Being Expected to Like ALL Disabled People Bcuz yr Autistic?

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

binstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2022, 5:50 am

Instead of liking someone just because they are "disabled", I rather like someone because they are nice. At the same time I deserve the right to dislike anyone who is an a***hole, whether they are "disabled" or not.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:52 am

binstein wrote:
Instead of liking someone just because they are "disabled", I rather like someone because they are nice. At the same time I deserve the right to dislike anyone who is an a***hole, whether they are "disabled" or not.

^^^ Exactly. I hope the OP reads this.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 9:24 am

Thank you for the above redirect to correct topic …. Just added a observation to the thread .

where ever you go ,there you are

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Sep 2022, 1:23 pm

binstein wrote:
At the same time I deserve the right to dislike anyone who is an a***hole, whether they are "disabled" or not.

A lot of people use this exact reason to exclude autistic people though, or even egg them to meltdowns. Idk, it's a very difficult subject to know what's right thing to do because people might seem like they are as*holes but they are struggling with being social or with their mental health. I don't know.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 1:26 pm

Just treat "disabled" people like you would anybody else-----like how YOU want to be treated.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:58 pm

I do tend to live by the "treat others how you wish to be treated" motto, and the only people that have been nice to be in my life are those that have the same motto and see me for the nice person that I am rather than a boring, annoying wimp that's unworthy of friendship.

Otherwise, in all my 32 years I have been on this planet, I have noticed that most NT people I have met (school, college, work, etc) tend to be drawn to as*holes and not notice it, even though I can see that they're an as*hole a mile off.
Not all, but most NTs would go out of their way to keep the as*holes happy than to care or accept people like me.

A lot of Aspies here have been treated atrociously by people at some point in their lives, much more than the crap I've had from people, and it's unrealistic to just excuse their behaviour as "well maybe my autism makes me an as*hole to them so I deserve it".

In an ideal world, all people would treat everyone how they'd like to be treated and would beat up the as*holes. But that's fairyland. Real life is much more judgemental and cruel, not just to autistic people but to anyone with any sort of difference.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just treat "disabled" people like you would anybody else-----like how YOU want to be treated.

That's the best response I've seen.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 7:41 pm

My brother used to know this teenage boy at school who was fighting cancer, and he attended school between chemo sessions because he really wanted to live a normal life like any other normal teenage boy. He had lost all his hair and a lot of weight. The whole school knew he was fighting cancer and probably every kid knew what an awful disease cancer can be. But so many kids couldn't cope with the fact that he had no hair or eyebrows, and they bullied him severely. They'd call him a freak, kick and push him in the hallways, and exclude him from their groups because he "had the lurgy". And this wasn't just one small group of nasty kids, this was a lot of kids from different classes and different ages. The poor lad had to be taken out of the school because of the bullying. The teachers did their best to stop it and spread awareness about cancer but they still carried on bullying him. So he had to stay home then after he recovered and grew his hair back he went to a different school, even though he only had a year left before he was leaving anyway.

Some Aspies seem to think it's only autistic people that get bullied and that the bullying is justified because autistic people are the "least normal" people in society so that gives them the right to treat us poorly. But it isn't. People (mostly neurotypicals) can bully anyone. The boy with cancer was neurotypical just like them, and you'd have thought cancer would be more tolerated by the herd than autism, being so it's a physical illness, but no, anyone can be bullied for anything. Being bullied isn't just about being autistic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 8:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
But it isn't. People (mostly neurotypicals) can bully anyone. The boy with cancer was neurotypical just like them, and you'd have thought cancer would be more tolerated by the herd than autism, being so it's a physical illness, but no, anyone can be bullied for anything. Being bullied isn't just about being autistic.

Actually autistic people can be bullies. I am regularly bullied on this forum.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 11:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
But it isn't. People (mostly neurotypicals) can bully anyone. The boy with cancer was neurotypical just like them, and you'd have thought cancer would be more tolerated by the herd than autism, being so it's a physical illness, but no, anyone can be bullied for anything. Being bullied isn't just about being autistic.

Actually autistic people can be bullies. I am regularly bullied on this forum.

Anyone can be bullies, but the majority of bullies are indeed neurotypicals.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2022, 12:09 am

My son had his first experience with bullies the other day. :( I guess I'd better start that self-defense training.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2022, 12:16 am

I was surprisingly not bullied as a kid much at all, nothing I really remember, I'm lucky. Although I didn't have many friends I always had one at least and I didn't really care for playing with others that much anyway. And I had my cousins so they were like brothers to me. It all started much more when I was a young adult/adult, people spreading rumors, trying to make me meltdown, calling me names and such, trying to get me to commit unalive. Ugh.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 3:30 am

Joe90 wrote:
Anyone can be bullies, but the majority of bullies are indeed neurotypicals.

Yes and the majority of people in this world are NTs as well. The law of averages.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 3:31 am

Pteranomom wrote:
My son had his first experience with bullies the other day. :( I guess I'd better start that self-defense training.

My daughter has learned to be assertive to NT bullies. That's all you can do is teach your child resilience.
I gave up reporting bullies as teachers are unable to do anything

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 4:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Like this a lot ,the above quote , used to be nice say Hello to everyone. Then repeated violent and devious encounters with NTs up and down the personal and professional world ..
It has changed me. After many years . Now due to these effects Am more distant to everyone . And if I can detect
NT people , am no longer able to give them the benefit of the doubt on any matter. Has taken much and many years
For me to quit giving people open and charitable responses… Am very sorry to say .. but experience with disabled or otherwise . Has to be moderated for me. :(

where ever you go ,there you are