Is it an autism thing to not like traveling?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:38 am

I forgot to mention travel sickness. I'm usually too focussed on getting the journey right to notice it, and if the destination gets my strong attention then probably won't notice it either, but I often feel quite weird when I get back home. There's a slight nausea (motion sickness), and I think another factor could be that I've been knocked out of my routine. Things often look a bit unfamiliar when I'm back at home, and that doesn't make me feel good.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:45 pm

Travel is disorienting. I remember opening a newspaper to read my favourite familiar daily comics in a strange city, and even they seemed quite different. There is also the anxiety that if you miss a bus in the city, you just have to wait a few minutes, but if you miss an intercity one, you have to change all your plans. There may also be motion sickness, low quality air, water, and food, and upset schedules. Signage may be unfamiliar and/or incomplete or buried in advertising displays. Regular commuters resent anyone having to slow down to navigate. There can also be unhappy surprises, such as misrepresented facilities, and price gouging on strangers. My biggest reason for not travelling is still the harm it does to the environment, with my current options.

Nic na Mara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2022, 7:01 am

I'm already traveling through Europe for 3 years now, but independently. I hate the common kind of traveling, too. But with my tiny Camper, I can travel with my conditions and move my home to another country. This is a good way to live. If I don't feel well anymore with the people on a place and get depressions (some people make me really sick), I leave and drive into the woods. I stay next to a river for 3 weeks or longer, find my isolation and when I'm in the mood for new social situations, I drive back to the civilization, but still avoid cities (just industry and stress there). There is a specific routine in this nomade lifestyle I really prefer. I enjoy this kind of traveling.

By the way I'm writing journey reports for travelers magazines. Few days ago, I worked in my hammock at the beach and could finish the report about Croatia. Next stop: Greece - and maybe Crete in winter.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:02 pm

When I was younger, I liked traveling, me & my parents usually traveled by car, we had a fave vacation spot, a ski resort, my parents could afford to go twice a year, my mother owned a preschool, it was pretty popular & my dad had more than one business, he owned a supermarket, had another business in a pretty fancy hotel, had a taco diner where I grew up, he had a restaurant, it didn’t too good, my father was a man with different jobs, he used to give me $100 for my birthday, he lost it all years later. I wonder if he didn’t mind if my mom made better money than him. Anyway, alot of the time we went to the ski resort in the summer & winter, I went horseback riding once, it was scary riding close to a cliff, I went skiing, most of the time I was on my butt, I kept falling down. I loved the snow, I built a snowman. So I really like traveling, but I hate packing, I never know what to pack & how much to pack, I always needed to ask my mom. I went to alot of places, alot of time we went with my cousin. We went to the Grand Canyon in a RV. Now I don’t want to travel, I don’t want to go by myself & there is the money. I hate airports, I was flying by myself once, I got lost trying to get my suitcase, in the airplane, I opened a bag of peanuts, the peanuts went flying to the floor. I hate getting search by security.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 6:32 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I hate packing, I never know what to pack & how much to pack

I dislike packing because I can't get it completely done in advance. I need to use a lot of the things I want to take with me, right up until the day of travel. And I hate tasks that I can't immediately get on with.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2022, 10:51 am

I love travelling. My daughter also loves it. We do a lot of planning if going somewhere new mind so have a rough idea what's going on. My son enjoys it for the hotel only as that's one of his interests. He's not so keen on exploring the new place unless its thrill seeking.

That said my daughter and I have no issues with the city as we live in one so its normal for us. My parents live in the countryside so that's also normal.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 2:42 pm

When I was a kid my parents would take my brother and me camping a lot in the summer. But when we got to the campground I'd be so hyper and curious at being in a different place with lots of different people I'd wander around checking everyone and everything out while my brother would just stay right where we were.

But I'm not a kid anymore and I can't enjoy most things like I did when I was under the age of 12. :(

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 2:46 pm

I hate travelling, I like to stay at home with my own things around me, where I know I can get food and drink that I are safe for me and I don't have to search for. Travelling is tiring and quite scary sometimes.

Oh yes and I feel awful when travelling, any sort of motion makes me feel sick and it continues for the rest of the day afterwards. So that is another reason I don't like to move, I keep as still as I can all the time.

sohil142003
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2022, 5:53 pm

KitLily wrote:
I hate travelling, I like to stay at home with my own things around me, where I know I can get food and drink that I are safe for me and I don't have to search for. Travelling is tiring and quite scary sometimes.

Oh yes and I feel awful when travelling, any sort of motion makes me feel sick and it continues for the rest of the day afterwards. So that is another reason I don't like to move, I keep as still as I can all the time.

Relatable honestly. I feel like we are made to feel like we are missing out by not traveling too

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 2:54 am

sohil142003 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Relatable honestly. I feel like we are made to feel like we are missing out by not traveling too

I generally just miss out on life anyway. I don't fit this world and the people in it don't like me. Well they used to but not for the last few decades.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2022, 3:49 am

sohil142003 wrote:
Most people I know say traveling and seeing new things is one of their favorite things to do, but I personally never saw the appeal. Is this an autism thing, or just a me thing? Curious to hear what everyone has to say

What kind of travelling are you talking about?

I am actually tired of: is this an autism thing?
The question is often too simple. People often talk about something in away that is not concrete, eg like you mentioned travelling, and ask if people with autism struggle with it. NT can also have difficulties with it. There can be concrete issues that are more of what we can call ASD issues rather than NT issues.
I wish people could speak about ASD vs NT in a much more concrete way.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 5:39 am

I don't like traveling. All the inconvenience aside, I just don't see the point. Who still need to go to another place in this day and age? :D I have unlimited access to documentaries and a huge projector screen if I want to experience somewhere, without being packed in with other tourists, craning my neck to see "something", risking germs and bad smells. Now of course if I'm going to a desolate place I would feel different and more relaxed, but it's probably boring. I'm not exactly an outdoors sort of person either. I guess I'll just stick to my quiet and beautiful town most of the time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 10:40 pm

I get anxious when traveling because I worry that I'm going to get an unexpected stomach upset and feel like I can't escape if I started to feel sick. The more I worry about it the more I do feel sick, but it's hard to consciously stop myself from worrying.

I don't suffer with claustrophobia but if I'm in an enclosed vehicle and I feel the tiniest twinge in my stomach then my emetophobia immediately kicks in and I get all fearful that I might start vomiting. It's a horrible feeling.

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2022, 11:08 pm

I don't really care for traveling. I'm okay with the change in routine, and can deal with organizing it (within limits). I just don't see the point. Why bother when I can just watch pictures or videos of the place without the planning, cost and time I'd otherwise spend. There isn't any place I wish to go, nothing I feel the need to see IRL. I don't see the appeal in traveling.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 8:53 am

Traveling isn't for everyone but it is a beautiful world and it's nice to experience things for yourself. It can also break the monotony of routine and can be an adventure.

But I have nothing against people who don't like traveling.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 9:45 am

I would like to travel.
But it's expensive.

I know I have more choices -- namely illegal and unsafe.
If it really up to me, if people stop caring and me on my merry way alone, I'd take that route.

All for immersion and all for having choices. But as long as I'm not alone...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.