Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

kirakirakira
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2022, 6:39 pm

I'm sure most of autistic people had this terrible feeling of unworthiness. I believe that I went through a lot of challenges, as other ND people did, but sometimes it feels like I don't do enough. The world is so cruel to neurodivergent people and sometimes I just want to be able to think like other people do so I wouldn't experience this terrible alienated feeling like I'm having to deal with other species. I don't have a will to do anything in my life because it feels like it's not worth it. I feel better going through forums here because it feels great to see that you aren't the only one struggling and that there are people who are capable of understanding your way of thinking. Thank you so much guys, I'm getting it off my heart somewhere where I can be understood and it makes me feel a little better

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 6:56 pm

I dont want to live either.
I've had suicidal ideation my whole life , I think that is even listed as a symptom of ASD

https://www.camhsnorthderbyshire.nhs.uk ... y-in-asd-1

Seems pretty common

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 7:12 pm

I'm glad you're talking to us here and I'm sorry you're hurting so much. It is indeed a cruel, neurotypical world and a hard one to live in at times. Sometimes I fantasize about escaping to an uninhabited island or another planet with other autistic and neurodivergent people and leaving the NTs behind. But I guess that'll never happen. So I cherish the neurodivergent friends I have and hope to make more. Try to remember its not your fault...you didn't ask to be born into this society and it sounds like you're doing the best you can.

kirakirakira
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2022, 7:51 pm

delvian wrote:
Sometimes I fantasize about escaping to an uninhabited island or another planet with other autistic and neurodivergent people and leaving the NTs behind. But I guess that'll never happen.

I very much relate to this. Since I was a kid, I've always dreamt of living in some area with few to none people, surrounded by beautiful nature and mountains, without a need to act like someone else in order to be accepted. I would be able to enjoy my hobbies, knowing well that I have as much time as I need for myself and myself only. This is not just a dream, but a goal that I absolutely have to reach, because after that I'll finally be happy. It's the only thing that keeps me going, because the world is too beautiful to leave it. Thank you so much for your kind words. It's a great relief to be heard by someone who can relate to you. I was way too depressed lately and needed to get these feelings off my chest, it feels much better

kirakirakira
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Aug 2022, 8:00 pm

klanka wrote:
I've had suicidal ideation my whole life , I think that is even listed as a symptom of ASD

I'm sorry to hear that. The problem with autistic people is that even going through medication therapy and attending psychotherapy doesn't solve the problem long term. We still fail in some way in comparison to average people and I don't think it can be prevented. I know that it's not our fault for being this way and that it can't be helped, but it still feels terrible. Despite that, I truly believe that every ND person is very strong to their core because we have to manage these awful thoughts every day.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 8:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I too had a dream about living someplace a little off the beaten track. I set my mind towards that goal and made it come true. I built my own home in the woods and I have lived within my special world, with my wife and raising my two daughters for over 45 years. Now my children are married and raising families of their own.

You wrote: I've always dreamed of living in some area with few to no people, surrounded by beautiful nature and mountains

It's a good dream and it is doable. Make it happen.

Last edited by jimmy m on 23 Aug 2022, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2022, 8:44 pm

Quote:
I'm sure most of autistic people had this terrible feeling of unworthiness.
I'm not so sure that that's the case. I don't feel in the least bit unworthy due to my autism. My issues with depression stem more from the trauma I experienced and my PTSD than autism specifically. I'm proud of my autism. It's part of what makes me unique. There are many on here who feel similarly about this. Being "average" or "normal" sounds awfully boring. I like being me; I just wish that I hadn't experienced some of the extreme things that I have. PTSD is not pleasant.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 3:37 am

kirakirakira wrote:
I'm sure most of autistic people had this terrible feeling of unworthiness. I believe that I went through a lot of challenges, as other ND people did, but sometimes it feels like I don't do enough. The world is so cruel to neurodivergent people and sometimes I just want to be able to think like other people do so I wouldn't experience this terrible alienated feeling like I'm having to deal with other species. I don't have a will to do anything in my life because it feels like it's not worth it. I feel better going through forums here because it feels great to see that you aren't the only one struggling and that there are people who are capable of understanding your way of thinking. Thank you so much guys, I'm getting it off my heart somewhere where I can be understood and it makes me feel a little better
I can relate to this. I believe pretty much all autistic people can. Being autistic itself is not the problem. The way we get treated is the problem. It causes unnecessary stress and unnecessarily makes us feel faulty and unworthy despite the fact that there's nothing wrong with us. Even if we know that we are as good as any human being can be, getting treated poorly repeatedly makes us feel hopeless.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 6:26 am

TV, movies, magazines, and all media tend to project a monolithic view of society. This tends to make those of us on the fringe feel more alienated. This feeling can be lessened to the degree that we can recognize that what has been projected to us is false.

Attractive people saying things that others have written is not reality. Sadly many people take this projection and adopt it as if it were real. Rather than feeling bad because we are rejected from this mass delusion, we may discover how to navigate among others who are either are rejected by or have come to also reject a social construct based on fiction.

Like the movie the Matrix, we may only find those with whom we might connect among others who have also escaped.

This is a difficult road for several reasons. Most of us who have been through public school have an unnatural social peer dependence that amplifies a need for social acceptance. Some advertisers exploits insecurities to prey upon fear to sell their products.

In the last 100 years most families have been decimated and transportation has give a mobility that has also further isolated people. perhaps people with Aspergers sensitivity have felt the leading edge of these social changes more profoundly.

Like a survivor on a battlefield, we are left to make our own way. This forum can be helpful in sharing strategies and encouragement in learning how to navigate the mess this world has become.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 7:04 am

kirakirakira wrote:
klanka wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. The problem with autistic people is that even going through medication therapy and attending psychotherapy doesn't solve the problem long term. We still fail in some way in comparison to average people and I don't think it can be prevented. I know that it's not our fault for being this way and that it can't be helped, but it still feels terrible. Despite that, I truly believe that every ND person is very strong to their core because we have to manage these awful thoughts every day.

Yes, true.
I was a shut-in for years then I resolved to come out into the real world, but now i want to retire with 2 dogs and a cat in a small village.

You havent mentioned your reasons for not wanting to live but hopefully you can overcome them

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 9:19 am

kirakirakira wrote:
Since I was a kid, I've always dreamt of living in some area with few to none people, surrounded by beautiful nature and mountains, without a need to act like someone else in order to be accepted. I would be able to enjoy my hobbies, knowing well that I have as much time as I need for myself and myself only. This is not just a dream, but a goal that I absolutely have to reach, because after that I'll finally be happy. It's the only thing that keeps me going, because the world is too beautiful to leave it. Thank you so much for your kind words. It's a great relief to be heard by someone who can relate to you. I was way too depressed lately and needed to get these feelings off my chest, it feels much better

I'm trying to work towards a similar goal for myself too. I believe we can reach it in time.

Twilightprincess wrote:
I don't feel in the least bit unworthy due to my autism. My issues with depression stem more from the trauma I experienced and my PTSD than autism specifically. I'm proud of my autism. It's part of what makes me unique. There are many on here who feel similarly about this. Being "average" or "normal" sounds awfully boring. I like being me; I just wish that I hadn't experienced some of the extreme things that I have. PTSD is not pleasant.

I 100% agree and feel the same way.

temp1234 wrote:
Being autistic itself is not the problem. The way we get treated is the problem. It causes unnecessary stress and unnecessarily makes us feel faulty and unworthy despite the fact that there's nothing wrong with us. Even if we know that we are as good as any human being can be, getting treated poorly repeatedly makes us feel hopeless.

This too.

Regulan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Aug 2022, 10:17 am

Such a good exchange here. I am very grateful I can read all this.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 5:13 pm

Sweet Pea hugs