Reasons why I feel I lack intelligence

Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 2:35 pm

Over the last couple of years I have begun for the first time to think that I am not intelligent.

I think my areas of intelligence are all over the place, and the things I am good with are of no use to anyone.

I spend so much of my time reading, its my main hobby, I consume so many books and I love learning. If you ask me how the mechanisms of UK politics work I could tell you, if you ask me about the history of various countries I could tell you lots of it, but if you asked me to put a shelf up, or cook a meal, or explain anything with numbers, like what APR means, then I simply cannot help you.

It's like I have a mental block on some very basic things in life. I have come to realise that if I have a real interest in something then I will hoover up info on it, but if I am not interested then my brain won't even let me understand the very basics of it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 3:00 pm

I'm good at writing but I couldn't tell you what adjectives and nouns and all that are, even after reading about it.

I think I'm also frustrated because my biggest dream is to get my books published but nobody will or can help me with knowing which is the best way to go about it, and because I find typing long texts difficult and boring, my stories are all handwritten and apparently no publishers accept any handwritten work, everything must be on a screen otherwise you'll fail. Computers, computers, computers. :roll:

Yes I know I write a lot here but that's on my iPhone.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 12:37 am

People HAVE tried to advise you how to go about it.

You do have to type out what you’ve written, for the most part.

You can also self-publish.

To get famous takes a lot of luck even for the best writers. There’s so much competition.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 12:44 am

One of my friends is handwriting a book in pencil.

I'm just about finished writing my book.

My daughter has published a few already.

Put your effort into finishing it for now.

Worry about the rest later.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 12:49 am

Of course. It’s best to finish now, and worry about the rest later.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 3:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm good at writing but I couldn't tell you what adjectives and nouns and all that are, even after reading about it.

I think I'm also frustrated because my biggest dream is to get my books published but nobody will or can help me with knowing which is the best way to go about it, and because I find typing long texts difficult and boring, my stories are all handwritten and apparently no publishers accept any handwritten work, everything must be on a screen otherwise you'll fail. Computers, computers, computers. :roll:

Yes I know I write a lot here but that's on my iPhone.

Even in the pre personal computer 20th Century authors had to submit a manuscript to the publisher on typewritten paper. A physical ream of typing paper. Thats what Hemingway, Stephen King, and Agatha Christie, all had to do.

Today you still hafta use a keyboard. The minor difference being it can now go into device, and doesnt have to go on physical paper. But its still the same thing.

But I HOPE you're not trying to type novels into a smart phone! You might wanna get a larger keyboard (like get a lap top or desk top). :lol:

So once you have done the creating - you have to be a stenographer- and type a smooth draft.

Sorry. But as Thomas Edison said "genius is one percent inspiration, and 99 percent.perspiration".

Typing it over is part of the 99 percent.

Fun fact: Hemmingway preferred to write description in long hand, but when he wrote dialogue he would switch to the typewriter (even at the rough draft stage). Partly because when folks talk to each other "it kinda sounds like a typewriter".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 4:50 am

Writing out my books was fun. Copying them out on to the computer is too hard for someone with ADHD like me. I've tried it, but I just keep losing focus. I need someone else to type it up for me but I can't expect anyone to and I can't find anyone who will be willing.

My handwriting is so neat, it almost looks like it has been typed up.

Writing is the fun part, spilling out your creativity as you go along. Copying out on to a computer is extremely monotonous and requires hyperfocus - something I don't have.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:56 am

Joe90 wrote:

This is actually... For the lack of better word, normal.

Really, who bothers knowing which is which unless they're linguists, translators or teachers or something?

Actually, no. I know teachers that still struggle to tell which is which. And no, none of them are ND or weird.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 12:21 pm

Aren't there voice to text functions that could type your story if you read it out loud?

Otherwise you can pay someone to type your fair copy.

How long is this book?
If it doesn't require major editing I could type it and send it back to you as a digital file.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 12:42 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

This is actually... For the lack of better word, normal.

Really, who bothers knowing which is which unless they're linguists, translators or teachers or something?

Actually, no. I know teachers that still struggle to tell which is which. And no, none of them are ND or weird.

I beg to differ. I never meet anyone over ten years old who had trouble remembering the difference between adjective and a noun.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 12:45 pm

That would be sweet, Isabella :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 1:43 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Aren't there voice to text functions that could type your story if you read it out loud?

Otherwise you can pay someone to type your fair copy.

How long is this book?
If it doesn't require major editing I could type it and send it back to you as a digital file.

That's nice of you, but I literally have about 4 complete written books, each approximately 400 pages so it will take lots of time and patience, both of which I (and probably you) don't have.

It doesn't require major editing though, all I need to do is change the names. Are there actually people I can hire who will type out my work if I paid them? If so, how much would it cost in pounds?
(Something I could Google but just wanted to converse instead).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 1:45 pm

Folks DO type for hire. No idea what they charge.

Gosh...you're prolific.

What kinda stuff do you write? I know that its fiction. But what kind? Mysteries? Or ...what?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 2:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Folks DO type for hire. No idea what they charge.

Gosh...you're prolific.

What kinda stuff do you write? I know that its fiction. But what kind? Mysteries? Or ...what?

I don't think it is fiction, as it's about my life (autobiography). I figured that I can't steal anyone else's story ideas if I write a story about my own life experiences, because everybody's life is different even if it's the same (if you get what I mean).

What does prolific mean?

I made my autobiographies into comedy-drama. It's not comedic enough to be cartoonish, it's just very subtle comedy thrown in with a lot of real-life drama that almost all adolescents go through. It's about me going through life between the ages of 10 and 20, having to deal with whatever life throws at me, and my thoughts and feelings about it. There are twists in it too - because my life is full of twists. :lol:
It's not really about autism or ADHD, I'll leave it up to the reader to figure that out (although there's no obvious/stereotypical autism-ness).

If you read the Diary Of A Wimpy Kid series then you'll see that my stories are similar to that, but my own original plots of course. Jeff Kinney seems to have succeeded with that, and there are book series done by other writers that are similar. The only difference is my stories are centered around a British girl, instead of an American boy. So people might like that difference.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 2:14 pm

Prolific means you write a lot.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 2:21 pm

I hope you don't mind me posting these.

I grew up on them and knew the parts of speech when I was about five.

School House Rock:

Nouns

Verbs

Adverbs

Adjectives

Conjunctions

Interjections

"Interjections" is my favourite one. :heart: