Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:27 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Teacher only won because religion is a protected class but what if Kansas has laws that protected transgender students? This would be interesting to hear such case. What to do when both laws clash against each other.

What religion is anti-trans? :?

Did you read the article?

Just skimmed it. Sounds like BS to me. I've read the bible and don't recall there being a chapter about binary genders. I do recall reading, hearing, and being taught, that Jesus preached being loving and respectful to all people - not just the ones you don't want to hate. Sounds like this woman needs to go back to Sunday school.

If you had studied the Bible adequately you would know what is said about that. in a nutshell, God created male and female and the two marry and bear children. And that there should be no variation of that design.

Umm, God pops all kinds of variations of humans out of vaginas from male/female procreation. Trans people, intersex people etc.

Further, are you suggesting that God makes mistakes and You get to decide what they are? Sounds blasphemous.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 10:37 pm

I remember there was a filler on my work crew. Someone who worked there now and then to fill an open slot. Totally male looking. Deep male voice. Male mannerisms. But the name on the schedule was "Zoe". And the first time I worked with this person they might have been wearing a bit of eyeliner. Which doesn't really establish gender these days. And one day I referred to Zoe as "he" when talking about something involving the crewmembers present. And I immediately thought "oh crap, I hope I'm not going to get into trouble for referring to Zoe as "he".

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:03 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
If you had studied the Bible adequately you would know what is said about that. in a nutshell, God created male and female and the two marry and bear children. And that there should be no variation of that design.

Umm, God pops all kinds of variations of humans out of vaginas from male/female procreation. Trans people, intersex people etc.

Further, are you suggesting that God makes mistakes and You get to decide what they are? Sounds blasphemous.

Once again, the Bible makes it clear that what God designed is subject to being warped and compromised though sin entering the world. The Bible makes it clear how he designed humans and how he intended for them to operate, and which human traits go against that design. For instance, God didn't design people to lie, because he despises lying. Yet virtually everyone lies. Children even before they're able to talk lie. If you ask a toddler if he scribbled all over a wall with a crayon, and he shakes his head no, he is lying. That's an inherent trait that is not part of God's design.

Whether or not you believe in it or agree with it, when discussing the Bible, you have to go by what it says.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:34 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Once again, the Bible makes it clear that what God designed is subject to being warped and compromised though sin entering the world. The Bible makes it clear how he designed humans and how he intended for them to operate, and which human traits go against that design. For instance, God didn't design people to lie, because he despises lying. Yet virtually everyone lies. Children even before they're able to talk lie. If you ask a toddler if he scribbled all over a wall with a crayon, and he shakes his head no, he is lying. That's an inherent trait that is not part of God's design.

Whether or not you believe in it or agree with it, when discussing the Bible, you have to go by what it says.

:lol: Not if I think it’s a clever work of fiction crafted to manipulate and control people while book club leaders steal 10% of their income I don’t have to believe it or go by it at all. :lol:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:48 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Yawn, 45,000 PLUS Global Denominations and
Every Human Who Interprets The Metaphors
As Pastors and Priests Alike And Different
Take The Bible And Christianity

As Interpretations of Christianity
And The Bible Vastly Different Than Each Other.

i Suppose 'Your Denomination' And 'You,' HAha, Has the One True

Interpretation of a New Testament Written By Roman Greek Writing Ghost Authors
Assigned Pen Names Centuries Later, Along With Copy Scribes Who Made Honest
And Intentional Mistakes Over Centuries Before it Was Bound and Put into Print
All the Way First into the 1400's and the 1300's for Verses of Mix and Match
Scripts Numbered as Such too; The Old Bible is A Chaotic Mess of Contradictions;

Go Ahead and
Read Psalms
Where it Reads
Joyful Shall One Be who
Bashes the Head of a Child With A Stone
Who Is An Opposing Tribal Member's Child DEAD.

It's An Overall Frigging Sick Book Dude Not Worthy of Salt in a Wound.

There Are Some Gems THere Yet Even For A Monkey Typing Long Enough
'He' Might Type a Gem

or Two too,

hehe...

It's Basically
'Trash' and A Book
That Has Inspired
Much Murder in the World;

As 'Alan Watts' Says And Even 'JeSuS'
if He Could Be Real And Come Back
And Clean 'the Trash Up' Again; More Than Likely

YeS He'd Return Like He Came Before And Sing at
Best the Traditions of the Past Shall Be Burnt At 'Easter'...

