Page 16 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:34 am

KitLily wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Well that was kind of soothing and sad at the same time as we watched the Queen's funeral. Even I didn't realise how grandly we do things in England 8O

I'm watching the live stream in replay. I see they decided to leave little Louis at home.

Apparently he is very upset and doesn't understand why Great Granny isn't there anymore. He's only 4 :(

I was thinking about his antics at the jubilee.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:59 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Apparently he is very upset and doesn't understand why Great Granny isn't there anymore. He's only 4 :(

Yes, he's a 4 year old, he can't be expected to sit quietly for hours on end in boring ceremonies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 5:44 pm

Cornflake wrote:
They were both in morning suits at the funeral today, and were both allowed to wear uniforms according to their rank at the lying-in-state earlier.

I think there was some issue about Andrew wearing medals and saluting so some silly protocol which he was not supposed to be doing since he was stripped of his privileges.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 5:46 pm

Prince George looking ever the little statesmen in his black suite. Yes I agree the family should be allowed to mourn in peace. But they are doing it in full view of the public/media.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 5:50 pm

Harry and Meghan have been relegated to the back row...cousin purgatory

Harries humiliation is self-evident. Zara Phillips and her rugby husband have been placed in the front row ahead of Harry and Meghan.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 5:54 pm

Apparently twitter applauded further humiliation of Meghan by the official cameraman who chose an angle to blot out Meghan

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 6:02 pm

People treat her the way Diana was treated.
It's just as despicable imo.
Harry is my favourite royal by far.

I thought Princess Charlotte was absolutely lovely in her black hat.
She'll be remembered like JFK Jr at his father's funeral.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:08 pm

It was very sobering to see the Queen's coffin being lowered into the vault.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 11:21 pm

KitLily wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, he's a 4 year old, he can't be expected to sit quietly for hours on end in boring ceremonies.

Neither can I.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 3:48 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I thought Princess Charlotte was absolutely lovely in her black hat.
She'll be remembered like JFK Jr at his father's funeral.

She will be remembered for her cute childlike sobs for great grandmamma

The smallest ones in the royal entourage are insufferably cute.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 4:33 am

Poor little Charlotte. But it's better to let grief out rather than keep it inside. I saw that all the Queen's children were in tears at one point or another. This is great because it shows people 'it's okay to show emotions.'

That poor William and Harry being made to walk behind their Mummy's coffin when she died in 1997. That was barbaric. I'm realising more and more that the royal protocol of the last 1000 years and the courtiers imprisons the royal family. They do as they are told. Hopefully as time moves on, the protocols will relax.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:18 am

KitLily wrote:
That poor William and Harry being made to walk behind their Mummy's coffin when she died in 1997. That was barbaric..

Apparently they are carrying on a tradition their grandfather Phillip did as a boy

The photo is of Phillip walking behind the casket his sister Cecile at her funeral in Nazi Germany in 1937. Cecile died in a plane crash along with her Nazi husband.

This would have been extremely awkward for Phillip who was actually quite patriotic to Britain and would subsequently serve with some honour in the British Royal navy against the Nazis. For all his buffoonery in old age, the young Phillip was quite brave to walk into the mouth of the beast to honour his dead sister.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 6:58 am

Harry and William said they hated it and wished they hadn't been forced to do it. They said everyone was watching them waiting for them to cry. Prince Philip apparently opposed them being forced to do it, but it seems tradition is greater than kindness and empathy. The Royal Machine, again.

Hopefully they won't do that again to bereaved children when their parents die.

Last week, apparently King Charles wanted Harry and Meghan to be invited to the state dinner before the funeral, but the staff and courtiers, whoever they are, said it was only for working royals and 'uninvited' them.

It just makes me wonder, who really makes the decisions about the royal family? How powerful or powerless are they?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:03 am

KitLily wrote:
Hopefully they won't do that again to bereaved children when their parents die.

The pictures of the children of famous people at funerals are among the most memorable
Who could forget this one

Who could forget JFK junior at his father's funeral

Like his father before him, the little boy would also tragically die before his time. The images are seared in our collective memory.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:09 am

It's not right to make children the target of public scrutiny at such a tragic time.

My dad died when I was 13, I would have fallen apart if I'd been made to walk behind his coffin in public. I mean, fallen apart more than I did in reality.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2022, 7:18 am

KitLily wrote:
It's not right to make children the target of public scrutiny at such a tragic time.

My dad died when I was 13, I would have fallen apart if I'd been made to walk behind his coffin in public. I mean, fallen apart more than I did in reality.

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes I agree it's not right, but unfortunately there are rituals that the children of heads of state must be seen mourning.