Dreams and longings for times and places that don't exist

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2022, 1:50 pm

I get these all the time. Often in dreams. Ex: during the holidays, I dreamed about a neighborhood a small distance the north pole that was almost industrial, very little color or fanfare. The buildings were either green, snow covered, or bark covered. You could hear Christmas music in the far distance. It was completely empty when I was there(dreaming). Something fresh, earthy, and woodsy. It would definitely smell like pine, cinnamon, and a slight hint of peppermint.also huge warehouse everywhere. Picture the back lot of MGM studios.

So that's just one :lol:

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 8:31 pm

^ That sounds like a nice place. I'd love to go there if it existed.

For me places in my dreams are always somewhat dreary/sad/negative. It must be reflecting my general mood. I often imagine my ideal world/place for my horror stories, while I'm awake, especially before I fall asleep in bed. Typically, it's a rural village where some scary beings come from the forest, steal people, particularly kids, and eat them in the forest, or make the victims rotten. Something like that.

I also imagine a different planet where buildings are beautiful and people are nice. Often a boy (probably me) is looking out from the window of the 10th floor at the beautiful world he lives in. Orange, yellow, green, brown roofs of the houses etc.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2022, 9:11 pm

temp1234 wrote:
^ That sounds like a nice place. I'd love to go there if it existed.

For me places in my dreams are always somewhat dreary/sad/negative. It must be reflecting my general mood. I often imagine my ideal world/place for my horror stories, while I'm awake, especially before I fall asleep in bed. Typically, it's a rural village where some scary beings come from the forest, steal people, particularly kids, and eat them in the forest, or make the victims rotten. Something like that.

I also imagine a different planet where buildings are beautiful and people are nice. Often a boy (probably me) is looking out from the window of the 10th floor at the beautiful world he lives in. Orange, yellow, green, brown roofs of the houses etc.

I could imagine your places as I read...I like the detail of the roofs and 10 stories up. I'd like to see a scary movie based on the horror place.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 9:17 pm

I dream about a gingerbread city not just at Christmas, but all year round. The city is located in Germany and it's surrounded by forests and there's always snow on the ground.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:49 am

I never really have nice dreams, they're always stressful or miserable in some way and the situations and people in them are always more important, like the location is somehow kinda faded and unclear. But I had a lot of vivid dreams about weird and wonderful places when I was a kid, and I'd spend a lot of time thinking about them when I was awake, closing my eyes and imagining myself there. One I often remember was sort of like a swimming pool, but it was a series of small, square, tiled tunnels with water in the bottom that you could swim around and explore. They weren't very big, really just wide enough for a single person to swim around in without feeling claustrophobic at all, and you'd be able to sit up but not stand. They would branch off in different directions and go up and down levels in small steps with the water spilling over the edges, so I guess it was flowing from somewhere. The tunnels were dark and the smooth, shiny, tiled walls were dark too but there was always some gentle light coming from up ahead or around a corner, usually a bluish-green colour. It probably sounds creepy or something but it had a calm, airy, peaceful vibe.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2022, 6:53 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I dream about a gingerbread city not just at Christmas, but all year round. The city is located in Germany and it's surrounded by forests and there's always snow on the ground.

Love it!! The German culture adds a great feel to it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 9:44 pm

BreathlessJade wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Love it!! The German culture adds a great feel to it.

Danke

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2022, 10:13 pm

delvian wrote:
I never really have nice dreams, they're always stressful or miserable in some way and the situations and people in them are always more important, like the location is somehow kinda faded and unclear. But I had a lot of vivid dreams about weird and wonderful places when I was a kid, and I'd spend a lot of time thinking about them when I was awake, closing my eyes and imagining myself there. One I often remember was sort of like a swimming pool, but it was a series of small, square, tiled tunnels with water in the bottom that you could swim around and explore. They weren't very big, really just wide enough for a single person to swim around in without feeling claustrophobic at all, and you'd be able to sit up but not stand. They would branch off in different directions and go up and down levels in small steps with the water spilling over the edges, so I guess it was flowing from somewhere. The tunnels were dark and the smooth, shiny, tiled walls were dark too but there was always some gentle light coming from up ahead or around a corner, usually a bluish-green colour. It probably sounds creepy or something but it had a calm, airy, peaceful vibe.

