Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 11:42 am

I got diagnosed with ASD level 1 and mild anxiety. I’m not sure how I feel, but I’ve been on Wrong Planet for a year now and have been scrolling for longer. I’ve known, essentially, but now it’s just in writing.

TheOutsider
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Aug 2022, 12:39 pm

I often don't know exactly what to say about a diagnosis announcement. I'm sympathetic towards anyone who receives a late diagnosis, because I know that it can be a very difficult adjustment. However, I suppose it's good to gain a better understanding of how your mind works so that you can make the appropriate adjustments and live the best life possible. Also, I hope you are able to get the kind of support you need, if you need any at all.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 1:38 pm

TheOutsider wrote:
I often don't know exactly what to say about a diagnosis announcement. I'm sympathetic towards anyone who receives a late diagnosis, because I know that it can be a very difficult adjustment. However, I suppose it's good to gain a better understanding of how your mind works so that you can make the appropriate adjustments and live the best life possible. Also, I hope you are able to get the kind of support you need, if you need any at all.

Thanks so much. I don’t quite know how to describe how I’m feeling right now. I am going to look into accommodations for school, and the psychiatrist is going to send me some articles to help me understand myself better.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 2:47 pm

Yay!!

I’ve been waiting to hear this!!

Congrats, Brains!! :geek:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 2:52 pm

Congratulations! Now you know for sure.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 3:12 pm

I hope you can feel that things make a little more sense now.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 4:16 pm

Congratulations!

And remember that the only thing the diagnosis definitely changed was your self-awareness.

DavidJSNSW64
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2022, 5:11 pm

A diagnosis can confirm what you already knew but it helps in that a treating professional can tell you stuff about autism and associated things you did not know. That's my experience anyway.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 9:39 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yay!!

I’ve been waiting to hear this!!

Congrats, Brains!! :geek:

Thank you :D It has been a long road to self discovery and I feel happy to be officially apart of a group filled with like minded individuals.

Brainiac42
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope you can feel that things make a little more sense now.

Thanks! I am entering my path to self discovery. I’m starting to realize why I am the way I am, officially. I’m slowly not masking anymore and embracing my autism. It’s nice.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:27 pm

It may take time to figure out how you feel about it. That is fine. Your autistic brain needs to do what it needs to do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:11 am

Congratulations! what a relief!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2022, 11:26 pm

Welcome to the Club! I got my diagnosis several months ago, and I'm old enough to be your mother. I embrace being Autistic. I can't see it any other way. "I think and see the world differently." I live in TWO worlds: The one in reality and the rich world inside my head. I have incredibly vivid dreams, can hear color, can see music .... can quickly process incoming information, and still can't figure out what my sister-in-laws facial expressions towards me mean. Oh well. Anyways, congrats!