Being Expected to Like ALL Disabled People Bcuz yr Autistic?

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 4:58 am

Joe90 wrote:
Basically, what it means is, we Aspies are at the bottom of the social hierarchy, meaning we more or less deserve to be treated poorly and misunderstood but if we misunderstand or treat another group poorly then we'll never hear the end of it. So to keep everyone happy we have to make sure we accept everybody in the world unless they're bad people.

There's a hidden, subtle social rule that if you accept everybody, it can make you a doormat. So just because you're autistic it doesn't mean you don't have the right to misunderstand or not accept some groups of people. Sometimes you need to close your mind just a little in order to survive in this society. As long as you don't go to the extreme, like bullying someone.

Closing your mind a little to survive in society, so you're not a doormat? That's one of the most bizarre things I've read on here. Do people actually do that?

To the OP: I don't feel that pressure. I'm the same as IsabellaLinton....I judge people by how they treat others.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 5:19 am

Joe90 has to close her mind to survive in her own life because she's surrounded by bigots and dinosaurs and she can't stand up against them.

Anyway people are people to me. Respect where respect is due.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 5:29 am

Quote:
Closing your mind a little to survive in society, so you're not a doormat? That's one of the most bizarre things I've read on here. Do people actually do that?

Yes, that's why a lot of bullies are insecure themselves so they pick on other insecure people to survive (at least that's what I'm always told, in other words I am expected to even understand bullies). Personally I don't think bullying should be tolerated from anyone but when you're autistic the rules are different.

God I hate being on the spectrum for all of these reasons.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 5:56 am

Joe90 wrote:
we Aspies are at the bottom of the social hierarchy, meaning we more or less deserve to be treated poorly and misunderstood but if we misunderstand or treat another group poorly then we'll never hear the end of it.

Sorry you feel that way. Have you thought about joining a book club and making new friends who don't spend all their free time drinking?

zeb_from_Aus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2022, 7:58 am

A few years ago I was listening to a radio show called "the coming out show" on our local GLBTetc radio station, in which a woman was recounting her experiences as a teen and early 20s lesbian discovering she was not alone.

She described going to a well known Melbourne lesbian pub at 18yo (calm down Americans, that's drinking age here) and discovering an entire pub full of women *just like her*! ! Revelation! She built her new gay social life around the people she met there.

But as she grew older, she expanded her group of friends and grew out of going to the pub every Saturday night, until one day maybe ten years later she decided to go back for old times sake. And discovered the place was full of people who had *nothing at all in common with her* except that they were lesbians...

We all know that if you've met one person with autism, you've met *one person* with autism. Similarly, when you're first diagnosed, it may seem places like WP are full of people *just like you*, but they're not, they're mostly people who've got nothing in common with you except that they've all got aspergers/autism. You've got a lot of common experiences (otherwise a forum like this would be pointless), but you're all different.

Other disabled people are just people, mostly with nothing in common with you except that they've got a disability. You're under no more obligation to like them than any other random stranger you might meet.

I drove wheelchair taxis in the 1980s and met lots of people with a fairly diverse range of disabilities. Even in a city the size of Melbourne I was meeting the same passengers from one week to the next and I got to know a lot of regulars. Most of them were great people, but just like any other random group, there were one or two rather unpleasant characters too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 8:02 am

It doesn't matter whether we, as autistics, are treated badly. We still shouldn't treat others badly.

We shouldn't go down to the level of the bullies. We have to be above them.

Murderers shouldn't justify themselves being murderers because "but other people murder people, so why can't I?"

When somebody justifies criminal actions because "other people do it," I don't feel sympathy for that person. I encounter this sort of logic in criminals all the time.

Perhaps, I'm using an extreme example. But my point, really, is that you must follow your own notions, rather than fall prey to the notions of others.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:11 am

I would never misunderstand or make fun of people with disabilities, as usually a lot of people with disabilities have low self-esteem and just want to be accepted by society and treated with respect.

Bullying is not in my nature even when I was a small child. When I was at school there was this girl with one arm, and because I'd never seen a person like that before I was a bit afraid of it when I first discovered it one summer out in the playground. Some kids would bully another kid who has a difference they're afraid of, but intuitively, making fun or bullying her was not what I was intending to do. Instead I became fascinated, and when I got home from school I tucked my left arm in my sleeve and did normal everyday things in my house and backyard with just one arm, to see what life was like for her. I wanted to be her friend but I didn't know her really and I was pleased she had friends to play with. If she had been rejected and on her own I probably would have made an attempt to make friends with her.
If only all kids reacted like that instead of bullying like some do.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 2:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I hate everyone equally regardless of race, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or ability/disability.

This^^

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 3:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I hate everyone equally regardless of race, creed, religion, sexual orientation, or ability/disability.

Ah, oh, so you hate me then? I'm all offended now. *Reports to the mods for hate speech*

Only joking by the way. :lol:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 3:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Ah, oh, so you hate me then? I'm all offended now. *Reports to the mods for hate speech*

Only joking by the way. :lol:
LOL!!

Wreck It Ralph

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 3:51 pm

Speaking of bullying, some people see rejection as bullying, same as when you won't talk or interact with them. Some feel bullied when you call them out on their rude behavior and set boundaries. They then scream ableist when you won't tolerate rudeness.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 5:27 pm

Possible trigger Warning:
Sometimes giving people the benefit of the doubt ,whom appear to be disabled but are not in reality , like detecting some one with psychopathy , and misunderstanding that they are not actually a variably disabled person . Has cost me the life of a loved one . Had no idea this slow appearing person was aligned with a group of criminals .
Would like to think it was a exceptional , one off situation . But had no idea how deep the situation went until
Doing my research . It became crazy making , turned the situation into a special interest . But even then , one must get on with it , and pretend the best normalacy one can. Years later still cannot get dept of justice to observe all the facts . But am a bit less likely to give the benefit of the doubt this days . These were not physically disabled people .
But anyone can turn into a ??? Lousy person .?
Hard not to develop that Equal opportunity hating person . But I do not think that is what life is meant for .

where ever you go ,there you are

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 8:52 pm

I feel safer around people who have disabilities.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 3:53 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Yes I'm really not sure why other people with disabilities are seen as such a threat :roll:
Nobody is asking anybody to be their friends but if you want NTs to respect you as a person living with autism then you need to give respect to people who are worse off.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Yes I'm really not sure why other people with disabilities are seen as such a threat :roll:
Nobody is asking anybody to be their friends but if you want NTs to respect you as a person living with autism then you need to give respect to people who are worse off.

Us and them, NT attitude , I figure , and seems NTs also seem at some level to enforce this from childhood ….?

where ever you go ,there you are

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:35 am

Jakki wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Us and them, NT attitude , I figure , and seems NTs also seem at some level to enforce this from childhood ….?

What do you mean? this is about forum members not wanting to be expected to like people with disabilities