Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2022, 11:32 pm

Were you born premature? How early were you born, and do you know why you were born early? Do you think that it caused you any issues besides for autism, or worsened your autism?

I was born 2 months premature. My parents noticed that I wasn't moving as much and they found out that my placenta was dying, so I had to be taken out early since I wasn't getting enough nutrients and oxygen and was going to die in a few days. They don't know how long it was like that before they noticed I was in distress. I think it caused my learning disabilities + some of my motor issues, and could have worsened my ADHD and/or autism. I have problems that other people in my family with those things don't have.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 12:10 am

Nope, I was over ten days late. I was due July 6th. I was born nearly 14 days later.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 4:42 am

I was born 5 days late.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 6:09 am

I was small, over 2 pounds smaller than my brother….but I think I was “on time.”

I was 5 pounds, 12 ounces.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 6:13 am

i was born 3 months early and the doctors thought i wasnt going to make it

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:08 am

^You certainly made it, though!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:26 am

HeroOfHyrule, you may be onto something. Being born early might account for some of your traits. Our brain is not fully developed until the age of around 12 years. Damage to our brain development before that time can produce many of the strange differences we have compared to NTs. Our brains begin to develop from almost the point of our conception.

In my case I died at around age 3. I was attacked by a large bull. The best I can determine is that it destroyed the dominant left side of my brain, but my right side of my brain was able to step in and keep me alive. As a result I became an entirely different person. Normally the right side of the brain occupies the sleep state (REM and NREM sleep). This portion of my brain is very different than the left side of the brain. As a result many of my unique traits (strengths and weaknesses) are due to this difference.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 8:39 am

I was 'premature' in the sense that my full-term birth came only 7-1/2 months after my parents were married.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 9:03 am

I was born on time, an 8 pounder. Many NT people are born prematurely

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 9:08 am

klanka wrote:
Many NT people are born prematurely.
And many are not.  What is your point?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 9:12 am

Yes, 6-8 weeks, iirc.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 9:25 am

I couldn't say for myself but my daughter who is hfa was born within one day of her due date.

Many years ago I did hear that adhd could be related to premature birth. I don't know how true that it. I also heard that if a woman has her children too close together (time wise) then it can cause problems. This could be a myth as a lot of women choose to have their children within two years of each other and they're not all born with autism or adhd etc.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 9:27 am

klanka wrote:
I was born on time, an 8 pounder. Many NT people are born prematurely

Yeah, depending on the cause and how early though being born premature can cause problems. The issue w/ my placenta can cause cerebal palsy, kidney issues, etc. depending on when in development and for how long it happens.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 9:36 am

My daughter was preemie. I bled through her entire pregnancy and haemorrhaged at 7 months. I was in a high-risk neonatal hospital where they had to stitch my cervix shut to stop labour. I remember doctors coming in and saying she would likely have CP if she was born at that time. She was born a couple of weeks later (still preemie), with ASD and ADHD but also health issues like Lupus and Epilepsy.

My dad was several months' premature and he had ASD / OCD.

I was born a week or two early, by induction. My mother's OB was going on summer holiday and she wanted him to do the delivery. I don't think I was considered preemie though.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:42 am

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Autism is genetic, not caused by premature birth, otherwise how come the majority of autistic parents on WP have at least one autistic child?

Yeah, I know, and I didn't even say it was. I was just curious if other people were born premature and had issues due to it. I hope this comment doesn't derail my thread. :/

Not all autistic people were premature, but the last few weeks of gestation are important to brain function. Someone I know is autistic and she just had a preemie at 35 weeks. They delayed the birth as much as possible to encourage optimal brain development, temperature regulation, breathing and sucking / eating skills, etc.

Autism can be linked to differences in the development of the cerebellum. I'm sure some premature babies are dealing with underdeveloped cerebullums (or other parts of the brain), depending on their gestational age.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:47 am

Here's a link you might find interesting.

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/large ... erm-birth/