Is it an autism thing to not like traveling?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

Most people I know say traveling and seeing new things is one of their favorite things to do, but I personally never saw the appeal. Is this an autism thing, or just a me thing? Curious to hear what everyone has to say

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:00 pm

Traveling involves routine changes, preparing to go to new places, lots of planning that sometimes might not work out, etc. I enjoy traveling and experiencing new places, but it is really stressful and I dislike the stress it gives me

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:03 pm

Don't know. I'm rather a stick-at-home type but I like to get away from time to time. I don't like travelling by plane because it can get difficult when there are connecting flights etc., but I don't suppose many people enjoy such complications. As for being in a different place, I don't mind as long as the new environment is fairly comfortable.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:15 pm

I am going traveling soon with my boyfriend and I am excited but stressed at the same time because of all the organising.

A few things that are stressing me out:

- How will I know when my suitcase is over the weight limit? What happens if it is?
- How do I work out and plan which underwear to take, and work it out that I will be taking my favourite pairs of underwear?
- What if we catch covid or any other virus before we go or while we're there? What if I have sickness or diarrhea while traveling?
- Although we'll be traveling and exploring most of the time, I still need to take some of my favourite things I like to do, such as my writing pads. Will this take up much weight in my bag?
- What if I break a rule at the airport? The rules at airports are extremely precise and strict, and the staff can be bossy and stern. I can't focus or remember all the rules at once. What if they think I'm a terrorist?
- What if the plane crashes? There hasn't been any major plane crashes lately and they have to happen occasionally so this one we're boarding might be the unlucky plane that will go down. Catastrophic thinking here, but these thoughts do often make their way into my head.

Due to ADHD I find planning ahead difficult, even if I write it down. In fact I wouldn't know where to begin if I write it down.

But I do NEED a vacation, after all that I've been through. I'm insanely bored of my usual routine, so this will be a nice break in the monotony of life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 5:52 pm

Depends on where you're going.

If you're going to a place where they tell you not to drink the water, don't drink the water.

It's really simple, actually, at airports----though it's aggravating at times.

If you're checking in bags, you usually have to check them in at the counter where you would receive your boarding pass. Make sure you don't lose that boarding pass!

Then you get on the security line. You will have to show your passport at those lines, plus your boarding pass. Make sure you take off your shoes, your belt, anything metallic, and your suitcase, onto a conveyer belt/metal detector and usually into a plastic case-type thing. Then you go through another metal detector. If you are randomly chosen for inspection (yes, it's totally random; they don't judge you), then you'll have to spread your arms a certain way, and the officer will roll a metal thingee around your body that detects metal.

Make sure you don't take any cream or any petroleum jelly, or whatever that weighs over 100 grams (about 3 ounces); otherwise, they will confiscate it. Don't try to slip these through, because they always find it.

After all this, you either wait around or shop a little if it's over 1 1/2 hours before flight time. If it's 1 1/2 hours or less, you go to your gate. The gate is usually indicated on an electronic bulletin board which lists the gates and the airline which occupies the gate.

When you are boarding your flight, you have to show your boarding pass (and maybe your passport). Then you go through a tunnel onto the plane, where you find your seat.

It's usually not that big a deal, actually.

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2022, 5:55 pm

Not sure how you define traveling but I like to go to Hawaii. I tend to always go to the island of Kauai and stay in the same condo and even rent the same room of the condo, if it is available. I wander across the same beaches and lay underneath the same palm trees on the beach whenever I go. It is very relaxing. I guess its kind of a autistic version of traveling.

The first few times I went to Hawaii, it was a bit stressful. Trying to see all the sights and do all the things and all the while missing my normal routine. After a while, I found that what works for me is just to go find my favorite familiar little beach and relax for a week or so.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 6:04 pm

I'm sure a lot of NTs don't like traveling for most of the same reasons a lot of autistic people don't like it: All the abrupt changes, being in an unfamiliar place, motion "discomfort", getting lost, screaming kids, sleep disturbances, language barriers, culture shock, traffic jams, being stuck in airports, lack of space and privacy, health anxieties, lost luggage...and then there's the *really* scary stuff, like a tsunami or terrorism.

