It’s 2022. How do people not know an Aspie when they see 1?

Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 11:09 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Y'all are making it sound like I could get fired just for disclosing my aspergers. Someone explain please.

No, but they can make your existence there more difficult. Psychological attacks at your known vulnerabilities.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 11:16 pm

I’m in a civil service job, and I’ve been there 40 years.

I still wouldn’t disclose that I have autism.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:29 am

There was something I heard one of my supervisors say about other employees that makes me think my job might be more secure than people on here think:

“If I could get away with not scheduling them I would”

Whatever it is that’s preventing her from not scheduling people, that seems like a good indicator that my job is relatively safe even if managers have a negative opinion of me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:59 am

Why would you do something that would almost certainly give them a negative impression of you? :? Especially by using language like you described above complaining about management. That's no way to win any friends at work, or promotions, or recommendations etc. Just not a wise move. Better to just bite your tongue and keep your head down and do your work and keep a low profile. That'll get you a lot further in the workplace than drawing attention to yourself complaining about management and telling them about your diagnosis. Only disclose it if you have to because it gets you out of hot water or something.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 1:47 am

Right now I’m kinda torn. My dad and I had a conversation about my “built-in sensitivity” to people being mean and how I’ll need to “work hard to overcome”.

I understood what my dad meant and I appreciated him talking to me about it in a calm, non-judgmental manner. At the same time, I can’t get over the fact that those 2 shift managers got on my case the way they did. I feel completely disgusted that manager 2 really thinks that manager 1 calling me a child is not disrespectful.

To make it worse, manager 1 in particular, who I generally work more closely with, won’t apologize.

While I’m going off about work-related things, I’m still bothered by what my supervisors did to me(that is, before I asked them to cut my hours, which they did). Without knowing hardly anything about my tolerance level of long hours, every Saturday they were scheduling me from 5 PM-2AM, followed by having me do dishes after close.

For those who might not realize why I’m making such a big deal about dishes, believe me, the amount of dishes and the kind of dishes are nothing like ordinary dishes that you do at home, and it takes a type of skill that’s hard for me to describe to be able to do easily that I don’t have.

Usually on Saturday’s there’s delivery peeps who don’t come in til 7 or even 9. Why can’t you have them do dishes? Why does it have to be someone who’s been there since 5 unless it is very clear that they can handle that kind of work? That’s very pathetic.

I don’t need anyone telling me to just get another job if I don’t like my current one. I‘ll just try my best to figure it out on my own. Although it seems a lot like I’ll get this kinda bs everywhere I go. That’s not a good feeling.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 4:41 am

What’s keeping you from going to college, learning a trade, or going into healthcare?

That’s the way fast food jobs are. Bosses usually aren’t nice in them. They tend to be more diplomatic in office jobs.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 10:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What’s keeping you from going to college, learning a trade, or going into healthcare?

That’s the way fast food jobs are. Bosses usually aren’t nice in them. They tend to be more diplomatic in office jobs.

Maybe I’m too nervous to get myself into any particular line of work in case that goes haywire. Even after I spend years getting a degree, there’s still a job on the other end of that that I gotta learn.

A lot of people say that people in food service generally aren’t nice. That makes me wonder; what is it about those type of jobs that attract those kinds of people?

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 1:16 am

Another thing I should add: my Asperger’s isn’t going away. At literally any job, all it takes is one unsupportive co worker or supervisor to ruin how great a job can be. Delivering pizzas and hoping for big tips each delivery is sorta fun, but damnit, I’ve got a handful of co workers who’ve done a number on me.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 2:05 am

Oh, I didn't know you were flipping pizzas.

I tried that the summer after my freshman year in college, I was done after 2 months. I chucked it up as a life lesson, s**t people work s**t jobs.

Find something better.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 11:36 am

CubsBullsBears wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Maybe I’m too nervous to get myself into any particular line of work in case that goes haywire. Even after I spend years getting a degree, there’s still a job on the other end of that that I gotta learn.

A lot of people say that people in food service generally aren’t nice. That makes me wonder; what is it about those type of jobs that attract those kinds of people?

Get into a trade. They're in extremely high demand and people can tolerate aspie behaviours on construction sites way better then in offices - I know, I've done both And have a business school education.

Low pay. People in higher paying jobs won't put up with people that aren't nice, so, they get relegated to sh***y jobs others with better attitudes and competencies don't want/don't need because they can hold down a better paying job and live a better life for it.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 11:52 pm

The shift manager that called me a child nearly 2 weeks ago now is still being bossy.

After she got on my case in her typical fashion, she did the same ol’ “sorry to be rude, but” she’s said several times before, but after many of those instances at this point, especially the one where I confronted her about her hurtful words, I don’t buy that crap anymore.

Here’s something I don’t understand: She had told me that she grew up with that kind of language. But, I did too(meaning I’ve had a lot of people talk to me that way)and I’m not bossy with my co workers, and I still wouldn’t be if I were a manager.

Today was rough. Those things at work happened, my step mom was being cold-hearted and the Bears coaching staff is stupid. It all feels very sad rn. I’ve felt like this many times before.