20yrs 61%  61%  [ 22 ]
100yrs. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 36

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 4:32 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I feel like I'm at least 20 years younger than I actually am. Until I see that 90% of people on the internet are at least 20 years younger than I am. Then I feel old. After all, I remember when phones still had rotary dials and we had typewriters instead of keyboards.

I feel like I’m at least 20 years younger too, I’m 52, I just had my birthday few days ago. I look very young too, I have young skin I guess & no kids, I hear having kids can age you & wearing makeup. I guess it cuz of Aspergers/Autism mental age. I remember those phones, since I was born in 1970, I feel like I was born in the wrong decade, the 80s were my fave decade. Dialing those phones could hurt my fingers, I could dial the wrong number, then I used a pencil to dial. I took typing classes in high school, I learned how to type with all ten fingers, one of my fave classes. When me & my mom got the internet, I was in a chat room, I ended up typing with two fingers, I don’t know why.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 5:12 pm

This has been my experience my whole life, I seem to be perpetually lagging behind my peers. Growing up I was forever disappointed when I finally figured out 'the rules' of being whatever age I was only to find that all the kids around me had moved on to the next stage. Now in my forties I see my home-owning, business-running, pension-investing peers and yes, I'm still some way behind.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2022, 5:49 pm

babybird wrote:
I'm wondering if there's a difference between feeling younger than your age and living in the past

I would think so. Because feeling younger keeps you in the present, you just feel like a younger version

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2022, 5:51 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
This has been my experience my whole life, I seem to be perpetually lagging behind my peers. Growing up I was forever disappointed when I finally figured out 'the rules' of being whatever age I was only to find that all the kids around me had moved on to the next stage. Now in my forties I see my home-owning, business-running, pension-investing peers and yes, I'm still some way behind.

I can relate so much. And family expectations make it worse.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 6:11 pm

I'm 32, but in my mind I really am in my early 20s, therefore someone who has barely some college experience.

If the formula for people who have AS/HFA is real, by the time I turn 40, I will behave like someone who is 26, by the time I will turn 50, I will behave like someone who is 33, and the time I am 60, I will behave like someone who is 40.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 12:35 am

temp1234 wrote:
In most interactions with adults, including here on WP, I still feel like a kid that is unable to comprehend the grown-up conversation. I'm generally naive, ignorant, street-stupid and clueless about how things work in the world. In that sense, I feel far younger than I actually am, maybe like a ~12-year-old child. I don't think I will ever catch up.

I feel like I can’t hold an adult conversation too. Right now, I feel like I went backward in life.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2022, 12:50 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I'm 32, but in my mind I really am in my early 20s, therefore someone who has barely some college experience.

If the formula for people who have AS/HFA is real, by the time I turn 40, I will behave like someone who is 26, by the time I will turn 50, I will behave like someone who is 33, and the time I am 60, I will behave like someone who is 40.

Wow! Kinda neat

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 1:29 am

It’s funny when I was a kid, I couldn’t wait to grow up, now I’m an adult wanting to be a kid again. I really really cannot handle the adult responsibilities, I have a cat,it’s hard to take care of her half of the time, but I love her sooo much, without her I would be very very lonely, feeling like nobody love me, nobody care about me & I wouldn’t be happy.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 9:02 am

BreathlessJade wrote:
I'm 39 and I feel like my life stayed at a very mature 16 yr old. I just went to a youth event and I felt like that oddball peer. People 10+ years younger than me always have treated me like a little brother. Its so strange. I'm child-like he he. Like peter pan :P
Anybody else experience that?

PS: this forum has been a God sent! I've been able to share very deep things and learn to except myself.
You are much younger than you are. That is one of the hallmark signs of Autism. That is part of the definition of developmental disability. Our brains do not develop evenly across the boards as neurotypical brains do. That is part of what makes us Autistic. Each part of our brains develops individually and caps at a different level unlike an nt brain that stays even as it develops. So our social, emotional, and analytical ages will be very different from each other. I am 55 like the speed limit :D . My analytical intelligence age level is beyond comprehension but by social age functioning level is about ten years old and my emotional age functioning level is about 4 years old. It is very common for Autistic people to have much younger social and emotional ages than their chronological ages.

In fact, there was an autopsy study done by Margaret Bauman, I don't know the year, but she compared Autistic adult brains with nt adult brains. In every single Autistic brain she found that the neurons in the limbic system were too many and too small making them just like the limbic systems of children. So yes, your brain is actually much younger in certain areas than your chronological age. That is part of what defines a developmental disability.

Wreck It Ralph

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 10:58 am

Quote:
In fact, there was an autopsy study done by Margaret Bauman, I don't know the year, but she compared Autistic adult brains with nt adult brains. In every single Autistic brain she found that the neurons in the limbic system were too many and too small making them just like the limbic systems of children. So yes, your brain is actually much younger in certain areas than your chronological age. That is part of what defines a developmental disability.

That explains a lot thanks

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 2:38 pm

klanka wrote:
Quote:

That explains a lot thanks
You are welcome!

Wreck It Ralph

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 4:54 pm

I was into forms of entertainment like movies & video games in my 20's similar to how a 10yr old would have been. Whereas a lot of people I knew had mostly left those things behind, maybe just casually indulged in them.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 6:36 pm

klanka wrote:
I was into forms of entertainment like movies & video games in my 20's similar to how a 10yr old would have been. Whereas a lot of people I knew had mostly left those things behind, maybe just casually indulged in them.
That's very common in Autism

Wreck It Ralph

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 7:03 pm

I grew up way too fast and took on adult responsibilities as a child, but somehow managed to feel like I'm stuck as a permanent teenager who has been thrown into the adult world. I can manage to do most adult things I need to...I get my bills paid and clean my house, I live alone and mostly do alright buying food for myself...stuff like that. I managed to get married and divorced twice. I have a few kids and even a grandchild. But I still feel like I'm some teenager lying to the world and just pretending to be a grown up. It's weird to me. Still, at the end of the day, I think (if I'm being completely honest with myself), I'm more child than adult. I need more help than I care to admit to. Some adulting I rock. Some, I fail at quite miserably. Sometimes that bothers me, sometimes I'm fine with it. It does have its pros and cons, I suppose. I mean, if I was some super serious adult, I might not embrace the wonders of things like couch cushion forts in the living room or rolling around the floor laughing at a stupid song. I never have figured out how to take this whole life thing too seriously, and I thank my 'young-ness' for that.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2022, 9:02 pm

working this week, i noticed the level of nervousness i feel around strangers is intense around people that my mental age sort of matches. ironically, they're usually the most stuck up (it seems) late teens early 20s

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 9:31 pm

I just rounded my 69th birthday, but physically I don´t feel different from my early 40es. I don´t feel "elderly" at all. I am probably "boyish" - driving about on a boy-bicycle, doing woodwork, fishing...... and am a member of a musical practise community - practising classical piano. :D