Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 12:45 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Reporting a post will tell you what is acceptable to moderators/admin. I think it's every one's business if you have reported 'transphobic' posts, and they were not dealt with.

I feel like my approach is better because what is or isn’t acceptable is not super clear. I was hoping that a thread would help clear things up for people besides myself who might have the same question.

If I felt like a report was not sufficiently dealt with, I would probably confer with another mod rather than dredge up drama against mods and other members.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 12:46 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
In my experience, people don’t just avoid using the pronouns; they also argue why they think they shouldn’t be used and state rationales that seem…invalidating.

You mean, they state the reasoning behind their positions? The horror.

No, I mean that they make their transphobia abundantly clear.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 12:51 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
Reporting a post will tell you what is acceptable to moderators/admin. I think it's every one's business if you have reported 'transphobic' posts, and they were not dealt with.

I feel like my approach is better because what is or isn’t acceptable is not super clear. I was hoping that a thread would help clear things up for people besides myself who might have the same question.

If I felt like a report was not sufficiently dealt with, I would probably confer with another mod rather than dredge up drama against mods and other members.

Fair point.

Although you did say in your OP

Quote:
it’s more acceptable to espouse transphobic views

How can you claim them acceptable if you have not reported them. As already been stated by magz

Quote:
moderators aren't omniscient nor omnipresent. We rely on members' help.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 12:55 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:

Fair point.

Quote:

How can you claim them acceptable if you have not reported them. As already been stated by magz

Quote:

In my OP, I said that it SEEMED like that based on the number of questionable posts I’ve seen recently. I didn’t say that it was definitely that way.

This is a “tricky” topic, and there are some grey areas which complicates things.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 12:56 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

Do you have any examples? I've followed most of the PPR threads in the last few weeks pretty closely, and I don't recall seeing anything I'd consider to be transphobic.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 1:00 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

Do you have any examples? I've followed most of the PPR threads in the last few weeks pretty closely, and I don't recall seeing anything I'd consider to be transphobic.

I am not calling out specific members by citing their posts.

My question was primarily directed at the mods. I wanted to know, according to THEM, what is or isn’t homophobic or transphobic language.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 1:06 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:

Fair point.

Quote:

Quote:

In my OP, I said that it SEEMED like that based on the number of questionable posts I’ve seen recently. I didn’t say that it was definitely that way.

This is a “tricky” topic, and there are some grey areas which complicates things.

So you are saying that these 'questionable posts' are the problem, but you haven't reported them or know that these posts have been seen by a moderator/admin. I see why it is tricky for you.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 1:14 pm

I have stated multiple times now that I was just curious where the line was drawn and what is or isn’t considered acceptable. It is easier for people to avoid breaking the rules and for people to know when to make reports if they know what is or isn’t appropriate.

It’s not super clear:

magz wrote:
There's a fine line between not understanding someone's experience and invalidating someone's experience.
Nothing wrong with not understanding, everything wrong with invalidating.

Navigating this fine line can be tricky and I do invite feedback on it.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 1:24 pm

I will stop posting now, so you can address magz with your feedback on this matter, as their post suggest they are willing to learn how to navigate this fine line. I look forward to your input.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 1:29 pm

This really feels like an attempt to anathematize a whole set of positions in a very live debate, where as the fair reading of the rules is more like "don't throw around slurs and insults". "Invalidating" is a real slippery word, as any disputing of another person's experience could technically be called "invalidating", the example that immediately comes to mind is when I point out that my home town of Seattle feels lawless, inevitably someone pops up with crime stats showing that crime is down and claims I'm wrong; are they "invalidating" my lived experience by claiming my perception might be off? If not, why not?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm

"Invalidating" means "someone who tells us about their first hand experiences is wrong about them" kind of messages.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
The rules state that gender is a protected group.

As such, invalidation when it comes to gender identify is not acceptable.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Sep 2022, 1:34 pm

! magz wrote:
Locked on request.

If you want to continue a discussion on what constitutes "invalidating", start a separate thread.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>