It sounds so wells constructed. Like the designer preplanned the minute details of how the reflections and angles would created such a magical appearance.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2022, 10:16 pm

Hey guys...spinoff question. Have you ever dreamed you saw a movie then while awake, you try to find it but it doesn't exist?? When I was a kid, I thought so many things were real, they had to have been fragments of real movies.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Aug 2022, 9:01 pm

I tend to not remember my dreams & when I do I barely notice or remember the locations, places, & time periods. I remember what I'm doing like if I'm fighting, running, falling, or working. I do occasionally have dreams that involve longings I would never have except maybe in a parallel/alternate universe/reality like I dream about dating or being friends with a person who probably literally has no clue I even exist :(

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2022, 12:47 am

nick007 wrote:
I tend to not remember my dreams & when I do I barely notice or remember the locations, places, & time periods. I remember what I'm doing like if I'm fighting, running, falling, or working. I do occasionally have dreams that involve longings I would never have except maybe in a parallel/alternate universe/reality like I dream about dating or being friends with a person who probably literally has no clue I even exist :(

Ever dream you're falling off a curb and wake up? Your dreams do seem cool

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

31 Aug 2022, 5:39 pm

BreathlessJade wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I very seldom get woken up by my dreams. I usually have to get woken up by other factors in the middle of a dream in order to remember any of it. I recently had a sleep study done. I looked at the notes online but I didn't have the followup appointment yet. It appears I have sleep apnea & maybe other things going on. Anyways for the 1st half of the study there was no REM sleep at all which could explain why I usually barely remember dreams.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 6:11 pm

I have very complex dreams sometimes, but the ones with recurring places are quite simple.

Here's some:

An inn with a yellow porch light and a long hallway.

Outside my doctor's house, with a yellow porch light. (Huh, just noticed that similarity.)

A random house where I want the owners to leave so I can explore upstairs / downstairs.

In the doctor one I go to the porch light at night and women put my hair in curlers.
It has a 1950s vibe.

I have another recurring setting of a hair salon of some sort but it's vague.

None of them are very interesting or meaningful.

About once a year I dream I'm giving birth to a baby girl.
She's not my daughter from real life.
I'm always trying to remember who the father is or how I had a whole pregnancy without knowing.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2022, 7:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I have very complex dreams sometimes, but the ones with recurring places are quite simple.

Here's some:

An inn with a yellow porch light and a long hallway.

Outside my doctor's house, with a yellow porch light. (Huh, just noticed that similarity.)

A random house where I want the owners to leave so I can explore upstairs / downstairs.

In the doctor one I go to the porch light at night and women put my hair in curlers.
It has a 1950s vibe.

I have another recurring setting of a hair salon of some sort but it's vague.

None of them are very interesting or meaningful.

About once a year I dream I'm giving birth to a baby girl.
She's not my daughter from real life.
I'm always trying to remember who the father is or how I had a whole pregnancy without knowing.

I enjoyed that

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2022, 7:22 pm

nick007 wrote:
BreathlessJade wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I very seldom get woken up by my dreams. I usually have to get woken up by other factors in the middle of a dream in order to remember any of it. I recently had a sleep study done. I looked at the notes online but I didn't have the followup appointment yet. It appears I have sleep apnea & maybe other things going on. Anyways for the 1st half of the study there was no REM sleep at all which could explain why I usually barely remember dreams.

My sleep study was so uncomfortable with all the wires, not sure how they could fully make a proper conclusion.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2022, 7:30 pm

I had a reoccurring dream about inheriting a gigantic mansion. I mean the living room was the size of son opera theater. In the kitchen there's a door to a dark room with a very low ceiling. It has a giant tub. Massively wide and surprisingly deep at some places.

I also dreamed about a house my mom and I got, lived in for a week, then I found myself in an old apartment we lived in for years. There's always the longing to live in the new house.