Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:25 pm

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 3:42 pm

Even more than the Boomers?

Which group supports the Dems/Left the most?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 9:26 pm

Makes sense that it'd be people 2-17 years older than me. Older people are too wise and younger people are too educated about modern civility.. but there's that sweet spot of middle aged people just rip for conning into a cult.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:23 pm

Amazing what you find when you bother to read the article:

Quote:
It was an unlikely path to a political career, and in keeping with her roots, she often sounds less like a savvy political insider and more like an average voter who is still figuring out which party is right for her. Her thoughts on her own political journey also shows how Gen X voters square their conservative views with the independent streak one also finds in the alternative culture they gave a name to.

Although she was attracted to politics by Trump and voted for him twice, she has not embraced the personality cult around him and struck discordant notes about the 45th president at times. She certainly didn’t like his temperament, but she made clear that she was still a fan of his policies, pointing to achievements like “supporting our veterans” and “getting innocent people out of prison.” She also praised him as “the first candidate who was anti-establishment enough that I took a second look at him.” “I thought he may be someone that was actually different from the Clintons and Bushes,” she said.

In her recollection, her interest in Trump was prompted by his positions on trade. However, looking back six years later she confessed, “I’m going to forget all the facts.” She tried to recall: “I did my research back then into what was happening with Paris Trade Accord [a reference to the climate agreement that the Obama administration had entered into] and things … I didn’t like it, and Trump was against it. I said, ‘Ok, great.’”

This is roughly consistent with Bonier’s analysis of Gen X voters, which has found that they are very concerned about the economy, somewhat concerned about retirement (although nowhere near as much as Baby Boomers) and not terribly concerned about issues like the environment or guns. These general trends were echoed by John Della Volpe, the director of polling at Harvard University’s Kennedy School who found that on economic issues, Generation Xers leaned far more to the right than any other generation.

Wow, it seems to be policy driven, who would have thunk it?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:41 pm

I'm a Gen Xer and a Trump supporter.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 10:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
be policy driven, who would have thunk it?

:lol:

trump wasn't exactly known for his policy achievements.. his policy was basically to take a wrecking ball to as many of Obama's achievements as possible vs. actually accomplishing anything new for himself.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

trump wasn't exactly known for his policy achievements.. his policy was basically to take a wrecking ball to as many of Obama's achievements as possible vs. actually accomplishing anything new for himself.

Oh look, a stupid comment that doesn't actually address anything that was said, what a surprise.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:17 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Oh look, a stupid comment that doesn't actually address anything that was said, what a surprise.

Prefer I point out how stupid the interviewees policy praise is?

trump said words like “support our troops/vets,” while implementing bans against trans troops & veterans.

The former guy hates the natural environment enough to want to pull the USA out of a global accord to reduce pollution. Wow, such impressive policy making. No wonder gen x-ers like trump more than any other generation.. they’re so enlightened about how profitable it is to trash the planet and trump really tapped into that!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:21 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Prefer I point out how stupid the interviewees policy praise is?

trump said words like “support our troops/vets,” while implementing bans against trans troops & veterans.

The former guy hates the natural environment enough to want to pull the USA out of a global accord to reduce pollution. Wow, such impressive policy making. No wonder gen x-ers like trump more than any other generation.. they’re so enlightened about how profitable it is to trash the planet and trump really tapped into that!

Wow, another moronic comment, as if your opinions are the only correct ones.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:23 pm

You’re allowed to make a counterpoint instead of just post insults, you know.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:37 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

You'd need to make a point first.

Also, technically I'm insulting your opinions, which are some of the most clownish ones I've ever seen on this board, which is saying something. Poorly informed, rigidly ideologically constrained, dishonest in that half of the time they rely on a version of what was said that is so distorted that it's hard not to conclude you're doing it on purpose, I consider them trash that lowers the quality of the board and makes actual conversation more difficult. I don't even know why I bother, the joke is likely on me for wasting any time on them at all.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:44 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

You'd need to make a point first.

Also, technically I'm insulting your opinions, which are some of the most clownish ones I've ever seen on this board, which is saying something. Poorly informed, rigidly ideologically constrained, dishonest in that half of the time they rely on a version of what was said that is so distorted that it's hard not to conclude you're doing it on purpose, I consider them trash that lowers the quality of the board and makes actual conversation more difficult. I don't even know why I bother, the joke is likely on me for wasting any time on them at all.

You're right; you can't expect me to be an echo chamber for your opinions on most topics.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:04 am

goldfish21 wrote:
You're right; you can't expect me to be an echo chamber for your opinions on most topics.

Wow, it's like I'm psychic.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:06 am

Ugh, I don't even like snark this aggressive, but it's better than wasting more time actually trying to argue these trash takes, at least this is quick and easy.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:26 pm

Just Dropping This Off As a Friendly
Reminder And Perhaps We Don't Need A 'Sticky'
For It As Most Folks Are Able to Stay Closer to the Top of 'The Pyramid'

Pyramid of Civil Discourse:

(6 Levels)

"1. Refuting the Central Point: explicitly refutes the central point.
2. Refutation: finds the mistake explains why it's mistaken using quotes.
3. Counterargument: contradicts and then backs it up with reasoning and/or supporting evidence.
4. Responding to Tone: criticizes the tone of the writing without addressing the substance of the argument.
5. Ad Hominem: attacks the characteristics or authority of the writer without addressing the substance of the argument.
6. Name-calling: sounds something like, "You are an idiot.""

Note: Donald J. Trump Usually Falls at Levels 5 and 6 of This Pyramid. It's Not a 'Good Look' For Civil Discourse;

Yet It's True, He is A 'Perfect' Poster-Boy To Illustrate This Issue with Social Discourse on 'the Net.'

Perhaps it Would Be Helpful to Have This As A 'Sticky Note' for the PPR Forum on the "Wrong Planet,"

Where We Explain it to Folks Like Mature And Civil Adults.

Pro Tip: Stay on Top oF "All the Pyramids."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem#/media/File:Graham's_Hierarchy_of_Disagreement-en.svg

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:10 pm

Huh, more selective coherence, fascinating.