Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2022, 11:07 am

! magz wrote:
The discussion about autism being genetic has been moved here.
The OP asks for staying on topic and let us all respect it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 11:10 am

magz wrote:
The discussion about autism being genetic has been moved here.
The OP asks for staying on topic and let us all respect it.

Thank you very much, Magz. Sorry for getting frustrated and worsening the derailment, and I appreciate you taking care of it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2022, 11:11 am

Back to the topic:

I was born perfectly the prognosed day, so no.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 11:16 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Not all autistic people were premature, but the last few weeks of gestation are important to brain function. Someone I know is autistic and she just had a preemie at 35 weeks. They delayed the birth as much as possible to encourage optimal brain development, temperature regulation, breathing and sucking / eating skills, etc.

Autism can be linked to differences in the development of the cerebellum. I'm sure some premature babies are dealing with underdeveloped cerebullums (or other parts of the brain), depending on their gestational age.

Yeah, I think being born that early and due to the lack of nutrients + oxygen that it could have messed with my brain development. I've always had motor issues and used to be very rigid as a baby, and had a lot of issues learning as a child. The other people w/ autism in my family don't have those types of problems.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 11:42 am

This might be far-fetched but I always wonder if premature birth causes the baby some sort of PTSD in addition to physiological underdevelopment. I picture the baby is content doing its thing in the womb and suddenly taken out before its brain is expecting to be born. Maybe the world is cold and bright and noisy (all the things we generally hate), and the baby wants to retreat away from all the humans without being touched a lot (ASD social issues). To that extent I wonder if premature babies are more prone to subconscious or developmental PTSD.

I know that's far-fetched but that's how I feel about the world, and I wasn't even premature.

In your case with the placental problems (abruption?) you may have been suffering even longer in an uncomfortable or unhealthy environment.

It's good that your mother's doctors discovered this and got you out ASAP.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 1:50 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
This might be far-fetched but I always wonder if premature birth causes the baby some sort of PTSD in addition to physiological underdevelopment. I picture the baby is content doing its thing in the womb and suddenly taken out before its brain is expecting to be born. Maybe the world is cold and bright and noisy (all the things we generally hate), and the baby wants to retreat away from all the humans without being touched a lot (ASD social issues). To that extent I wonder if premature babies are more prone to subconscious or developmental PTSD.

I know that's far-fetched but that's how I feel about the world, and I wasn't even premature.

In your case with the placental problems (abruption?) you may have been suffering even longer in an uncomfortable or unhealthy environment.

It's good that your mother's doctors discovered this and got you out ASAP.

People often assume that babies basically aren't "present" and aren't affected by anything until weeks or months after they're born, but things before, during, and after birth can make lasting impressions on their personality, development, etc. Just because they don't actively remember being in the womb or being born doesn't mean they don't process any of those things.

Even if the actual process of being born early isn't "traumatizing", I'm sure that being in the NICU, being in a incubator away from caregivers, having feeding tubes, medical procedures, etc. are all traumatizing in some way.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Aug 2022, 1:51 pm

Nearly two weeks late

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:00 pm

It's never an ideal thing to be born premature----but, as many people know, many people born premature live full, viable lives.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:19 pm

I was born three days late.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:21 pm

magz wrote:
Back to the topic:

I was born perfectly the prognosed day, so no.

When the doctor found out he regretted not buying a lottery ticket that day as well. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 2:59 pm

No, I wasn't born premature by any means, luckily... but on the other hand, there were indeed at some point some complications when my mother was giving birth to me, at the late stage of the labor - in other words, I couldn't get out and the midwife had to... jump onto my mom's belly to squeeze my out by force 8O Once I was told by some physiotherapist (whom I was seeing then about some other health problems a couple of years ago) that it could contribute to my SI issues and dyspraxia. Also some aspie interlocutor of mine stated once that it could also lead to my very bad case of ADD as well.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 6:13 pm

I was not born premature.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 6:16 pm

My son and I were both full-term. We are both on the spectrum.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:50 pm

I'm not.

My NT sister is.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2022, 12:02 am

Nope, at least I don't think so because it has never been mentioned and I was a big baby.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 12:58 am

To the best of my knowledge, the only thing at all unusual about my birth and my mom’s pregnancy was that she had preeclampsia near the end of it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"