Which is the best? Rock, paper or scissors?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Which is the best?
Poll ended at 28 Aug 2022, 5:07 am
Rock 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paper 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Scissors 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rock and paper 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Paper and scissors 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scissors and rock 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
All three 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None of the three 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Undecided 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 5:07 am

Hello!
It's finally time to start doing those monthly polls I talked about a while ago! However, an interesting development has occurred with the source of these polls(Splatoon 3) in that instead of it being either or, now there are three options. The three options for August's poll are rock, paper and scissors; I've also put in combinations of the three. I'll run the poll for four days, ending it on Aug 28th. Hope you have fun with it!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 5:39 am

Scissors cut paper, paper covers rock, and rock breaks scissors.

I would assume that it would make no difference. That you have the same 33.3333.... percent chance of winning with any of the three choices.

Just like with flipping a coin. There is no particular advantage of either heads over tails, nor vice versa. Its 50-50 either way.

But who knows? Maybe some computer geeks at Harvard, or MIT, have crunched numbers, and found some counter intuitive finding that there is some edge to one choice over the other two.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 6:44 am

Rock to punch someone's gut, paper to slap someone's face, and scissors to poke someone's eyes...

Hmmm... I'd go with rock being the best and with scissors being the worst.

Oh.
Wrong genre. :lol:

I'm undecided then.

Unsure if it's really like flipping coins -- related to coins biased on the face it's started with or not...
But it seems it's more around psychology.

Then there's these...
Not that I check sources or the like. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 6:53 am

I think paper is the best, because I enjoy painting and doodling.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 7:47 am

Realistically, rock can break both scissors and paper. Scissors can cut paper. So, rock is the winner and paper is the loser. The rule should be changed accordingly.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 8:26 am

temp1234 wrote:
Realistically, rock can break both scissors and paper. Scissors can cut paper. So, rock is the winner and paper is the loser. The rule should be changed accordingly.

The "paper covers rock" part is a bit lame.

Maybe they should change it to "water, paper, matches". Matches burn paper, paper floats atop water, but water extinguishes matches. So you have a true 'circular hierarchy' in power imagery.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 9:31 am

I remember an episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Lisa played rock paper scissors, and Lisa already knew that poor, predictable Bart always picks rock. At the the same Bart was positive that good ol' reliable rock would win. So he picked rock while Lisa picked paper, and she won.

I guess a lot of people would pick rock since you have to keep your hand clenched in a fist.

Where I live rock paper scissors is barely known by most people. When I was a kid we would normally just flip a coin to make decisions. But I find rock paper scissors pretty fascinating, apparently they have tournaments for this kind of thing.

Speaking of coin-flipping, up here the "tails" side of coins makes sense since most of our coins have animals that have tails on them, especially the beaver that's on the nickel. :)

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 9:37 am

A gun. It beats anything. :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 4:56 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
temp1234 wrote:

The "paper covers rock" part is a bit lame.

Maybe they should change it to "water, paper, matches". Matches burn paper, paper floats atop water, but water extinguishes matches. So you have a true 'circular hierarchy' in power imagery.

Wouldn't water destroy paper?

I think pretty much anything destroys paper. Even a rock, as rightfully a rock would crumple paper.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:28 am

When I was younger they once came out with these short-lived action figures called "Battle Beasts". They were anthropomorphic animals that came with some kind of gimmicky feature where a wood, fire, or water symbol would appear on them. It was similar to rock paper scissors, but more nature-themed - fire burns wood, water extinguishes fire, and wood floats on water. When you had your beasts "battle" each other, whichever had the winning symbol would "defeat" the other beast.

I think Hasbro created them and they even made an appearance in a Transformers cartoon.

Last edited by lostonearth35 on 29 Aug 2022, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:32 am

NaturalEntity wrote:
Which is the best? Rock, paper or scissors?
Insufficient data . . .

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock 

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:47 am

How about something like fire, water, earth?
The water destroys the fire, the fire destroys the earth...the earth destroys the water? Help me out here.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 11:48 am

Joe90 wrote:
The water destroys the fire, the fire destroys the earth...the earth destroys the water? Help me out here.

Its gotta be easy to mimic with the fingers of one hand. Given that consideration rock, paper, scissors, is not so bad.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 1:30 pm

What about paint brush? :lol:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 1:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Its gotta be easy to mimic with the fingers of one hand. Given that consideration rock, paper, scissors, is not so bad.

Fire can be done with fingers waggling like flames.
Water can be done by hand waving - not the same type of waving as you do when greeting - but mimicking waves on the ocean.
Earth can be where the hand is flat and still.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Aug 2022, 8:50 pm

Which one is better depends on the situation. Paper is better if you want to take notes, write a list, or keep a journal/diary. Scissors are better if you have things that you need to cut or if you get into a close fight & need to stab someone. A rock can be great if you want a kewl decoration, a pet(rock), are a fan of The Sifl & Olly Show(I wonder if anyone knows this reference), if you want to break a window, or if you want to hit somebody from a distance :twisted:

Joe90 wrote:
Sounds like an RPG game :nerdy:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition