Do we have 'more autistic' and 'less autistic' days?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 1:58 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Quote:
Do We Have 'More Autistic' And 'Less Autistic' Days?

Definitely. Some days I'm practically non-verbal. Especially when tired. Speech was always the first thing to go for me.

I'm non-verbal about 95% of my life so I didn't even count that.
It's my default.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 7:07 am

What annoys me is when I have a bad day and I don't know why. It seems mysterious things are going on inside my body to make me have a bad day and I can't see anything outside myself to make it bad. e.g. sensory things, people things, timetable things :shrug:

At least I don't have periods anymore when I got one good week out of every month! That was hellish.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 1:30 pm

I've definitely felt "less autistic" on some days, but it's hard to know whether I actually was less autistic or whether there was just less of a challenge on my autistic nature on those days. Every social encounter is different, and my performance can turn on the smallest of events. It would be very hard to record all the challenges and to quantify that as the overall anti-ASD pressure of the day.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 11:59 pm

Everybody has good and bad days. On our bad days due to stress, our masks do not work as well making us seem more autistic. Often our bad days are caused by things we are particularly vulnerable to such as sensory overload, multitasking, and high social demands.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 1:18 am

KitLily wrote:
What annoys me is when I have a bad day and I don't know why. It seems mysterious things are going on inside my body to make me have a bad day and I can't see anything outside myself to make it bad. e.g. sensory things, people things, timetable things :shrug:

At least I don't have periods anymore when I got one good week out of every month! That was hellish.

Too many to track.

Current situations (if that factors to processing space in background, if that contributes to internal stress), past situations (that IS stored somewhere with unprocessed emotions, trauma and whatnot), overall physical, mental and emotional health, stress levels (whether internal or external) and states related to it, mood levels, energy levels, hormonal fluctuations, external factors and consumables of varying sensitivity/insensitivities/effects from hunger and hydration to varying effects of sleep which may or may not be related to habits like screen time and diet.

And that's just the simplest as I can get for now. :lol:

Maybe I should quit tracking myself for a while and come what may...
Do something more immediate than the tangled mess that is myself.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 6:51 am

My bad days are more to do with adhd. I just can't concentrate on anything even on what people are saying to me.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Everybody has good and bad days. On our bad days due to stress, our masks do not work as well making us seem more autistic. Often our bad days are caused by things we are particularly vulnerable to such as sensory overload, multitasking, and high social demands.

I think that is a good explanation.

I've realised that even though I think I'm calm sometimes, I'm actually not e.g. when my daughter got her GCSE results, I was very anxious even though I didn't realise it. I was so hoping she wouldn't be disappointed, and then she was really happy, so it was a huge relief. But I was still anxious.