Page 1 of 15 [ 228 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:43 pm

Serious question, her new book coming out seems to have stirred up the online hornet's nest against her, but all I can ever find is some extremely anodyne comments she made to the effect of "women are women, transwomen are transwomen", is that really it? I've been seeing some truly impressive mental gymnastics all over Twitter about her, but no receipts as they say these days, so I'd be curious if anyone has any opinions or knows anything I don't.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 1:34 am

Dont how to do links these days. So look for the site of "NPR WAMU 88.5". Thats the source that came up for me that explained it. My own local chapter of National Public Radio.

Not another Harry Potter, but another book in another series of... "thrillers" that she pens under a male pen name.

In this novel a "popular cartoonist" is found dead after being murdered...and they suspect that angry woke types did this cartoonist in. Critics say that the books mirror's Rowlings recent real life a little too much.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 5:18 am

I haven't read the book but from what I gather, after her spat with the trans community and after trying to reconcile with them, the main villain of the book she released shortly thereafter was basically Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. It's probably an exaggeration but I did still laugh.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2022, 7:04 am

Years ago, she stepped into a quagmire of an activist twitter fight... and the mud sticks till today.

I'm pretty sure that's not the first time when she lets off steam from her real life in her books. The whole character of Rita Skeeter can be easily interpreted that way.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 7:45 am

Quote:
The day J. K. Rowling published her June 2020 blog post, “Reasons for Speaking out on Sex and Gender Issues,” it was rebutted in a 120-tweet thread. It has been rebutted many more times since.

Yet it keeps coming up. In particular, I have seen it endorsed in Helen Joyce’s September 2021 book Trans: When Ideology Meets Reality, and so now I, too, finally feel the need to say something specific about it.

Joyce’s reasoning is bogus, and it’s important to understand why. She says that J. K. Rowling “expressed compassion for and solidarity with trans people” in the essay. No, Rowling did not.

https://tuckerlieberman.medium.com/joyc ... 0aa234d053

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:20 am

She has the right to be BOTH an as*hole AND to be an idiot. That seems to be the lesson.

There is a lot to unpack here.

If Rowlings wants to make fun of hyperwok language vigilantes who demand that we use the phrase "people who mensturate" then its easy for me to laugh along with her.

But if Rowlings wants to just bully the trans community then...I dont agree with her...but I will fight to the death for her right to be an as*hole and to do that. Though freedom of speech cuts both ways, and I would have to also defend the right of those who call out her bullying to do that too.

But in this new book she not only excercises her right to free speech, she also exercises her right to speech impediment because according to the NPR article I read the book is an embarrassingly long 1000 page tome- and a literary dud/deadweight that will likely forever be an albatross around the author's neck.

So...let that be a lesson kids. Never write novels inspired solely by revenge against folks you get into Twitter fights with, lest you end up hurting yourself worse than you injure the party whom you're trying to avenge yourself against!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 08 Sep 2022, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:29 am

This really annoys me. Books are books. Stories are stories. If people are going to go through books pointing out how the characters resemble themselves or their beliefs or something, what is the point of authors writing books? There will always be some people somewhere who can see themselves in someone else's stories.

Writing has always been a way of letting off steam without hurting anyone. If authors went round stabbing and killing those who had hurt them, THAT would be a cause for major concern. But authors get their feelings out by writing stories and often model their characters on people they know (write what you know, is the first advice given to authors). But these stories are FICTION. They do not use the real names, that would be libel.

There was a fashion a few years ago (might still be happening) where readers wouldn't read a book if it contained the merest hint of cheating or adultery. They seemed to think it would corrupt them, or it showed they approved of cheating if they read a book about it. Why they thought that, I don't know.

Again, books are FICTION. People cheat in life so they do in stories. It is possible to read a book without approving of the actions of the characters.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:32 am

Indeed....just because somebody writes about a misogynist....doesn't mean the WRITER is a misogynist.

People do have to learn to make the distinction.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 9:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Indeed....just because somebody writes about a misogynist....doesn't mean the WRITER is a misogynist.

People do have to learn to make the distinction.

Yes, they aren't making that distinction so much these days. I see a story as a separate thing from real life. I think many people don't, they get confused.

e.g. those people who attack soap stars because of their character's behaviour. Those people can't make a distinction between reality and fiction.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2022, 10:25 am

I think the question is “what did JK Rowling do now?”, rather than “what did JK Rowling do in the first place?”

The answer to the first question is that her latest detective book, for the third book in a row, has trans-related content. Specifically, one of the characters is an author who has received death threats from trans activists.

The reaction I have seen has mostly been pointing and laughing at the self-insert, rather than “she should face consequences for this”. But I obviously haven’t seen it all.

If the question is “what was wrong with JK Rowling’s statements wrt Maya Forstater etc.?” then I can address that separately, but I don’t think it was.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 10:57 am

Yeah, JK Rowling Definitely Doesn't Wanna
Continue Down the "Jordan Peterson Rules

For Twitter Etiquette" And Not Expect to Be Publicly
Scathed NoW As A Public Figure By Whoever Wants

to Express Their Side of the Opinion; Particularly,

When Culture is Changing And THAT Culture Tends

To Support Trans Folks Now Where 'They' Had Almost

No Support in my Youth And as A Very Androgynous

Looking Human, The Church Folks Kept Insisting i Was A Girl
Instead of A 'Weak Boy' Who Didn't Deserve to Exist; Yes YOU See i understand

What that Feels Like and Am Happy That the 'Wrong Planet' Provides a Safe
Space for Many Folks Who Actually Do Not Identify With Binary Genders And

It's True in a Tactful Way as Possible if i See Bullying (Even Intellectual Bullying) Here i am

Going to Call it Out As i've Experienced Most Every Kind of Bullying THere Is Except Physical Abuse As Yeah

i Was About a Head Taller Than Most EVERYONE in Middle School And That's Human Nature too; Yes,

'The Small Ones' Are Picked on Most too; Those With All the Other Differences too; and Now it is those

Who Are Insensitive to the Differences in Others Who Are Actually Excoriated on Twitter Like Jordan Peterson

And J.K. Rowling too; However That Can And Will Go too Far too; And Perhaps That is the Metaphor Behind

J.K. Rowling's 1200 Page 'Out of Character' Book Using a New Pen Name Now By Male Name Although

"J.K." May Definitely Meet 'Non-Binary Standards too' As She Chose Not to Gender Her Self With

Those Initials of Course.

It's Like This, it Pleases me Very Much
to Be Able to Go to the Military Gym and
Start Out With Very Graceful Ballet Moves And
Or Tai Chi Moves And Or Martial Arts Moves Free Style

As The Whole Purpose is Gaining Peace From Head to Toe
With No Fear Leaving Only Fearless Chi in Positive Energy for

Explosive Strength and Sure Some of the So-Called 'Macho Types'
Might be tempted to Make Fun of me Behind my Back Yet No Not
at 244 Pounds Now And No Not After i Load the Leg Press Machine

Up to 1520 Pounds And Growl Like Some Kind of Wild Animal to Greater
(With My Arms and Hands Raised to 'the Heavens' With No 'Mechanical Support')
Innervate My Muscle Fibers With A Quick Hit of Adrenaline For Explosive Effort;

No Different Than the Roar A Lion Makes After A Silent 'Chi Pause' Before Ripping the
Throat Out of an Antelope and Having a Bite to Eat on the Savannah; Shock and Awe

And It Rarely Fails
When the New
Elite Military
Dude Comes into
The Gym and Sees How
Well my Process Works;

Their Response is Almost
Always Jaw Slacking in Awe...

And Yes i Have A Video and Photographs

of That Happening When i Was Only Leg
Pressing 810 Pounds Way Back in 2014.

The Key Here is Don't Judge A Book By its Cover

And Don't Judge A Human By The Way They Dance
Or The Way They Sing or The Way They Write Books

In Every Frigging Page As There May be a Surprise Waiting

that No One Is Anticipating Coming And What You May End up With is

A Deer
Stuck
in the Headlights
With No Where to Go...

J.K. Rowling Expresses the Same 'Trans
Sentiment' One Might find in the Catholic
Church i Visit as An Anthropology Participant
Observer And In Fact From the Folks i've 'Interviewed'
She Does Regarding 'Trans Issues' Yet As Far As Younger

"Harry Potter Generations" No, They Will Take Up For Gay Folks,
Trans Folks, And Other Folks Like Autistic Folks With Differences

As They Are No Longer Ignorant of Different As Different is the Black and
White and the Tween too of the New; People are Going Their Own Way Now to the Chagrin of Older Traditions

Yet As A Person Who Still Studies Humans Per my Three degrees From College In Terms of Anthropology,
Social Sciences Interdisciplinary, And Health Science It is Also Tradition That Glues A Society together

So It Doesn't Fall Apart
When Folks Forget About
Voting in A Democracy or

Just Vote For Someone Who
Could Never Win While 'the Dictator'
Who Harnesses the Power of the
Church Tradition Voting Together
Rises Over Someone Who 'THEY' Feel
is Not Good Enough for Their 'Perfect Ideals.'

The Human Condition is Tricky; Handle With Care;

It is An Art in Progress and Never A Science alone
in Terms of Politics, Philosophy, And Religion

As All Hold Hands to Make What is Now;

If Anyone Wants to Know How to

Leg Press 1520 Pounds at

age 62, i Don't Offer Any Lessons;

They All Come From Innate Instinct
And Intuition From Within; The Water, The Air

The Wind
As i Stay
Free With
No Lessons From Before...

Yet Folks Who Mistake My
Grace And Peace For Weakness
At the Gym Get the Shock And Awe Surprise for Free hehe...

It's Like My Peers Who Threatened to Beat me Up For Being A
Boy Who Dared to Smile When Onward Marching Christian Bully
Boys Were Around Both in Middle School Halls and the City Park
Where i became one With Ball and Racket in Zen Play with the Backboard Solo Hehe...

At My 40th Year Class Reunion 'They' Were 'Spent' And i Was and Am Still Just Now Starting With

The Same
Positive
Energy that
i Had at Puberty hehe

And additionally With NO FEAR:

True There Are A Few Lessons
to Be Learned Here for those
Who Value Essence Over Form...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:08 pm

What was her original offense? I can't find anything remotely offensive in any of her statements on the issue, just common sense stuff.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2022, 2:12 pm

Dox47 wrote:
What was her original offense? I can't find anything remotely offensive in any of her statements on the issue, just common sense stuff.

She stepped into the Kate Scottow shitstorm and did not leave it on time.

Ultimately, Scottow won the appeal (nicknamed "the right to be rude on Twitter") but siding with someone intentionally rude, even if you're not rude yourself, does not make you liked.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:

I've never seen the tweet spat in question so have no first hand knowledge.

But what I do know is that you have a history of seeing nothing wrong with what many other people find offensive. So, that's probably the case here, as well. It's not up to you to determine what JK Rowlings fans are offended by or not, even if you don't find some thing or another that she tweeted to be offensive yourself. She offended people, dug her heels in, and got cancelled for being a b***h. That's the story as far as I understand it.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 9:06 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

But what I do know is that you have a history of seeing nothing wrong with what many other people find offensive. So, that's probably the case here, as well. It's not up to you to determine what JK Rowlings fans are offended by or not, even if you don't find some thing or another that she tweeted to be offensive yourself. She offended people, dug her heels in, and got cancelled for being a b***h. That's the story as far as I understand it.

So, you have no idea what you're talking about, but are pretty sure I'm wrong; sounds about par for the course.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 9:08 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

So, you have no idea what you're talking about, but are pretty sure I'm wrong; sounds about par for the course.

No; I'm certain that it's not up to you what JK Rowling fans were offended by. It's up to them. That's the nature of when people take offence to things that you don't find offensive yourself.