Reasons why I feel I lack intelligence

Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 6:27 am

I knew the basic distinction between “noun” and “adjective” when I was about 8.

Certainly not the more technical distinctions.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:44 am

i lack intelligence too

my husband gets a good laugh out of my absolute lack of knowledge on general knowledge quizzes

i am dyslexic so i struggle with spelling and writing too but i use spell checker to help me when typing out my posts here

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:59 pm

I see long, wordy posts of support in The Haven and all I can offer are Sweet Pea hugs, because I'm too simple to put a lot of words together.

Simple Schultz....that's a good one.

Siddiq_Sultan
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2022, 3:03 am

Have the same issues, but I started overcompensating via training n-back task and relational training. Before I was unable to focus and sit through half a page of Kant, unable to even understand these long sentences, but now I sometimes read for a whole hour or two (with short breaks of course) without feeling fatigue and understanding what I'm reading (which still hard sometimes, because the wording is cruel). Training n-back and reational logic is hard work with a lot of frustration, sometimes apathy and hysterics, but it helped me a lot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 1:10 pm

I have an IQ of 86, I speak with a German accent and I have a funny face. I was called ret*d all through school.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 1:22 pm

I feel stupid because I worry too much. I know they say worrying is usually done by people with higher IQs but my worrying is due to ignorance (lack of knowledge and understanding of certain things).

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Nov 2022, 10:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
I'm good at writing but I couldn't tell you what adjectives and nouns and all that are, even after reading about it.

This is actually... For the lack of better word, normal.

Really, who bothers knowing which is which unless they're linguists, translators or teachers or something?

Actually, no. I know teachers that still struggle to tell which is which. And no, none of them are ND or weird.

I beg to differ. I never meet anyone over ten years old who had trouble remembering the difference between adjective and a noun.

Yeah, well me, age 47. Grammar seemed to be less of a thing when I was learning. fads maybe? dunno.

CockneyRebel wrote:
I have an IQ of 86, I speak with a German accent and I have a funny face. I was called ret*d all through school.

memory != IQ

I got called ret*d, gay, and do much more.

I'm ASD, ADHD, but my IQ is between 142-160 depending on the test, the day, and the weather.

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 10:06 am

Perhaps your alleged lack of intelligence is a feature of low self esteem rather than genuine, low intelligence?

You seem articulate, and I know you say that is not important, but it does determine that you have a certain level of verbal IQ at least.

Who cares whether you are intelligent or not anyway? It's only really an issue when intelligence is worth something & in today's world, unless you use intelligence to make money - no-one really appreciates intelligence anyway.