Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:22 am

! magz wrote:
Split from:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=408309
Autism is genetic, not caused by premature birth, otherwise how come the majority of autistic parents on WP have at least one autistic child?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:28 am

Joe90 wrote:
Autism is genetic, not caused by premature birth, otherwise how come the majority of autistic parents on WP have at least one autistic child?

Yes, but the parents' genetic differences which lead to their own autism often cause comorbid blood clotting disorders, pregnancy loss, and premature birth when their (autistic or NT) children are born.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:28 am

It's PARTIALLY genetic. Sometimes, it is what is called "idiopathic" (the word "idiopathic" has nothing to do with "idiot." It means of "unknown origin").

Some people (including myself) don't have any autism at all in their family.

I would never discourage somebody from having children because they are autistic. It is not "heritable" enough to justify this.

There are a great many families who have members who are "eccentric," yet who are high-achievers, despite their so-called "social deficiencies." Probably some of these people would be diagnosed with autism today.

Then, there are many autistic folks who are viable persons, even if they are not "high-achievers." I fall into this category.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's PARTIALLY genetic. Sometimes, it is what is called "idiopathic" (the word "idiopathic" has nothing to do with "idiot." It means of "unknown origin").

I would never discourage somebody from having children because they are autistic. It is not "heritable" enough to justify this.

There are a great many families who have members who are "eccentric," yet who are high-achievers, despite their so-called "social deficiencies." Probably some of these people would be diagnosed with autism today.

Then, there are many autistic folks who are viable persons, even if they are not "high-achievers." I fall into this category.

It can still be genetic if no one in your family was autistic.
The specific mutations can cause a whole list of differences.
Autism is only one possibility from that list.
They might have everything on the list (including autism), or not.

Also it's like eye colour.
The parents' genes might each be a little bit off, but not enough to make them ASD.
When combined, they make a new mutation with potential ASD.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:35 am

Joe90 wrote:

Yeah, I know, and I didn't even say it was. I was just curious if other people were born premature and had issues due to it. I hope this comment doesn't derail my thread. :/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:36 am

That's pretty much what I've been saying----but you probably said it better.

It's pretty random. Like you said, you could have two non-autistic people produce a baby with a possible predisposition towards autism---but some will pick up the full symptoms, while others only get the "phenotype," and still others become totally "normal."

My mother smoked while I was in the womb----then again, EVERYBODY smoked in the early 60s, and most kids came out fine.

Back to the subject: I was small, but not premature. They really weren't that precise about "due dates" in the early 60s.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 29 Aug 2022, 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

This conversation doesn't pertain to my thread at all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:42 am

Sorry about that.

But it does, in a way. Because of the speculation that prematurity could cause autism. I don't feel I veered off the topic all that much.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 29 Aug 2022, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sorry about that.

But it does, in a way. Because of the speculation that prematurity could cause autism. I don't feel I veered off the topic all that much.

I really don't want this thread to turn into a debate about the genetics of it. I asked a simple question and if I don't want the topic to veer from it then it doesn't really matter if someone doesn't think they veered from the topic.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:46 am

All right. It's your thread. But you could have put it nicer, instead of "calling me out." I wouldn't "call you out" like that.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
All right. It's your thread. But you could have put it nicer, instead of "calling me out." I wouldn't "call you out" like that.

There's a constant recurrence of people derailing threads on here and completely ignoring the OP + I said I didn't want the comment to derail it yet you still replied with an off topic comment. This is the last I'll say about it but I do not feel bad one bit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 10:58 am

I'm glad you don't feel "bad." I wouldn't want you to feel "bad."

Sure, there is much "derailing" going on. But what has that got to do with me? It's not right. My comment had everything to do with "prematurity." It's part of a discussion. Discussions make us smarter.

I'll say no more about it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Aug 2022, 11:09 am

! magz wrote:
Now, if anyone has anything to add about autism being or not being or being partially genetic, this is the right place to do it :)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 11:40 am

I just feel there’s too many autistic people denying themselves the pleasure of having children because of the notion that they are “defective.”

Isabella pretty much “put the nail on the head.” (I didn’t get the idiom right---it's "hit the nail on the head.")

Non-autistic people could have autistic children.

Autistic people can have “normal” children.

Being autistic alone shouldn’t prevent someone from having children.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 29 Aug 2022, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 11:58 am

I didn't even want to start a new thread on this, the mods forced it. I'm not really interested, I was just clarifying that most autistic parents seem to have autistic children (some parents here on this site have 3 children on the spectrum). I think genetics play more of a part in autism than being born prematurely does.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2022, 12:03 pm

It probably does.

I just feel the whole idea that autistic people are, invariably, "genetically defective" is not correct.

I'm not really speaking to you, Joe. I'm just talking in general about folks who feel like they are "less" than other people because they have autism.

It's sort of personal because that's what people thought of me back when I was younger.....that I was "less" than other people...that I was "defective." That's all hogwash. And the "proof is in the pudding."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 29 Aug 2022, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.