Reasons why I feel I lack intelligence

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 5:58 pm

1. I find it hard to use big words even in written posts, in other words my vocabulary isn't very wide

2. I find it hard to learn and memorize new facts or information. The only information I CAN remember well are birthdays, people's names and faces, things that happened in the past, stuff like that

3. I find anything to do with mathematics hard, even working out which buses to get at which times just makes my brain shut down. I also find it hard to work out sums on paper or in my head

4. I don't understand much about politics even though I'd like to, but I just can't take in the new information. I tend to learn political facts from other people in my social circle rather than through reading and researching

5. I believe even the most far-fetched conspiracy theories that I'm told, until I'm reassured otherwise

6. I wasn't really into reading as a child and I could only read books aimed at younger children. I remember having 3 encyclopaedias in my bedroom at one point but I only used them to stand on when I wanted to reach the top shelf in the toy cupboard. I had a children's encyclopaedia but all I remember doing was flicking through it laughing at the funny cartoony pictures

7. I find it hard to keep up if a conversation is about difficult things like machinery or bus routes, but if the conversation is about social gossip then I'm completely caught up and 100% interested

Yes, I can spell and use punctuation and all that all right. That's one thing I am good at. But I'm not as intelligent as an Aspie should be.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 7:07 pm

Look on the bright side, you won't be worrying about the things you won't think of.

Higher intelligence comes at a price of mental peace.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 9:30 pm

I feel as though I'm one of the slower ones on WP. I don't know about math and science. I don't know enough about politics to hold a debate with anyone here. My posts are so simple, it looks as though English is my second language instead of my mother tounge.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Aug 2022, 11:35 pm

Don't worry, it's a cliche that people on the autism spectrum are somehow superintelligent. Just like our symptoms and looks and personalities and interests are a spectrum. The idea of specialization is more likely the reason for this cliche; if we work in a field of our special interest it might seem like we are a genius when we are just more driven or in a flow state just as anyone who is lucky enough to be doing something they absolutely, really, really love.

As for other jobs mostly I would say we tend to overcompensate at work due to our insecurities and maybe also knowledge of difficulties in aquiring jobs and dealing with the stress of changing a job.

Secondly, intelligence is not a thing that necessarily leads to a better life, despite neurotypicals claiming they value it, mostly they don't, what they mean by "valuing intelligence" is usually that they value someone who is similar to their own intelligence that largely shares their opinions and values. Even more than that they mean people who have charm, namely -social intelligence. Anyways intelligence doesn't necessarily allow for any more job security or relationships, social intelligence is unfortunately much more important in those things.

Big words you can learn, they're not a sign of intelligence- more often neurotypical people seem to feel it's a sign of insecurity when used outside of an official context. Writing is a skill that gets easier the more you do it.

I don't remember much of facts unless my special intrests and I even mix those up. I think it's partially stress related but mostly just an AS/ADD thing. I'm not very interested in maths, machines or bus routes. I do like reading but I prefer nonfiction and comic novels to most fiction.

I don't think there's any sense in comparing yourself to others. There are millions of people who are all different than you, more this, less this. You can't be all of them. You are you and there's nothing wrong with being the way you are. People on the spectrum are not stereotypes either.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 1:02 am

I'm not all that intelligent, I was never any good at Maths I did a numercy course and I am able to do my own banking.
I don't go on the PPR thread as I 'm not all that good putting into words about issues they talk about.
I also have trouble not being able to concentrate on things too long.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 6:06 am

I don’t feel you “lack intelligence.”

timf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 6:09 am

Pro 11:22 As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.

The proverb cited above can serve as an illustration similar to someone with intelligence but without wisdom. Wisdom is so much more important that intelligence. Those who have wisdom but do not excel in intelligence are often said to have "common sense". However, sadly, it is not that common.

A person's vocabulary is often a result of both the richness of the verbal environment they had as a child and the books they have read.

When you consider the large number of people who have trashed their own lives with drugs, alcohol, indiscriminate fornication, and poorly thought out relationship choices, one begins to appreciate wisdom of any amount over intelligence.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 6:10 am

If you're really very unintelligent you wouldn't be aware of it. :) Intelligence is not equal to success. Most of us share similar woes in the NT world and can't get ahead. You'll be all right.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 7:46 am

Politicians are great talkers and can come back quickly with any lying answer to a question.

They are also some of the most dumbest people around. :D

- George Bernie Shaw

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 9:33 am

I also feel that I lack intelligence because I cry easily.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 9:43 am

The lesson of the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz is that you can confer a college degree upon someone but you can't confer upon them a brain. Truer words have never been spoken. Plenty of "intelligent" people are quite stupid.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 9:46 am

Joe, I have never known you to post unintelligently; however, yours truly is often the victim of mental-pause.

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 11:00 am

The fact that you carefully thought out your opening post to this thread contradicts what you are trying to prove.

Personally I think that what you are lacking is affection and attention in your personal life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 11:20 am

I don't think you come off as unintelligent.

People always have gaps in their knowledge, topics that are harder to focus on and retain information about, etc. Even very intelligent people will have areas that they're subpar in; someone of average intelligence can have topics they understand in great depth.

If there's topics one finds so dry that it's impossible to give them enough attention to retain knowledge on, it makes sense that one would likely be weak in discussions that involve those topics but it doesn't mean that person is dumb. At most it might mean some of their current positions aren't very well-substantiated and might change if they engage more with those topics.

Someone who lacks the insight to recognize some of the weaknesses you mention would appear less intelligent than someone who doesn't recognize short-comings they possess. One must have at least a degree of insight in order to avoid falling victim to Dunning-Kruger effect after all.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 8:55 pm

I’m the same way. My vocabulary isn't very wide & I lack in intelligence, I think it’s because of my learning disability, I feel dumb alot. I hate reading mail, they are toooo much mail, I have trouble with emails too. I have trouble with math, my senior year of high school, I got D’s, I still count on my fingers. I can count by 5s, 10s & 20s, I always use a calculator on my iPad. I did love to read when I was in my 20s, but my reading level wasn’t great, I read teenager books.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 10:17 pm

I'd still say that I'm not as intelligent as some people on WP. I don't feel very intelligent even though I can write a post. I don't think intelligence always means one is unaware of how intelligent they are.

I always think of intellect as being good at logical things like math, science, technology and solving puzzles, and hyperfocus and memorising facts and details about logical topics.

I remember a girl at school who was very intelligent. She got A grades in every subject and was able to contain so much information the teachers taught and just knew exactly what to write or do in classes. She was a nice, decent, honest girl too, not some entitled know-it-all or anything. Me, I was the opposite to her. I struggled in class, found it hard to focus or remember what the teachers taught, never once got a grade higher than a C, and was in the slow readers group and the bottom classes for most classes. I got along with kids with learning difficulties better.

I think I was good in English class because I was a good speller and could use punctuation, but in the 2000s when I was at high school spelling and punctuation wasn't that important, they looked more at how good you were at explaining things like the details of a poem, book or movie, which I wasn't very good at. So, despite my good spelling and punctuation, I didn't get the grade I wanted in English.