Do we have 'more autistic' and 'less autistic' days?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 7:36 am

I've heard that some days we can feel more autistic and some days less so. Is this true?

I'm definitely having a more autistic day today, with everything going over my head :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 7:39 am

I have my good days and my bad days.

In the sense of "forgetfulness," I'm becoming "more autistic" on a consistent basis.

I don't believe I have severe word-finding difficulties yet----but I did forget the word "scan" yesterday, calling it "taking a picture of a barcode."

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

I'm definitely getting more forgetful, but I wonder if it's just that the world is getting faster and more complicated :?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 9:17 am

I do.

I have more or less autistic days.
I also have more or less functioning/dysfunctional days in a simplistic way.

I can be more autistic and more functioning.
I can also be less autistic and less functioning.

Mine is also a bit more complicated.
My 'more autistic' and more dysfunctional days looked a bit like ADHD-like and I don't like it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 12:13 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I do.

My 'more autistic' and more dysfunctional days looked a bit like ADHD-like and I don't like it.

That does help, thanks.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 6:00 pm

I have many ups and downs. Sometimes it is dehydration, exciting news, or a touch of bi-polar at work. I never describe it as variations in AS.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2022, 6:25 pm

KitLily wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
I do.

That does help, thanks.

My more autistic days is less socially appropriate and more about seeking orderliness.
Also superfocusing stuff, more apparent stimming... More sensory seeking, more repetitiveness, more echoing stuff. And predominantly being less inclined in the world of words, and spent more time in a wordless world.
Meaning, feeling like giving less f---s about social conventions and standards. :lol: :lol: :lol: Also fulfilling more sensory needs, finishing plenty of projects regardless, losing up more than usual...
Whether I'm more or less functioning, I'm happier this way.

My less functioning days are about being forgetful, more disorganized, more impulsive, more emotional and less stable, irritable and easily frustrated, clumsiness being present, narrow minded and short-sighted...
Again it's like ADHD. With some BPD even. Again, I don't like it. Unable to comply, unable to meet standards. Negligent, being stuck... Overwhelmed because I gave too much f---s.

The 'less autistic' I'm, more so the less autistic I have to be, the more I'm driven by my ego actually.
By ego, I meant standards and maintaining fronts because I'm supposed to be 'abled', also a lot of that irrational f---s about beliefs and conditioning...
What's the use of that mindset when being 'able' is not consistent?..
It's the part of me that sees autism as a curse, it's also a part of me who sought to compensate for it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:29 am

KitLily wrote:
I've heard that some days we can feel more autistic and some days less so. Is this true?

I'm definitely having a more autistic day today, with everything going over my head :lol:
Yes. That is very true. It depends on what my brain has to process on any given day and on how exhausted or stressed I am. It's not that your level or degree of Autism changes. You are always as severely Autistic as you are on your very worst days. The way it works is that your Autistic challenges and struggles will only show themselves when you are at a level of stress that is greater than your ability to cope with it. Some days you won't be in those situations or you might be rested or have more energy so you will seem less Autistic. But you are not less Autistic, you just have the energy to deal with the current situation that you are in.

Wreck It Ralph

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 12:30 pm

skibum wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes. That is very true. It depends on what my brain has to process on any given day and on how exhausted or stressed I am. It's not that your level or degree of Autism changes. You are always as severely Autistic as you are on your very worst days. The way it works is that your Autistic challenges and struggles will only show themselves when you are at a level of stress that is greater than your ability to cope with it. Some days you won't be in those situations or you might be rested or have more energy so you will seem less Autistic. But you are not less Autistic, you just have the energy to deal with the current situation that you are in.

That's a very clear explanation, thanks.

I appear to be 'normal' when I'm not stressed i.e. eloquent and intelligent. When something unexpected happens or I'm ill/tired/hungry, I get angry or confused. I think that really throws people because I suddenly seem to change personality. But it's how I am inside, they obviously can't see that.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 12:37 pm

KitLily wrote:
skibum wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I appear to be 'normal' when I'm not stressed i.e. eloquent and intelligent. When something unexpected happens or I'm ill/tired/hungry, I get angry or confused. I think that really throws people because I suddenly seem to change personality. But it's how I am inside, they obviously can't see that.
You are very welcome. That is how it is for most of us. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 12:44 pm

skibum wrote:
KitLily wrote:

The understanding of the public would help wouldn't it.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 3:09 pm

KitLily wrote:
skibum wrote:
KitLily wrote:

The understanding of the public would help wouldn't it.

Oh my goodness, that would be so wonderful!

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 3:18 pm

My more autistic days are triggered by sensory:

- the weather (bright sun, bright glare, humidity)
- environmental and ambient noise (televisions, radios, people in general, buzzing sounds, crinkle)
- clothing (any time I have to wear a bra or shoes)
- smell (food cooking, chemical scents, perfume, cologne, cut flowers, chocolate)
- touch (kids poking me for attention, being hugged or crowded)

It's not that I'm "more autistic", but those are the main things that will make me flip my lid.

Socially it would be:

- people asking me too many questions
- people expecting me to do a certain thing at a certain time (not gonna happen)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 3:30 pm

I have my mix of both good days and bad days. My good days run smoothly and I like myself. I'm a little spaced out on my bad days and things get to me. I'm in a sort of a fog on my bad days.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Do We Have 'More Autistic' And 'Less Autistic' Days?

Definitely. Some days I'm practically non-verbal. Especially when tired. Speech was always the first thing to go for me.

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 1:44 am

Same.

I have days where I don't even qualify as human.

My absolute worst was literally beating my head against the wall because i couldn't deal with hearing my upstairs neighbor cheating on his girlfriend anymore. I could distinguish the vocalizations of every different woman he had over. I don't know if she ever found out....