Reasons why I feel I lack intelligence

Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 10:27 pm

To be fair, most of us aren't as intelligent as some people on WP. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 11:19 pm

The smarted thing you can do is know what you don't know, a lot of very high IQ people have a real issue with that one.

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Sep 2022, 1:13 am

know that you dont know

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 1:19 am

You don't have to use big words as long as you choose your small words carefully.

Plus people don't have to be forced to tolerate people based on their intelligence or lack of.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 2:45 pm

I'd rather be saved by a person who is supposedly "not intelligent," but is excellent at survival skills.....than a person of supposedly "high intelligence" who lacks the common sense to acquire survival skills.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 11:22 pm

My artistic abilities make up for my lack of book smarts.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2022, 12:54 am

Joe90 wrote:
1. I find it hard to use big words even in written posts, in other words my vocabulary isn't very

2. I find it hard to learn and memorize new facts or information. The only information I CAN remember well are birthdays, people's names and faces, things that happened in the past, stuff like that

3. I find anything to do with mathematics hard, even working out which buses to get at which times just makes
4. I don't understand much about politics even though I'd like to, but I just can't take in the new information. I t
5. I believe even the most far-fetched conspiracy theories that I'm told, until I'm reassured otherwise
6. I wasn't really into reading as a child and I could only read books aimed at younger children. I remember
7. I find it hard to keep up if a conversation is about difficult things like machinery or bus routes, but if the

But I'm not as intelligent as an Aspie should be.

You have never come off to me as unintelligent in ur posts! Some quick notes

1-5 are all related to memory! My memory is really crappy too, though in a kinda opposite way to yours, LOL
Possibly 6-7 too

Like that doc says, "If you've met one person on the spectrum, you've met one person on the spectrum"

Eidetic (photographic) memory is much rarer than the media would have us believe. Personally I have a good vocab and memory of words, but faces birthdays, other facts? Nope!

It also made me think I wasn't Aspie or on the spectrum cos I didn't like reading factual things, as opposed to stories. I was always annoyed at how much I forgot so I tended to read fiction way more, which helped with vocab, along with my parents deciding not to have TV from when I was eight onwards!

Big words are often used to obfuscate meaning (basically hide or blur) It is much easier to say nothing of substance using lots of big words, which is why politicians do it! It also means it is easier for them to say later, they didn't promise xyz etc.

a favourite quote of mine is attributed to many people, but basically:
"If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter"

Much harder to be clearer and convey concepts with fewer words, but more people are likely to hear the message.

"Weasel words" is another description of how politicians talk.

7. I think the majority of people are like that! Me:
machinery: yes maybe
bus routes: nope, nor directions in general
gossip: nuh
celebrities names or pics nup
fictional characters or books : YEP
Some music, tv films: yep, but not the actors, just the content!

IQ is a social and abstract concept, and does not mean intelligent, and IQ tests only measure one kind of intelligence.

IQ scores have also been proved to be neither a good predictor of either income, job satisfaction or success!

EQ or emotional quotient on the other hand is.

The good thing? It is much easier to increase your EQ than IQ, which also tends to favour people with western upbringing and rigid ways of thinking.

There are also other tests too, I believe, like Musical 'intelligence'.

One other thing that comes to mind is that many of us are good at telling when people are lying, and in fact that is one of the less obvious causes of ASD outburst or acting out in kids. We may not know what the truth is, but can sense we're being lied to or not given the whole picture, which than ramps up anxiety and fear levels so much we have to burst out somehow.

So maybe your superpower is inherently not trusting politicians or politics cos it is all such a big weaselly game of point scoring and fact tennis, and not actually much about improving people's lives or telling the truth.

Or I could be totally wrong!

The way to be happy is about earning lots of money, buying or stealing lots of things, or being intelligent, and definitely not about comparing yourself to others, it is about being content with what you have in the moment.

If only I could take that on personally more! But flaws and imperfection is what gives character!

I love sketchplanations btw because he is so good at using a few words and sketches to convey difficult and interesting ideas

https://sketchplanations.com/how-to-spe ... -pooh-bear
https://sketchplanations.com/fact-tennis

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 6:12 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm not as intelligent as an Aspie should be.

You probably just aren't very interested in technical, nerdy things. Doesn't mean you're not intelligent. I suspect it takes at least as much intelligence to deal with people as it does to deal with (say) the theory of relativity. Personally I find it easier to solve technical problems than to get very far with people.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 6:24 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

You probably just aren't very interested in technical, nerdy things. Doesn't mean you're not intelligent. I suspect it takes at least as much intelligence to deal with people as it does to deal with (say) the theory of relativity. Personally I find it easier to solve technical problems than to get very far with people.

Yes. She is probably smart in the very area that most autistics are not which is in the social realm.

Which is further evidence that though is probably something neurodiverse it may not be autism/aspergers, but ADHD.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 6:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes. She is probably smart in the very area that most autistics are not which is in the social realm.

Which is further evidence that though is probably something neurodiverse it may not be autism/aspergers, but ADHD.

If I didn't have ASD then why don't I make friends well? :cry:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 7:03 am

Maybe Im wrong.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 7:13 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Maybe Im wrong.

I don't want you to be wrong. It's why I'm so depressed about my lack of friends compared to my peers, because it proves I have ASD. :cry:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 10:02 am

^
Yes having few friends is a depressing thought. I don't think it 100% proves ASD, though I don't say it's not that. Sometimes it's just bad luck. But ASD isn't a brick wall barrier against making and keeping friends.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 10:26 am

Depends how you define a friend really. I’ve had one friend for the last 50+ years. I’ve had other friends… right place, right time… but I’m not one to keep in touch. Former work colleagues, former band-mates and aquaintances don’t count. I certainly don’t count internet friends… although there are a few on WP I could easily have a coffee with.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 10:44 am

On one hand...you understandibly cant stand the folks that surround you because you not interesting in 'going out and getting drunk". But on the other hand you feel that you cant converse with a better class of people. So therein lies the rub.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 11:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
On one hand...you understandibly cant stand the folks that surround you because you not interesting in 'going out and getting drunk". But on the other hand you feel that you cant converse with a better class of people. So therein lies the rub.

It's not that I can't stand the folks around me for going out and getting drunk, I just can't stand the idea of going out and getting drunk. But I still tried to get myself socially involved in them and wanted to be invited in activities they were doing that didn't involve drinking, but they still left me out.
I try to add friends of friends on Facebook but they just reject my friend request, while my cousin has loads of friends of friends of friends who she never met on her Facebook. My cousin abandoned her school friends and they all moved on, but now they're all in touch and her high school best friend loves her again. Me, I never abandoned anyone, and I try to use Facebook to get back in touch with people but nobody wants to know.
It just makes me feel very depressed and isolated.