Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 8:34 pm

West Point is displaying a Ku Klux Klan plaque at entrance to Science building, Congressional Naming Commission finds

Quote:
West Point, the United States Military Academy, has a plaque with the name Ku Klux Klan written out and a hooded figure displayed at the entrance to Bartlett Hall, the science center on the military academy's campus, according to a new report from the Congressional Naming Commission.

The Commission, which was established by Congress to provide recommendations to the Department of Defense on renaming Confederate markers on US military installations, released their second of three final reports to Congress on Monday.

The report focused on Confederate markers at both West Point in New York and the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland.

The commission said the plaque "falls outside" of its purview, because the commission is solely tasked with identifying and providing recommendations on new names for Confederate markers at military installations.

The commission urged the Secretary of Defense "to address DoD assets that highlight the K.K.K." and "create a standard disposition requirement for such assets," the report states.

"The marker falls outside the remit of the Commission; however, there are clearly ties in the K.K.K. to the Confederacy," the report states.

The marker that includes the words Ku Klux Klan is a part of a larger piece of artwork, called a triptych, that appears at the entrance of Barrett Hall, the campus's Science building. The triptych "references the history of the United States as told in bronze relief," and has three panels, that are each 11 feet by 5 feet, the Academy's Public Affairs office said in a statement.

The part of the artwork that shows the Ku Klux Klan member is in a "small section" on the second panel titled "One Nation, Under God, Indivisible." The artwork, dedicated in 1965, was "originally dedicated to West Point graduates who served in World War II and Korea," the statement added.

According to the Academy's Public Affairs office, the triptych's late sculptor, Laura Gardin Fraser, "wanted to create art that depicted 'historical incidents or persons' that symbolized the principled events of that time, thereby documenting both tragedy and triumph in our nation's history."

"West Point does not accept, condone, or promote racism, sexism, or any other biases. The Academy continues to graduate its most diverse classes ever with respect to ethnicity, gender, experience, and background," the Public Affairs office said in the statement.

The US Military Academy's Public Affairs office acknowledged they had received the naming commission's report and said they are "reviewing the recommendations," in an earlier statement Wednesday.

"We are reviewing the recommendations and will collaborate with the Department of the Army to implement changes, once approved," the statement said. "West Point's mission is to develop leaders of character who internalize Army Values, the ideals of Duty, Honor, Country, and the Army Ethic. As a values-based institution, we are fully committed to creating a climate where everyone is treated with dignity and respect."

Outside of the KKK plaque, the commission identified 12 assets with Confederate name associations that should be renamed at West Point and three assets at the US Naval Academy.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 9:00 pm

Here's the entire display:

Notice the title: History of the United States of America

I'm confused here, isn't the progressive position in favor of depicting US history in a warts and all manner, which would include some of our darker moments, such as the Klan? In fact, I would say they usually over index on those darker moments.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 7:54 am

I don't feel a Klansman should be a part of a tribute to veterans----unless something negative is being done to him.

The Klan doesn't really like me all that much.......and I don't like them all that much, either.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 1:09 pm

All the old groups are popping back up again. First the N---- and now the KKK.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 1:29 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Here's the entire display:

Notice the title: History of the United States of America

I'm confused here, isn't the progressive position in favor of depicting US history in a warts and all manner, which would include some of our darker moments, such as the Klan? In fact, I would say they usually over index on those darker moments.

To make any reasonably intelligent judgment about this matter, one would need to see exactly how the "KKK" thing fits into the context of the overall work of art.

Thanks for posting the picture, but it's not big enough for me to view the artwork in sufficient detail to make any sense of it.