High mother depression rates not affecting children

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 6:39 am

Half Of Moms Of Kids With Autism Have High Depressive Symptoms

Quote:
About 50% of all mothers of children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) had elevated levels of depressive symptoms over 18 months, while rates were much lower (6% to 13.6%) for mothers with neurotypical children in the same period, UCSF researchers report in a new study published August 26 in Family Process

In addition, while past studies suggest having a parent with depression increases the risk that children will have mental health and behavior problems, this study found something different.

"We found mothers' higher symptoms of depression did NOT predict increases in children's behavior problems over time, including among families with a child with autism who experience a lot of stress," said Danielle Roubinov, PhD, UCSF assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, and first author of the study. "That was surprising and good news."

The researchers found that child behavior problems predicted higher levels of maternal depression down the road, regardless of ASD status. They didn't see the inverse effect, however; prior maternal depression didn't predict child behavior problems later.

Self-blame and guilt among parents of ASD children is common and predicts worsening depression and lower life satisfaction over time, the team's past research shows.

In the current study, the researchers repeatedly measured maternal depression and children's behavior problems in 86 mother-child dyads across 18 months. Half of the mothers had children with ASD and half had neurotypical children. The age range of children in the study was two to 16 years old, though the majority (75%) of the children were elementary age or younger.

Maternal depression was measured using the Inventory of Depressive Symptoms, a self-report scale completed by mothers. Child behavior was measured through maternal report on the Child's Challenging Behavior Scale, which focuses on externalizing behaviors such as tantrums, aggression and defiance. The researchers said f

Following the study, the researchers offered mindfulness classes to all parents to help manage parenting stress. "The parents were grateful to share common challenges and learn inner strategies to cope," Epel said. "Many studies have shown that mindfulness training can help with parenting stress, and we also found our parents showed improved mental health."

It is important to experience and notice positive emotions and joy, despite having a more challenging life situation, said Epel.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 5:18 pm

My mum suffered both depression and anxiety, and it rubbed off on me and my brother. I was actually hypersensitive to other people's emotions, so whenever my mum was sad and depressed I picked up on it and would misbehave, because I was too young to deal with it sympathetically.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 5:40 pm

No one in my family had anxiety or depression, just me. If they had anything at all, it was narcissism. Whenever something unpleasant and/or frustrating happened to them in their life, they had me as their emotional punching bag. And they used every opportunity they could come up with, real or faked, to dump their anger and frustration onto me. Then they went on laughing and chatting with each other like nothing's wrong, as I held back my tears, as crying was a punishable offense in my family.

All of which explains why I've been taking antidepressants since 2019, and drink alcohol constantly to boot.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2022, 12:02 am

Someone figured out that having a disabled kid makes their parents sad? Boy there's a shocker. Sometimes I wonder if these researchers get out enough.