Biden - MAGA Republicans are existential threat to democracy

Page 1 of 19 [ 297 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 9:56 pm

Biden attacks Trump, MAGA Republicans as a threat to democracy in blistering speec

Quote:
President Joe Biden accused former President Donald Trump and his supporters of promoting an extreme ideology that threatens democracy in rare prime-time remarks Thursday as he stepped up attacks on conservatives ahead of the midterm elections.

“Too much of what’s happening in our country today is not normal. Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans represent extremism that threatens the very foundations of our republic,” Biden said in the speech from the Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia.

He accused so-called “MAGA Republicans,” a reference to Trump's "Make America Great Again" slogan, of refusing to recognize free and fair elections, increasingly talking about violence in response to actions they don’t like, and of being determined to thwart "the will of the people."

"MAGA Republicans have made their choice. They embrace anger. They thrive on chaos. They live not in the light of truth but in the shadow of lies," Biden said.

Ahead of the remarks, a senior administration official insisted that it was “not a speech about a particular politician, or even about a particular political party." Biden said he didn't believe the ideology he was referring to represented that of most Republicans, although it has been embraced by a number of elected Republican officials.

“Not every Republican embraces their extreme ideology. I know because I’ve been able to work with these mainstream Republicans,” Biden said. “But there’s no question that the Republican Party today is dominated, driven and intimidated by Donald Trump and the MAGA Republicans, and that is a threat to this country.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:07 pm

MAGA Republicans refusing to recognize free and fair elections, increasingly talking about violence in response to actions they don’t like, of being determined to thwart the will of the people, of choosing to embrace anger, thriving on chaos, and living not in the light of truth but in the shadow of lies . . .

Well, at least he got that much right.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:14 pm

He's been working up to this for quite a while:

https://www.mediaite.com/opinion/jen-ps ... ps-for-it/

Quote:
During her last week as press secretary, Jen Psaki sold the legend that Joe Biden invented the term “ultra-MAGA” because he wanted to tack “a little extra pop” onto his burns. But new reporting suggests it’s branding concocted by committee over a period of months. Or just plain borrowed.

Like “Big Lie” or “Don’t Say Gay” over the last year or two, the phrase “ultra-MAGA” – along with descriptors like “extreme MAGA” and more – went directly from a Democrats lips to the media’s ears and pens. It became ubiquitous seemingly overnight following President Biden uttering it out loud for the first time on May 4th.

“Let me tell you about this ultra-MAGA agenda. It’s extreme — as most MAGA things are,” said Biden in a fired-up speech about the leaked draft opinion from the Supreme Court. “This MAGA crowd is really the most extreme political organization that’s existed in American history — in recent American history.”

Biden repeated elements of those remarks several times that day in the days after, and messaging from the Democrats and the White House, in general, are embracing the use of MAGA in attacks on Republicans. And MAGA was immediately on board. Donald Trump and Steve Bannon quickly adopted and embraced it as the right on social media alternated between calling it a new “Deplorables” moment and praising it as a perfect sobriquet.

Jen Psaki has been asked about it more than once this past week or so. She was pressed by several reporters on Tuesday of this week after the term had begun to pop up all over, and attributed its provenance to the President’s creativity.

ABC News White House correspondent Mary Bruce asked, “Who came up with this phrase ‘Ultra-MAGA’? Why the need to kick it up a notch? MAGA wasn’t enough? I mean, why now use this phrase?”

“I will tell you, it is — it is the President’s phrase, said Psaki, “And the President made those comments himself just last week, as you know.”

She also said that “to him, adding a little ‘ultra’ to it, give it a little extra pop.”

Democrats like it. MAGA likes it. The media like it. But was it really an off-the-cuff effort? Not so much, judging by new reporting from Ashley Parker and Michael Scherer at the Washington Post.

They write:

Biden’s attempt to appropriate the “MAGA” brand as a political attack was hardly accidental. It arose from a six-month research project to find the best way to target Republicans, helmed by Biden adviser Anita Dunn and by the Center for American Progress Action Fund, a liberal group.

The polling and focus group research by Hart Research and the Global Strategy Group found that “MAGA” was already viewed negatively by voters — more negatively than other phrases like “Trump Republicans.”

Hardly an organic utterance for added oomph. It seems more to be calculated effort ahead of the midterms, arrived at through months of research-mph.

The Washington Post further reports that it has been tied to Sen. Rick Scott:

Biden has repeatedly tied the term to Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, who in February released a controversial 11-point policy plan. Its proposals include taxing many Americans who currently pay no taxes, as well as “sunsetting” all federal laws every five years, apparently including those authorizing Medicare and Social Security.

