Is anyone else nostalgic for cable and satellite TV?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2022, 7:58 pm

For those that had cable and satellite TV before the 2010s, do you miss it or get nostalgic about it? I don't mean cable or sat in it's current state, but how it was from the 70s until as late as the 2000s. I also notice that a much smaller variety of shows are circulated on linear TV compared to the past.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:28 am

I miss it from the '80s and '90s. I really enjoyed shows like Commander USA's Groovy Movies and Night Flight, both on the USA channel.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 12:34 pm

I watched it a bit too much.
There were 2-3 channels that showed films that had been in the cinema a year before. I think USA was one.
Conan O'Brien and the impractical jokers were good for a few laughs,as was housewives of Atlanta if you want to see women arguing :)

I don't really get nostalgic over it cos I took a break from TV for about four years, due to it being an activity that is too passive.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:17 am

Nostalgic for it? I still have cable!

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:00 pm

By the time I was out of high school, streaming and social media were already beginning to become more popular. If things ever had to go back to the way they were before the internet, I don't know if to think I'll really miss it except for a few things it brought. A part of me is an old soul.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Cable is still around, but the content isn't what it used to be, not to mention it's financial decline.

The content of modern cable and sat itself is only a small number of original and rerun shows in broadcast circulation across all the channels on that platform and even to the point of redundancy. I remember the cartoon "Inspector Gadget" being reran on the TV channel Nickelodeon in the late 90s, today unless if it was really popular and famous that everyone remembers like The Andy Griffith Show or Spongebob Squarepants good luck finding it being shown on linear TV anywhere except if the channel or occasion is very obscure.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 8:43 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Cable is still around, but the content isn't what it used to be, not to mention it's financial decline.

The content of modern cable and sat itself is only a small number of original and rerun shows in broadcast circulation across all the channels on that platform and even to the point of redundancy. I remember the cartoon "Inspector Gadget" being reran on the TV channel Nickelodeon in the late 90s, today unless if it was really popular and famous that everyone remembers like The Andy Griffith Show or Spongebob Squarepants good luck finding it being shown on linear TV anywhere except if the channel or occasion is very obscure.

I still see plenty of great shows on cable, such as Godfather Of Harlem, Obi-Wan Kenobi, House Of Dragons, Domina, Snowfall, West World, The Book Of Boba Fett, The Mandalorian, and a ton of other stuff more geared for adults.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 11:24 am

I grew up in a time before even VCR’s and VHS tapes.

8-Track tapes were the big thing.

Having a remote control was a pretty big deal in the 70s.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:29 am

I did not miss it, streaming was nice as a way to avoid adverts for a while, but now they have infiltrated streaming too, but at least the commercials don't go on as long as they do with satellite or cable.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:51 am

I still have cable TV. In fact about seven years ago I reverted to broadcast TV for a year.

Well...I HAD cable. It seems to have gone out last night.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 5:54 am

Cable is still pretty common, actually.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 9:10 am

I can get nostalgic for the old days of British TV. When I grew up in the 80s we had four channels and that was it. I was dimly aware, towards the end of the decade, that some of my wealthier peers had satellite TV with loads of US channels but most of us just had the four. I think there was something valuable in the shared experience - talking to people about what you'd both seen the night before - and the fact you had to plan to be in front of the TV at a certain time if you wanted to catch your favourite show. It's gone now, my kid watches things her friends have never heard of and vice versa.

It also blows my mind when I think of shows I watched as a kid - like Postman Pat which seemed to be shown perpetually, there were only 13 episodes in existence. That's nuts. When I think of how many Peppa Pig episodes there must be.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 2:40 pm

I'm nostalgic about old TV shows from the 60s. There's one show in particular that's my favourite. I also like some shows from the 50s and some shows from the 70s.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2023, 1:53 pm

I'm nostalgic over a lot of shows from the 90s and 2000s as a kid who grew up watching reruns of those shows on TeenNick, Boomerang, and on Disney Channel (if I woke up early enough), plus sometimes I would even watch older shows on YouTube (mainly for the shows that didn't have any reruns on TV by that point).

Also, I personally still have cable. My family and I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 8:34 pm

Nope. I haven't sat in front of the TV (except at other people's houses) since high school.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 9:08 pm

I miss having scrambled channels ;)

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.