Teacher gets $95,000 settlement for refusing to use pronouns

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Teachers are expected to remember their students names as well as IEP/504 information, etc. They are expected to remember pronouns, too. Perhaps if one struggles an inordinate amount with this stuff, they might want to consider another profession.

I thought they constantly check like I would. Check your student's IEP always.

I do look at my students information regularly, but teachers don’t have the time to check it constantly, like before every class. They need to be able to remember important details that will pertain to their particular classroom.

In my experience, teachers remember pronouns. They are expected to remember names and pronouns.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:49 am

magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
There was once a man I talked to at a munch few years back, I can't even remember his name. I can't remember other people's names either other than couple of them.

I even forget usernames online all the time. There are so many of them. Only a few will stand out where I never forget their name.
When I met my now-husband, I remembered the town he was from and what he studied and where and million other things about him - but it took me 4 months to remember his name.
Yep, some of us just have this kind of memory.
I'm not a school teacher and students at Uni didn't expect me to remember their names :D

My native language has completely different construction of grammatical gender, so I don't encounter the pronoun problem IRL. It's different in Polish. Pronouns are not really problematic (they have to match the grammar of the sentence, not the person's identity), but gendered first person verbs don't exist in neutral form so far. I wonder if something "sticks" the way "they" ultimately seems to "stick" in English.

Funny thing is I remember what this man said about himself and his wife and family. The year they met, their kinky marriage, they have Ski passes, they both work in engineering, his wife is Asian, they have two sons two years apart.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:52 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Teachers are expected to remember their students names as well as IEP/504 information, etc. They are expected to remember pronouns, too. Perhaps if one struggles an inordinate amount with this stuff, they might want to consider another profession.

I thought they constantly check like I would. Check your student's IEP always.

I do look at my students information regularly, but teachers don’t have the time to check it constantly, like before every class. They need to be able to remember important details that will pertain to their particular classroom.

In my experience, teachers remember pronouns. They are expected to remember names and pronouns.

I had a student teacher that would constantly lose our school work and mark it as missing. I suspect now she had ADHD. Plus she over explained things so kids would get bored and act up in class. She couldn't keep her audience. I don't think she should have been a teacher if she couldn't be organized with our assignments we turned in and couldn't keep her students attention.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 11:03 am

In my experience, they don’t focus on practical skills enough in education classes.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 11:18 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
In my experience, they don’t focus on practical skills enough in education classes.

I remember in college the best math professor (I had him through multivariate calculus, wish he taught diff eq) I had was a retired naval engineer. His lessons were most useful because he would relate concepts to their real world applications, which leads to a better understanding and a visualization.

Career academia are too departed from the real world to teach students useful skills. I had one tell me they don't care about the industry because academics is all they do there.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 11:21 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I remember in college the best math professor I had was a retired naval engineer. His lessons were most useful because he would relate concepts to their real world applications, which leads to a better understanding and a visualization.

Career academia are too departed from the real world to teach students useful skills. I had one tell me they don't care about the industry because academics is all they do there.

I greatly enjoyed the abstract discussions of my philosophy classes, but I think for specific professions, like education, learning practical skills is vital.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 12:23 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
If I were the teacher I would make it a point to only use the name and "you".

It really isn’t a massive issue. As a teacher, I can confidently say that it would be uncommon to have more than a couple students who use differing pronouns. Remembering them is not a problem. If teachers are against accommodating their students in this way, it’s time to find another job.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Yep. Much the same as for healthcare professionals that refuse to treat lgbt people. (or anyone.)

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:27 pm

Meanwhile in Ireland...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... eland.html

A teacher who refused to use gender-neutral pronouns for a transgender student has been sent to Mountjoy prison for contempt of court.

Enoch Burke was arrested yesterday morning for breaching a court order not to teach at his Westmeath school, or be physically present there.

After Judge Michael Quinn made his ruling, Mr Burke said: 'It is insanity that I will be led from this courtroom to a place of incarceration, but I will not give up my Christian beliefs.'

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 2:35 pm

Mikah wrote:
Meanwhile in Ireland...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... eland.html

A teacher who refused to use gender-neutral pronouns for a transgender student has been sent to Mountjoy prison for contempt of court.

Enoch Burke was arrested yesterday morning for breaching a court order not to teach at his Westmeath school, or be physically present there.

After Judge Michael Quinn made his ruling, Mr Burke said: 'It is insanity that I will be led from this courtroom to a place of incarceration, but I will not give up my Christian beliefs.'

Good - he broke a court order not to be there. Go to jail for it.

I've still yet to see anyone able to quote anything from the bible advocating for discrimination & rudeness towards trans people. Very sure Jesus preached being good to everyone. All of this using religion as an excuse for bigotry is blasphemous nonsense.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 3:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Good - he broke a court order not to be there. Go to jail for it.

Shame, such a lovely family https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_family_(Castlebar)

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.