environmental management criteria.

We are not in the EU anymore, so there are no checks and balances to make sure the beaches are of a good standard. The UK government can do WTF it likes with our beaches for this reason. Therefore they are ruining our beaches.

It's generally a good idea to stay out of the UK anyway these days, it is going downhill rapidly.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 5:48 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

^That is quite a recent thing. When we were in the EU, they assessed our beaches and gave them Blue Flag status if they were up to the standards for quality, safety, environmental education and information, the provision of services and general environmental management criteria.

We are not in the EU anymore, so there are no checks and balances to make sure the beaches are of a good standard. The UK government can do WTF it likes with our beaches for this reason. Therefore they are ruining our beaches.

Correct. This is the 'red tape' they talk of cutting. They always present cutting red tape as a positive thing, as if it's unnecessary bureaucracy that we could liberate ourselves from. In reality the red tape the Tories want to cut are things that protected the public, like clean waterways, working time directive, maternity leave etc

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 3:26 pm

KitLily wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
How, exactly, are chemical supply chains squeezed by brexit? :?

Either there's supply available for sale that can be shipped and delivered or there isn't.

How does the uk's status, whether in or out of the EU, change the supply of chemicals they can buy to treat sewage wastewater? :?

And there's your problem. Shipped and delivered. There is now so much paperwork and forms to fill in (physically or on computers) at the ports that many firms think 'oh f**k this, it's too difficult. We'll just deliver to another EU country which is easier and get our money quicker.' So EU countries stay trading with each other because it's easier.

Plus the delivery drivers themselves have problems. UK drivers can't get out of the UK so easily to fetch the goods. And foreign drivers can't get into the UK so easily to deliver the goods. So again drivers think 'oh f**k this, I'm going to work in areas where it's quicker and easier for me to work.' The EU drivers stay in the EU, the UK drivers stay in the UK.

Overall it's because the barriers in place between the UK and EU are now harder to pass and take a longer time. The UK government didn't seem to realise that we are an island and rely on other countries to let our supplies through. Doh!

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 15765.html

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org. ... ins/causes

Makes sense. UK made their own bed and now they have to lay in it.

Solution: Pay more to make it worth their while to do the paperwork and transport across borders. If firms make as much or More money for their time to deal with UK paperwork, they’ll deal with UK paperwork and you’ll get your poo chemicals.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 4:09 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Correct. This is the 'red tape' they talk of cutting. They always present cutting red tape as a positive thing, as if it's unnecessary bureaucracy that we could liberate ourselves from. In reality the red tape the Tories want to cut are things that protected the public, like clean waterways, working time directive, maternity leave etc

Yes indeed. You hit the nail right on the head. The government is taking away every law, check and balance that is protecting the public, aren't they. They are promoting lawlessness as the best thing for the country.

I can't believe how stupid so many people are not to realise this *sigh*

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 4:28 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Makes sense. UK made their own bed and now they have to lay in it.

Solution: Pay more to make it worth their while to do the paperwork and transport across borders. If firms make as much or More money for their time to deal with UK paperwork, they’ll deal with UK paperwork and you’ll get your poo chemicals.

Yes indeed. The people who voted for Brexit are to blame for this. I didn't. I voted to stay in the EU, as did 48% of Brits. When Brexiters complain to me I shall say, 'well, this is what people voted for. It must be what they wanted.' :shrug: They are already complaining that they can't travel round Europe as much as they used to. Duuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh!

There is no way the government will pay more. They are saying the public must cut back as much as possible, the government is cutting back on nurses, teachers, public servants, disability benefits. You name it, they are cutting as much public spending as possible. The latest budget has been presented and austerity is continuing. They are blaming the EU for causing all these problems.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... gh-3921303

Strangely though, the rich people are getting tax cuts, expenses paid, even their Christmas parties paid for. I wonder why this could be...

https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/22/mps-told ... -17803120/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 6:01 pm

If it’s yellow let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down - cuts down on the volume of water requiring treatment chemicals.

Lol obvi you agree that EU didn’t cause brexiters’ problems.

Rich people don’t pay taxes anywhere & the poor, working poor, and middle working class shoulder the cost of everything.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 6:53 pm

The sea is the worlds most efficient self cleaning device.

Mankinds efforts to meddle in "Cleaning up" the rivers and estuaries here have created severe shortages of fish (In our rivers) and decimated our cockling industries and why?
We are starving our fish and cockles of their natural food source.
Example. A large farm my brother worked at had a small river at the bottom, and all the cows would go down into the river to drink. While in the river they would poo in it and the fish would be teeming in those areas as they fed off the poo. When the EU brought in a rule that all these areas had to be fenced off so the cows could not reach them, the older farmers noticed that apart from all the extra work and costs via watermeter to use tapwater for the cows, that the cows health were going downhill compared to how well they looked in the past. Not only that, but since then that river is now almost void of fish. There is no poo for them to eat, and no flies around the poo which they would eat. Those fish starved.

