Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aviandivine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Aug 2022, 10:42 pm

I love being a barista. It's detail oriented work operating all these different types of machines. Each order is a different permutation of the menu and each drink comes in a different cup. And after I make a drink, they smell it and sip it and go "mmmm!" like every time! And too I can be creative with it and make up my own drinks when it's slow. Plus I can repeat the same script with every customer.

When they come up to me:
"What can I get started for ya?"

When they're paying:
"Cash or card?"
"Together or seperate?"

When they're struggling with the card reader:
"It's different at every store, I know!"

I like feeling like I'm playing a role almost. I say what I would want a barista to say to me and do what a barista would do. And I get to take home pastries every shift!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2022, 10:48 pm

Loud music

Angry customers

Standing in one spot eight hours

Uniform

A lot of employees in a small location

Dirty

I could not imagine being a barista. Sounds like a job not suitable for autistics.

But maybe it is just me

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 7:57 am

I volunteered in a Christian coffee shop. It was great.
Making the drinks was easy and satisfying. I met a lot of people in a good environment for me.

Last edited by klanka on 28 Aug 2022, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 8:18 am

I can appreciate how being a barista would be fun. I think I’d love all those machines too.

How friendly or angry the customers are probably depends a bit on the city where you live. Glad you found a good place.

There are good and bad aspects to every job but when you find a job that you enjoy, then stay as long as you can!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 10:46 pm

A couple of years ago I went to a job interview for Starbucks

Could you please specify which company you work at? (If you don't want to, please ignore)

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2022, 1:19 am

I also like customer service because of simple scripts and knowing most customers if you serve them well leave quickly and happy. Glad you enjoy it!

My personal problems with it would be mainly the noise- foamers, espresso machines, lots of clinking, breaking glasses, people being loud, washing, heat, strong smells and rush hour pressure and having to hear many people at the same time, possibly lights if it is a place with large windows as many cafes are. Also socializing pressure with co-workers. All of these are of course a bit better or completely nonissue if it is a small place in an area that is not very busy.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 5:48 pm

aviandivine wrote:
I love being a barista. It's detail oriented work operating all these different types of machines. Each order is a different permutation of the menu and each drink comes in a different cup. And after I make a drink, they smell it and sip it and go "mmmm!" like every time! And too I can be creative with it and make up my own drinks when it's slow. Plus I can repeat the same script with every customer.

When they come up to me:
"What can I get started for ya?"

When they're paying:
"Cash or card?"
"Together or seperate?"

When they're struggling with the card reader:
"It's different at every store, I know!"

I like feeling like I'm playing a role almost. I say what I would want a barista to say to me and do what a barista would do. And I get to take home pastries every shift!

I accidentally mesed up the text.I am sorry.Is your coffee shop pricier than Starbucks?I am thinking of opening up a Christian coffee shop at some point.