Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Midwinter98
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2022, 8:05 am

I would appreciate any guidance or resources on cooking as an autistic adult. I have always struggled with eating and have a limited diet, a lot of food I don't like and can only make through a few bites which put me off cooking in the first place.
It is also the fact that it could take longer than expected and might take a long time to clean up that scares me off cooking in the first place as it disrupts my routine.
I have normally been buying take away recently because of this but I cannot afford it anymore. I also really struggle with shopping for ingredients as going into the supermarket and seeing so many things is overwhelming and I just want to leave.
I'm sure many of you have been though the same thing, any advice would be most welcomed <3 just fyi I'm vegetarian.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 8:16 am

I roast a batch of vegetables then freeze and use throughout the week for various meals. Saves a lot of time and energy.

There's a lot of quick and easy vegetarian recipes on the BBC website you could try out.

Midwinter98
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Aug 2022, 8:51 am

Thank you very much, I will look at the BBC website and try that

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 9:31 pm

Executive processing dysfunction

Sensory Integration Disorder

Limited budget

Instacart

Some companies like Hello Fresh offer prepackaged meals (never tried them before and I am not advertising but it is a prospect)

The most recent time I cooked anything harder than boiling water for beans or pot stickers was about seven years ago

Do not like cooking

Usually microwave everything

Frozen mixed veg

Microwave cooking cookbook

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:08 am

I buy bags of frozen, pre-chopped vegetables (like onions, sweet potato, squash, peppers, mushrooms, carrots and also mixed veg) and I find that an absolute life saver. To not have to wash, peel, chop and clean up knives and chopping boards is fantastic. I also use frozen berries for porridge and desserts.

I like one-pot recipes for simplicity and I often make a big pot of soup that I can keep in the fridge and eat from for 3 or 4 days. The last soup I did was made entirely from frozen pre-chopped vegetables from tesco that I just opened and dropped into the pot which was so nice and easy. Tinned/canned ingredients can be good too, like chopped tomatoes, beans, coconut milk, etc. Often cheaper than fresh, as is the frozen pre-chopped stuff.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:30 am

Learn how to make omlettes,boiled egg put them on toast to be really British.

Use yer grill to melt cheese on top.

Oven chips are really simple and good, with some mushrooms or vegetarian sausages.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:35 am

A George Foreman health grill can be a handy little appliance in the kitchen. I also started using steam bags. I bought about 300 fir about £3. They're fantastic. You can put veg (frozen or fresh) in them. Pierce the bag and then microwave for about 3 to 4 minutes. This also means you don't have to wash pans because you throw the bags away. You can also steam fish or chicken in them but I've never done that.

For me cooking is about being as healthy as I can for the least possible fuss.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 10:08 am

A slow cooker is great.Put it on and you don’t have to worry about boil overs or burning food.Soups, beans and whatever you want.You can package and freeze leftover for later.I put stuff in it before bedtime and turn on low and it’s done in the morning.I use mine all the time.
There are all kinds of recipes online for slow cooker meals.Plus they don’t use much power.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2022, 2:53 pm

What works well for me is to make full recipes of different things and then freeze them in individual servings. Like chicken soup or a vegetarian stew.

I too am on a special diet, one that isn't like any i have encountered. Its just the NeilM diet. But it works for me and helps me sleep well and feel fine.

I have an Instant Pot which I couldn't live without. It not only pressure cooks but it slow cooks, sautes and is a rice cooker among other uses. Part of my evening meal is always (dried) beans and brown rice and for that alone, the Instant Pot is worth the expense.

While I cannot eat red meat, I can eat fish and chicken so I can easily fry a fish filet. Also I find that the Gardein Ultimate Burger and Dr. Praeger burger are both handy and fit my unique diet. Hopefully those are available where you are.

While I generally have the same things for breakfast and lunch, my suppers rotate thru chicken, vegetarian, fish, vegetarian, and I don't eat one without planning the next.

Hope this info helps. If you have questions, post them. I'm around fairly often.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.