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2022, 6:06 pm

I hate travel and I definitely think that autism is going to make travel much, much less pleasant.
Consider: maybe you have a few specific foods you can stand. Travel means you may not be able to get them.
Airplanes and airports are unpleasant for everyone. Unpleasant smells/noises/textures/temperatures.
Unexpected delays.
Hotel rooms are another minefield of unexpected sensations. Will the bed be comfortable? The blankets? Will I be woken up by people in the hallway?

And what does travel get you? If there's something you really want to see/do, it can be worth it, but if it's just something like "see the city" then naah.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 8:46 pm

I don't like to travel if it involves cities, a lot of people, a rushed set of things you have to do, busy roads I have to drive on...things like that. I don't mind travel if it involves me, the dog, the tent, the car, and a bunch of back roads that will get me out in the middle of nowhere in nature away from people, power, and running water. I'll do that kind of trip any day. Ask me if I want to go to some resort or something? Hell no. I'll stay home, please and thank you.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm

jared11235 wrote:
Not sure how you define traveling but I like to go to Hawaii. I tend to always go to the island of Kauai and stay in the same condo and even rent the same room of the condo, if it is available. I wander across the same beaches and lay underneath the same palm trees on the beach whenever I go. It is very relaxing. I guess its kind of a autistic version of traveling.

The first few times I went to Hawaii, it was a bit stressful. Trying to see all the sights and do all the things and all the while missing my normal routine. After a while, I found that what works for me is just to go find my favorite familiar little beach and relax for a week or so.

Do you travel elsewhere regularly?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:22 pm

It depends on the person. If you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person.

Anyhoo, I love traveling.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 9:48 pm

I'd love to travel the world one day. I enjoy traveling.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 6:53 am

In my case, I just want to travel alone.
I just can't enjoy traveling with anyone.

Too much of my time spent making sure others not worry about me than actually immerse myself to novelty. :roll:

I have no issues with change of routines or lacking of routines by myself. I have issues changing my routines in favor of following someone else's. :skull:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Sep 2022, 10:47 am

sohil142003 wrote:
jared11235 wrote:

Do you travel elsewhere regularly?

Not really. I've been to Maui a few times but there are so many people there. It just makes me feel awkward and unsocial. I went to Oahu exactly once. There are way too many people there and they are all seem to be in a really big hurry - not sure why. Mostly, I just like to go to Kauai. I've been there so much that it starts to feel like a home away from home. I guess that is not really "traveling" to just go to the same place over and over but it works for me.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2022, 12:17 am

Mostly I don't like to travel, I like to stay at home. Packing for sensitivities is the first impossible task, then the actual travel. I would like to see some places but they are too big of a hassle to get to for me or too expensive. I also do not want to fly both for sensitivities, stress and for the environment. Currently, I don't want to support Russia by using boats either.

Train and night-bus is a nice way to travel close by. I think even though the bus usually smells like carpet (textile dust) and fuel which can make me nauseous, they are usually not very crowded, it's quiet and dark and most people sleep. Trains are often very relaxing if there are no kids or drunks nearby. Toilets is a serious issue for me in all transportation though so if it is too far to hold it to get to a real bathroom, then I might not want to go.

But if I can go alone and I don't have to worry about money (cheap country, not too far away, longer time spent there=less stress) then I can enjoy it. But that has only happened once basically, usually, I hate to travel. Specifically, other people want to go to hot places and touristy locations and shop in malls and lie on beach which do not appeal to me one iota.

I prefer smaller countries in the fall or moderate climates, smaller handcraft shops, small coffee shops, smaller restaurants with outdoor terraces, bookstores, 2nd had stores, maybe some interesting architecture-walks and smaller museums or art exhibitions, quiet relaxing places in the city, people watching and such very low-key activities.

Ideally, if I had the money I would like to travel once a year for a week, only on my birthday, so I don't have to deal with birthdays.

Last edited by Trachea on 08 Sep 2022, 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:29 am

My AS mother loved travel, and got me started early. I really enjoyed a long bicycle tour at 27, to find a new place to live. Since then, most of my travel has been on business, without enough time or sleep, so it was not enjoyable. Now, when I must travel, I take my bed and kitchen along to minimize the changes I have to deal with.