On the spectrum 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
What are you smoking? 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 6

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2022, 1:12 am

I was just watching season 12 episode-7 "Can You Hear Me?" again, picked up on this line...

In a kind of mental-health themed episode no less:

Graham: quietly talks to Doctor about fears of cancer relapse, then

The Doctor : I'm still quite socially awkward. So, I'm just gonna subtly walk towards the console and look at something. And then in a minute I'll think of something that I should've said that might have been helpful.

This scene felt a little odd, though I'm not as critical of it as some commentators.

Personally I'd like to think I would have handled it better than she did, but I've got 20+ years of therapy on board.

I can see people in my family doing basically that, or just going hmmm and walking off. Some of them are on the spectrum.

Or are they just trying to appeal to more socially awkward people? Or just random no reason for it.

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 6:30 am

The people who write science fiction know who is likely going to be watching it. So you get characters like Spock,data etc.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2022, 11:36 am

Yeah true...

I do kind of like that she is quite fallible, and not always wise or consistent.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:40 pm

I haven't watched it in years, but that does sound good. I liked the fact that in the TV show 'lost' the main hero ...I think his name was jack sheapard...was often wrong and even beat up the wrong person at least once

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:47 pm

Any fictional character’s apparent “aspieness” is most easily attributed to writing and acting that are either targeted for a specific audience, or that are just plain bad.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2022, 11:00 pm

klanka wrote:
I haven't watched it in years, but that does sound good. I liked the fact that in the TV show 'lost' the main hero ...I think his name was jack sheapard...was often wrong and even beat up the wrong person at least once

Actually, he was I always thought him a bit of an anti-hero, assuming u r talking about Captain Jack Harkness.
I think he might have been the first bi character in the show

He in fact reappears in a Series 12 cameo with dire warnings, and makes attempts to snatch up the Doctor, getting it wrong each time, including having a full on pash with the grandfather figure Graham assuming he is the Doctor.

Jodie's doctor has been dealing with current issues more transparently, racism, pollution, mental health, disability, minimum wage and corporate responsibility etc.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2022, 11:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
Any fictional character’s apparent “aspieness” is most easily attributed to writing and acting that are either targeted for a specific audience, or that are just plain bad.

Yeah, but I live in hope. After all it is becoming a lot more common, after all we now have two shows at least coming out of S Korea with ASD leads. Not necessarily good leads, but...

And who is more of a spontaneous out-of-the-box thinker than The Doctor, and even as an alien, they certainly were neuro-diverged from every other Time Lord.

I also love that only one person voted so far, and it was "What are you smoking?".

Not that I smoke anything, except maybe brain juice when on an insomnia fuelled ADHD ASD tangent

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2022, 5:45 am

klanka wrote:

Actually I should have also mentioned, Jack Harness got his own whole spinoff show - Torchwood four TV seasons, and a fifth ah audio season!

He also came back in the Doctor's s13,
sticks his head out and says "Hi, Silver Fox". Graham takes several steps back! Guess he didn't like that kiss from before!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 6:26 am

I was talking about a show called 'Lost' that was on ABC, it was about an island.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2022, 6:11 am

klanka wrote:
I was talking about a show called 'Lost' that was on ABC, it was about an island.

OMG, lol. totally missed that 'the' in there, and read it as well, you know.

Cos he did get 'lost'. For a while, with references to him on and off later and cameos.

I did actually watch Lost, a while back, and yes, was disappointed with the last season too.

CosmicFerrets
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Sep 2022, 3:40 am

She hasn't got autism. She's just poorly written. A real shame because Jodie is a good actor.