Asperger Syndrome and HFA, which sounds better?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What sounds better in your opinion?
High Functioning Autism 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Asperger Syndrome 80%  80%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 10

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 9:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
Then why is it called autism? Autism is from Greek word meaning "self". So us autistic people who are social creatures just as much as our NT peers shouldn't have such a misleading label.

I suspect that you were misdiagnosed. That you ARE in fact neurodiverse (maybe ADHD), but are probably not aspie or autistic.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:43 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Neither.

I believe Asperger's Syndrome and "high-functioning autism" are two separate facets of the Autistic Spectrum.

I don't believe the two entities are "one and the same."
This^^^

What Kraftie says is correct, they are not the same. But Asperger's is no longer a diagnosis, at least not in the DSM anyway. Personally, I prefer just Autism. I don't like functioning labels. I use them when I have to when no other descriptive word is available. But I just tell people that I am Autistic. My traits are all over the place so I cannot only be thought of as high functioning.

But I think each person should use the term that s/he is most comfortable with for his/her unique situation.

But to answer your original question, I don't think either of them sound better. I prefer just autism.

Wreck It Ralph

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 10:46 am

I hate the functioning labels. Call me "aspie" and proud of it, and if it offends people that's their problem and not mine.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2022, 11:00 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I hate the functioning labels. Call me "aspie" and proud of it, and if it offends people that's their problem and not mine.

You have the right to be called whatever you want to be called.

Wreck It Ralph

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I'm confused by all these different labels and what they mean. I've got autism level 1 as far as I know.

You've been pretty active here. Surely you would have leveled up by now. :lol:

Ah don't talk to me about Levelling Up. The British government is trying to level up by making us all poor, as far as I can make out :? :lol:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2022, 3:19 pm

KitLily wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I'm confused by all these different labels and what they mean. I've got autism level 1 as far as I know.

You've been pretty active here. Surely you would have leveled up by now. :lol:

Ah don't talk to me about Levelling Up. The British government is trying to level up by making us all poor, as far as I can make out :? :lol:
Sounds like they are in cahoots with the US government.

Wreck It Ralph

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 7:21 am

skibum wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Sounds like they are in cahoots with the US government.

I wish Joe Biden would come over here and sort out our government, he's a million times better than them.

But I'd better shut up now because I'm taking this thread off topic and Cornflake will be chasing me with an axe :lol: