Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 10:52 am

Hi:
For a few years, I volunteered once a month at special tour for individuals with autism and their families because I am really passionate about this area. As an autistic adult, I thought being involved would make a bigger difference and it did for a while. However, the company on the tours

1. Had a set of rules for its employees and volunteers
2. Though it was allowed in the beginning, the company stopped letting me give information to the families. I could only talk to them one on one. Otherwise, let the related staff give the main information
3. The staff started blowing me off and started acting very condescending

holymackerel
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2022, 2:18 pm

Why do you think you can not be better than people deserve? Surely that means that you will never be better than any of these people? I had a uni tutor that tried to bully the autistic students in the class, I ended up complaining, now they have added autism in to their diversity training programs. Usually with bosses like that it is best to make a complaint, but yeah, people are not always going to do what’s best for you. You will have to raise the problem somehow.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 1:10 pm

This company, who I volunteered is supposed to provide a tour for individuals on the spectrum and I volunteered because I had experience in this area as well as autistic. So I went to share my experiences and feedback. Still, I feel they didn't have my best interests at heart because they have their own agenda. Rather, I now see they are more interested in exploiting those individuals and their families on the tours so they can make a sales pitch.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 6:13 am

The impersonal and mechanical characteristics of an organizational machine can be misunderstood in a volunteer context. As a result, it can be surprising to find that one is considered just a cog.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 9:51 am

Capitalism is the kiss of death.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Capitalism is the kiss of death.

Ok, here is the service:
I can't tell everyone about what company is doing this but it's those autism airport rehearsal tours that are supposed to be go great? Those tours are one big scam because they were using autism and sensory to try and sell their nicer middle class seats for the families. They also assumed that just because every person is autistic, they all have auditory sensory issues therefore, everyone should buy these more expensive seats.

They were also very rude in the end and didn't take anything I had to offer seriously. I am going to write a letter to the director of the program because he's nice. It's those other personnel who help with the tours who are such rats.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 1:24 pm

I wouldn't call those people "rats" per se, I would say they are more or less just doing their job just for the paycheck and nothing else. Being in a professional autistic group I have learned that the original people that made said place or company could have all the best intentions in the world but, unless you perfectly screen every person to see if they have the same ideals(which the majority do not) the company would just fail before it even began because of no staff.

I have felt taken for granted and felt that my complaints or issues with my group wasn't being taken seriously and almost left(actually I would've but, other things prevent me from doing so). You can try talking to the boss but I will say there is a fair chance he won't be able to do anything about it without taking a big risk monetary wise. If you do go talk to the boss and nothing happens then the only thing left is to stay and get what you can out of it or just leave and let things go on. Sometimes there are situations in which there is nothing you can do to help.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 1:36 pm

"There is no way of proving your point to someone whose income or position depend upon believing the contrary."
- Sydney Smith
The world would be different beyond recognition if not for unscrupulous greed, resistance to change, and obsolete busy work.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 1:55 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I wouldn't call those people "rats" per se, I would say they are more or less just doing their job just for the paycheck and nothing else. Being in a professional autistic group I have learned that the original people that made said place or company could have all the best intentions in the world but, unless you perfectly screen every person to see if they have the same ideals(which the majority do not) the company would just fail before it even began because of no staff.

I have felt taken for granted and felt that my complaints or issues with my group wasn't being taken seriously and almost left(actually I would've but, other things prevent me from doing so). You can try talking to the boss but I will say there is a fair chance he won't be able to do anything about it without taking a big risk monetary wise. If you do go talk to the boss and nothing happens then the only thing left is to stay and get what you can out of it or just leave and let things go on. Sometimes there are situations in which there is nothing you can do to help.

Hi:
I was never employed with the airline, I just volunteered once a month with the tours. Actually, the personnel who work for the airline also supposedly volunteer their time by going to the tours on that one day in full uniform.

As for the airline itself, they often brag about having these great accommodations for passengers traveling with disabilities. When I had tried to network with these personnel work work in this area, they seem to be very full of themselves. They are definitely are when it comes to the tours. However, that's not to say there are some nice people who who make the time and effort like the director and the co director.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 9:41 am

I had a friend who took me for granted. She used me and only wanted money from me. She wouldn't call me for months and than she'd phone me as her birthday approached.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 10:05 am

That's terrible Cockney and they were not your friend for sure,

However, we are talking about companies and organizations that supposedly raise "Autism Awareness and Autism Acceptance" by offering accommodations like airport tours. This issue here is that they allow people on the spectrum to be involved as an outside volunteer but take for granted
1. The effort
2. The dedication
3. The hard work
4. The time
5. The input

Yet, the people who work at the company are taken for granted by
1. Not being allowed to have a voice
2. Not being taken seriously
3. Not being respected as a person by having other members constantly being criticized, condescending and reprimanded for this or that.
4.Not showing any gratitude]
5. They blow them off

I left the airport tours because things eventually started getting toxic and especially this year.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 6:42 am

I'm always surprised to hear that volunteers are getting pushed around and treated badly. I'd have thought that the only thing that allows that to happen in a paid job is the employee's fear of losing their income, and that most volunteers would override the management or just quit if the organisation didn't deal with them respectfully. If I were to donate my time to somebody else's project, I'd be mindful that I was doing them a favour and I'd feel that "beggars can't be choosers." But clearly it doesn't work that way for a lot of people.