Although Scott’s plan been disavowed by some Republican leaders, Biden regularly describes it as the “MAGA agenda” of the “MAGA Republicans.” Since the Republican leadership has not offered any other plan, the White House argues, the public platform of its Senate campaign chief is fair game.

“I call it the ‘ultra-MAGA’ plan — Make America Great Again plan,” Biden said Wednesday, speaking to electrical workers in Chicago.

An interesting note. Parker and Scherer later refer to “Biden’s decision to dub Republicans as ‘ultra MAGA'” in the article. That decision may have been the result of Anita Dunn’s six-month research project. But it could have another influence, too.

In Biden’s May 4th speech, his first mention wasn’t as quip, it was more an attribution. Most articles quote the remark beginning, like it is typed above, with the words “let me tell you about this ultra-MAGA agenda.”

But he actually said this: “Senator Rick Scott of Florida, a United States senator who is leading the Republican National Senatorial Campaign Committee, released what he calls the ‘Ultra-MAGA Agenda.’ It’s a MAGA agenda all right. Let me tell you about this Ultra-MAGA Agenda. It’s extreme, as most MAGA things are.”

He’s attributing it to Rick Scott. And he’s not the first person to use it in that way. New York Magazine’s Intelligencer blog headlined an article on Scott’s agenda with the term a month ago.

There’s probably something to all of the above takes. Biden may think the ultra prefix “pops.” The use of MAGA in talking points and rhetoric as a means of categorizing and attacking opponents is almost certainly the product of a concerted, market-tested branding effort, and the term is exactly the sort of product such efforts usually come up with. You know, not materially different from any rando tweeting in anger.

And yes, it was used elsewhere before Joe Biden put it in a speech where he attributed it to Rick Scott. That’s politics.

But what it isn’t is something Biden invented to add oomph. That version, put out by Jen Psaki, is what you might call “ultra-wrong.”

Or, you know, that other popular phrase that gets used so much these days: “Mostly False.”

The response to it then was pretty funny:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2022, 10:18 pm

Biden seems to keep forgetting that he wasn't really elected because people wanted him, they just wanted to get rid of the other guy, and I suspect this smack talking isn't going to make any more people like him. The whole "let's write off half the country as irredeemable" thing didn't work out so well for Hilary, and even Obama got stung by his bitter clingers comments.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 12:51 am

Jill should have given him a throat lozenge before he started.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 4:04 am

You'd think the 75 million would have still voted for him if he turned into a bat at midnite and sucked the blood teenage girls

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 4:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
You'd think the 75 million would have still voted for him if he turned into a bat at midnite and sucked the blood teenage girls

^^^ This

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 4:36 am

cyberdad wrote:

That would be awesome.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 4:40 am

74 million people did vote for the MAGA candidate.

I doubt he would get this much should he run in 2024.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:16 am

As Biden rhetoric starts to ramp up.. am afraid he has gone too far the other way. Maybe his handlers think that is what the people wish to hear , but they are not I. Touch with all the people.
It seems these speeches are made with intent to segregate demos from Rep. Which is further sad ,and those that are in gov. In reality, behaves and has behaved like this for a very long time.
People whom suffer are the common humans .

where ever you go ,there you are

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
74 million people did vote for the MAGA candidate.

I doubt he would get this much should he run in 2024.

4 years of Trump
2016 - 63 million
2020 - 75 million

That looks a mind virus

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:47 am

There was no raid on Mar-A-Lago in either 2016 or 2020, nor the 1/6/21 Insurrection.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 02 Sep 2022, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 5:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There was no raid on Mar-A-Lago in either 2016 or 2020, not the 1/6/21 Insurrection.

Perhaps the intel got out he was stashing state secrets in his bedroom in 2022?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 6:15 am

People should realize that liking Trump is not a prerequisite for being a conservative or a Republican.

Trump is just some schmuck.

How he attained so much power…is owing to his criminal abilities, rather than any competence as a politician.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 8:07 am

/\ He has no experience as a politician anymore than I do. He’s not wired as one so his methods may come off as uncouth.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 10:11 am

Raptor wrote:
/\ He has no experience as a politician anymore than I do. He’s not wired as one so his methods may come off as uncouth.

He is not a politician idea is dated, he has 7 years experience.

His political skills are a mixed bag, but not any old mixed bag it is either extreme incompetence or genius. He identified a loyal base that all the experts missed. Seven years into this he still has opponents wondering how he does it. He has a tremendous skill of manipulating opponents emotions so they make the same mistake over and over and again. Any other politician under such continuous multifaceted attempts to take him down would have been taken down a loooong time ago.

While getting out from seemingly endless “this is it” crises is genius, these “this is it” situations largely of his own doing. He keeps on handing opponents powerful weapons that he finds ways of getting out of.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman