Are disabled people below the poverty line many countries?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2022, 9:13 pm

I feel the government of Canada doesn't care about people with disabilities enough. Disabled people aren't even at the poverty line in Canada and I don't know a lot about other countries. But living in Canada the government doesn't even care that there are people needing to pay rent.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2022, 10:55 pm

Probably most or close enough.

I'm below that line where I live. I have to be very frugal if I want to save money for emergencies. I'd qualify for a carer's allowance, but that's too much hassle to go through with.

I don't feel like I'm poverty-stricken, but apparently I am. :|

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2022, 12:05 am

Yes, of course. In most countries, disabled people get little to no help at all from anyone outside their own families.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2022, 1:37 am

Not only are they, there are systems in place that force disabled people to be and to stay forever below the poverty line. You cant own things or save money, even your spouse can't have money to qualify for aid and so on. Many people actually have to get divorced and hand over their spouse ownership of any assets just to keep them, which of course in turn leaves those disabled people completely open to spousal abuse, extortion or stealing of their funds and assets.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 2:37 am

Trachea wrote:
Not only are they, there are systems in place that force disabled people to be and to stay forever below the poverty line. You cant own things or save money, even your spouse can't have money to qualify for aid and so on. Many people actually have to get divorced and hand over their spouse ownership of any assets just to keep them, which of course in turn leaves those disabled people completely open to spousal abuse, extortion or stealing of their funds and assets.

Ya if you have some asset your disqualify. My brother is on disability (he's not autistic). If he gets some extra income he spends it quickly. No need to plan for retirement if you're gonna stay poor forever anyway.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2022, 2:55 am

y-pod wrote:
Trachea wrote:

Ya if you have some asset your disqualify. My brother is on disability (he's not autistic). If he gets some extra income he spends it quickly. No need to plan for retirement if you're gonna stay poor forever anyway.

Yep it's horrible treatment of people. And everybody knows that housing security and food security are huge stressors and stress causes almost every illness in the body to worsen because the body can't then heal as well when it is stressed, the thing anyone sick needs is good balance of positive activity and rest.