Do any of you feel you can't escape self hatred?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2022, 10:49 am

I really don't like myself. I find it's easier it I like other people like my family and friends. I have trouble accepting myself since I think (don't know for sure) there is a few people I can name that don't like me and I would be one of those people on that list. I know another reason I don't like myself is because of my weight and diabetics. I wish I could escape my self hatred and I know it's impossible. I Here's a video of another autistic adult having trouble accepting herself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf2hHWfz5Cc

Last edited by catpiecakebutter on 30 Aug 2022, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 10:52 am

While I know some aspects of my self need improvement, I hate myself much less than other people hate me.

But so what?  There is more about me to love than there is to hate!

Love yourself, even when no one else will.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 11:07 am

I was baptised six years ago. If I had the choice of dying as soon as I came out of the water I'd take that no problem.

I can't hate myself as a person cos my actions don't cause the bad things to happen, they just happen. I meet the wrong people and end up in the wrong place. It doesn't matter if I'm good,bad,self indulgent, or austere with worldly pleasures. I've had bad luck no matter what behaviour I've had.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 11:11 am

When you look at the true source of that hatred you'll most likely find the source is external rather than internal. A lot of us who are different have been taught to hate ourselves by the people who hate us. So its not really self-hatred at all...once you realize that, its easier to escape it.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 12:42 pm

DanielW wrote:
When you look at the true source of that hatred you'll most likely find the source is external rather than internal. A lot of us who are different have been taught to hate ourselves by the people who hate us. So its not really self-hatred at all...once you realize that, its easier to escape it.

Yeah that's true.
If anyone goes out of their way to show hatred to me they are usually mentally ill

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 5:25 pm

I do not try to "escape" self hatred

Instead I hate everyone else more than I hate myself

(Shift the coordinate axis)

"Thin line between love and hate"

Love and hate are not opposites

Love and hate are similar in that they involve excessive unnecessary preoccupation

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 5:41 pm

A lot of people say that if you don't love yourself then no-one else will love you, but I don't find that's true. I'm not overly keen on myself but I've been loved by my boyfriend for the last 8 years in a stable relationship.

I try not to show that I hate myself. If someone compliments me, I always smile and act proud. Well, compliments do make me happy. But I think it's the things I have done in the past that make me hate myself. Also, because I'm hanging on to the thread of hope that I was misdiagnosed with ASD, I beat myself up if I do something that's typically Aspie, because I don't want to be on the spectrum.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 7:05 pm

There is no point of self love, if one's idea of love isn't actually love... Or one's own reaction towards in recognizing and receiving love isn't to love back.

Half of me can love, understands love, and knows how to love back.
Half of me is anything but. It even rejects love, misperceive love, and does not love back.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 9:18 pm

I don't hate myself. Some people might hate me and try to change me, but I choose to love and accept myself as I am.