And Transform The Entire Burnt Book Sacrifice (JeSuS) into
One Tradition of

Love for All

Yet Wait!
HE ALready

God Damn It

Did That and 'Ignorant Goats'
Are Still Burning in HeLL ON EartH For Real

According to the DEEPER Messages and the DEEPER Stories For
Anyone Who Has the Attention Span And Capacity to Read THE ENTIRE BOOK.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:54 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

:lol: Not if I think it’s a clever work of fiction crafted to manipulate and control people while book club leaders steal 10% of their income I don’t have to believe it or go by it at all. :lol:

Even when discussing fiction like Lord of the Rings, you have stay within the context of what's written.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2022, 11:57 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
It’s the rarer non-binary folks that sometimes go by they/them - which can be confusing at times when you’re not used to saying they/them out loud.

Yeah, I find more than anything that it's just awkward, particularly when you have more than one in the conversation, or if you're talking about someone who isn't present at the time. I briefly dated a non-binary person who had a non-binary roommate/partner with the same first name, that got really confusing really quickly, almost like a "who's on first?" routine when one of them would talk about the other.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 12:12 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Even when discussing fiction like Lord of the Rings, you have stay within the context of what's written.

Dude, i've Had Master's
Levels Courses In the
Sociology of Literature;

NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO
STAY IN ANY PARTICULAR
CONTEXT WHEN INTERPRETING METAPHOR
AS EVERYONE SEES THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY;

AT LEAST THAT'S WHAT THEY TEACH AT UNIVERSITY.

AND EVEN IN FRIGGING SUNDAY SCHOOLS IN SOME
DENOMINATIONS AS THEY SAY LET THE HOLY SPIRIT WITHIN

INTERPRET
THE VERSES
FOR YOU; Yes, IN 'Secular
Terms' Our Deeper Subconscious
And Right Hemisphere Big Picture
Metaphor Processing Minds for Folks
With the Capacity for Imagination and Creativity

That Sadly Some Humans Are Sadly Lacking In For Real.

There Are Trans And Gay Folks Who Live Happily Ever After
Now in Some Christian Denominations Who See A World of Love For All

And Aren't So Fixated on Which Body Parts Come into Contact Or Being As
'The Spirit of Love' FOR ALL is More Important Than THAT in Materially
Reducing Humans to Body Parts;

Yawn, They Heard A Message
Of Love For All And Aren't
Still Wearing 'Ignorant Diapers
of Exclusion' Just 'Sitting In It' AS Such.

Let me Spell it Out For 'You': Love, Compassion,
And Cognitive Empathy for All; Learn to Walk in the
Shoes of Your Brother And or Sister; Jesus F in Christ

Even Elvis
Understands THaT hehe...

Walk A Mile NoW in Our Loving
Shoes, Etcetera... Etcetera...

And Wake the F Up to Love
Jesus F in Christ ThiS Aint

Rocket Science!

Get Woke! HAheR..;)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 12:13 am

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
It’s the rarer non-binary folks that sometimes go by they/them - which can be confusing at times when you’re not used to saying they/them out loud.

Yeah, I find more than anything that it's just awkward, particularly when you have more than one in the conversation, or if you're talking about someone who isn't present at the time. I briefly dated a non-binary person who had a non-binary roommate/partner with the same first name, that got really confusing really quickly, almost like a "who's on first?" routine when one of them would talk about the other.

I only got to the end of the bolded bit or so before "Who's on first?" came to mind. :lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:37 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

This conversation isn’t about the Bible. It’s about a teacher not using the correct pronouns. If a person was basing their views about this situation on what the Lord of the Rings does or doesn’t say, it would make perfect sense to question the validity and value of utilizing such a source. There’s no reason why one should stay within the context of what is written unless this were solely a contextual conversation about LofR.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:44 am

If I were the teacher I would make it a point to only use the name and "you".

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:49 am

r00tb33r wrote:
If I were the teacher I would make it a point to only use the name and "you".

It really isn’t a massive issue. As a teacher, I can confidently say that it would be uncommon to have more than a couple students who use differing pronouns. Remembering them is not a problem. If teachers are against accommodating their students in this way, it’s time to find another job.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2022, 5:51 am

Historically, singular they was used when talking about a person of unknown gender.
I believe it should be designated a "safe" pronoun to use when in doubt.

I'm not talking about teachers here, teachers are expected to memorize dozens of names and pronouns can be considered part of one's name. I'm rather thinking about broader context of human interactions.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:53 am

magz wrote:
Historically, singular they was used when talking about a person of unknown gender.

The name is always a safe bet.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2022, 5:54 am

r00tb33r wrote:
magz wrote:

The name is always a safe bet.

If you know it, yes.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 6:00 am

Quote:
Teacher Gets $95,000 Settlement For Refusing To Use Pronouns

Probably literally the only time ever a teacher got paid well.

I remember feeling terrible for our teacher when he would buy tools for our club with his credit card, then wait forever to be reimbursed by the school, if ever.
I was poor-ish myself back then.