The same when it came to cockle beds. You WILL NOT find a sizable cocklebed in any tidal estuary area that does not have a nearby sewerage works. The largest and most numerous cockles are right near the sewerage works (If there are sandy salt water areas near them so they can live). One never collects these cockles as they are too polluted for humans to eat. One collects the ones further away in the areas that they can still feed and thrive from the tinsy bits of microscopic poop, but they don't take enough to be a danger to eat them. (Cockles are always given fresh slightly salted water to sit in for half a day so they first will have emptied their tummies before this water is replaced by fresh cold water, which is heated slowly to gradually increase the temperature to a boil so the creatures die without being harmed. (Boiling water put in straight away is a cruel way to kill any sea creature!)
As the water warms they start to enjoy it and by the timeit gets too hot they are already dead without knowing it. Is the old way to cook then done for thousands of years for this reason.

It is surprizing how the thickest stupidest "Experts" are very slowly catching on. Our local Marine biologyst" who is fairly young said "There seems to be a link to the cocklebeds and sewearage works". (How thick can one be to have all those qualifications and to have studied for so long only after working for a few years to have noticed? Locals have known it for years and cockle gathers have ALWAYS known it! How come experts know so little about life? Which idiots are training such people today!?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 5:02 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Ocean outfalls impact shallower coastal areas which have the richest ecosystems and are nurseries for deeper sea fish.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 10:34 am

goldfish21 wrote:

Rich people don’t pay taxes anywhere & the poor, working poor, and middle working class shoulder the cost of everything.

Yes, I'm not sure how the EU is to blame for the UK voluntarily deciding to leave the EU :? It's not like they pushed us out. The British public is largely brainwashed by the right wing media into believing the EU is the root of all evil. Also that Remainers (we who voted to remain in the EU) are to blame for Brexit going wrong.

Which would be funny if it wasn't affecting our lives badly. The British public are seriously delusional.

I've never understood the yellow/mellow thing. Urine is green, not yellow.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 10:43 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

It would have been...before the human population got out of control as in 8 billion of us. Now there is too much sewage and it needs to be treated properly before people swim in it and get ill or die.

Of course if people stopped wanting to swim in seas and rivers it wouldn't matter but they won't stop.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 10:54 am

KitLily wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Yes, I'm not sure how the EU is to blame for the UK voluntarily deciding to leave the EU :? It's not like they pushed us out. The British public is largely brainwashed by the right wing media into believing the EU is the root of all evil. Also that Remainers (we who voted to remain in the EU) are to blame for Brexit going wrong.

Which would be funny if it wasn't affecting our lives badly. The British public are seriously delusional.

I've never understood the yellow/mellow thing. Urine is green, not yellow.

Very weird that they can blame remainers for brexit things going wrong wtf it's the brexit that caused the problems, not remaining - because they didn't remain. Morons.

Ummm, urine is yellow.. sometimes brighter neon yellow-greenish with excessive B vitamins etc. So, either your colour perception is off, your water intake isn't high enough, or your diet is making your urine green with something you consume regularly. Google says: "Some brightly colored food dyes can cause green urine. Dyes used for some tests of kidney and bladder function can turn urine blue. Medications. A number of medications produce blue or green urine, including amitriptyline, indomethacin (Indocin, Tivorbex) and propofol (Diprivan).Oct 24, 2020" so maybe you're eating too many dyes or are on some medication that causes this.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 2:43 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Very weird that they can blame remainers for brexit things going wrong wtf it's the brexit that caused the problems, not remaining - because they didn't remain. Morons.

Ummm, urine is yellow.. sometimes brighter neon yellow-greenish with excessive B vitamins etc. So, either your colour perception is off, your water intake isn't high enough, or your diet is making your urine green with something you consume regularly. Google says: "Some brightly colored food dyes can cause green urine. Dyes used for some tests of kidney and bladder function can turn urine blue. Medications. A number of medications produce blue or green urine, including amitriptyline, indomethacin (Indocin, Tivorbex) and propofol (Diprivan).Oct 24, 2020" so maybe you're eating too many dyes or are on some medication that causes this.

It is crazy. In June 2016, the British public voted to leave or remain in the EU on the day of the referendum. Then our part in the decision was done. We couldn't influence the government or the EU after that day in 2016. Yet Remainers are still being blamed for 'not believing enough'. WTAF.

No, it's pale green, nearly colourless. Definitely not yellow, ever. I drink loads and loads and loads of water as I have a problem with getting dehydrated so I have to be careful. I can't tolerate artificial foods or pre-prepared dishes, most of my food is cooked fresh from scratch and I'm not on any medication. But as long as I remember it's been green, never yellow :?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 3:28 pm

KitLily wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

It is crazy. In June 2016, the British public voted to leave or remain in the EU on the day of the referendum. Then our part in the decision was done. We couldn't influence the government or the EU after that day in 2016. Yet Remainers are still being blamed for 'not believing enough'. WTAF.

No, it's pale green, nearly colourless. Definitely not yellow, ever. I drink loads and loads and loads of water as I have a problem with getting dehydrated so I have to be careful. I can't tolerate artificial foods or pre-prepared dishes, most of my food is cooked fresh from scratch and I'm not on any medication. But as long as I remember it's been green, never yellow :?

Then there is either something off with your eyesight & colour perception or body chemistry and urine.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:34 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Then there is either something off with your eyesight & colour perception or body chemistry and urine.

Or it's just the way my body is, my urine has never been yellow or changed at all. I wonder if it's a female/male thing. I suppose we don't go around asking each other what colour our urine is :lol: Maybe we should.