Page 15 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 5:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Yes, I often think we should dig up all of Britain to find it all out! haha. Most of it is Roman though, it's unusual when we find anything Saxon or otherwise.

The exception are the Romans of course were prodigious builders so not surprisingly a lot of their original structures were never demolished (e.g, walls, bridges, canals and roads)

Yes, Italian engineering is still a very high standard even today e.g. aqueducts. And castles in Britain of course! Lots of Roman castles still around here, although obviously they've been taken over extended by everyone else since e.g. the Normans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 6:09 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Yes, I often think we should dig up all of Britain to find it all out! haha. Most of it is Roman though, it's unusual when we find anything Saxon or otherwise.

The exception are the Romans of course were prodigious builders so not surprisingly a lot of their original structures were never demolished (e.g, walls, bridges, canals and roads)

Yes, Italian engineering is still a very high standard even today e.g. aqueducts. And castles in Britain of course! Lots of Roman castles still around here, although obviously they've been taken over extended by everyone else since e.g. the Normans.

The irony is that British roads and railways are the direct legacy of the Romans and then the brits build the same infrastructure in India for exactly the same reason....plunder the locals :lol:

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 6:47 am

This was a bit norty:

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/irish ... s-in-a-box

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 6:50 am

I don't watch television at all, so haven't seen a single second of any of the coverage, I am however aware of what's going on from news websites and social media and it does look as though there's another mass formation psychosis in play here.

I thought it was great in the supermarket yesterday morning because they'd stopped playing the same old annoying pop tunes on repeat, then I realised they were probably only doing that out of respect for the queen. A rival supermarket has apparently turned down the cash till beeps for the same reason, which just seems utterly insane to me, makes no sense whatsoever.

I have no strong opinions on the monarchy either way. Getting rid of it isn't going to solve the poverty issue or change anybody's life for the better and I'd rather have King Charles III than a Bush/Clinton style dynasty or the Kardashians (or whatever they're called) as the face of 'modern Britain', then again I'm not going be pressured into mourning because 'if I don't cry along as well, other people's tears won't be as effective and genuine'.

I plan to go for a long walk with my daughter on Monday but expect the neighbours will be tut-tutting if they see me walking past and not staying in watching the funeral.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 8:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:

The irony is that British roads and railways are the direct legacy of the Romans and then the brits build the same infrastructure in India for exactly the same reason....plunder the locals :lol:

It’s a shame we don’t build modern roads as well as the Romans did.

We have a Roman pack horse bridge in our village… it’s still standing and usable after 2,000 years.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 10:09 am

cyberdad wrote:
KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Agree with all of this. But I am still interested in how things transpired chronologically. I'm a big fan of the archaeologists on the Time Team as they dig up new and exciting finds often under the foundations of existing buildings and farms.

Yes it's surprising how little anglo-Saxon, celtic or beaker ware they find. Suggests the cultural influence of the indo-European groups was limited. The exception are the Romans of course were prodigious builders so not surprisingly a lot of their original structures were never demolished (e.g, walls, bridges, canals and roads).

What's interesting is the amount of paleolithic finds. Despite the original paleolithic population being largely wiped from the gene pool, their archaeological legacy is much more impressive than any other group in Britain.

Can you please stop referring to the Stonehenge culture of Britain as "Paleolithic". The culture that produced Stonehenge was at the end of the Neolithic and continued into the early Bronze Age. LONG after "Paleolithic" times.

It just now occurred to me that you probably have "Paleolithic" confused with "Megalithic". Both terms contain the syllable 'lith' which means 'rock/stone'.

The "Paleolithic" means "old stone age". Hunter gatherers. Or in laymen's terms "cave men". The Neandertals were "middle Paleolithic". The Cro Magnon (anatomically modern "cave men") were "Upper Paleolithic". "Upper" meaning higher up in sediment ergo "more recent".

The Upper Paleolithic ended when the Ice Age ended around 10 thousand BC. Then came the Mesolithic, and then came "the New Stone Age" ( ie "Neolithic)- which was the era when they had agriculture, but still used stone tools.

The late Neolithic culture peculiar to Britain is "the Megalithic Culture" because they liked to move big rocks around.

They began their practice of building sites with big upright rocks in the late Neolithic, but they continued the practice into the early bronze age. And indeed reached their pinnacle in the Bronze Age when they build places like Stonehenge.

To repeat: Stonehenge was built by the mysterious "Big Rock" culture (Megalithic), NOT by people of the "Old Stone Age"...NOT "Paleolithic".

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 12:42 pm

Seems there's rumor going around the queen wasn't in the casket that was being shuffled around. Not that she isn't in one. Just that that one being transported all over was a prop.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 5:13 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
[
To repeat: Stonehenge was built by the mysterious "Big Rock" culture (Megalithic), NOT by people of the "Old Stone Age"...NOT "Paleolithic".

Sorry my bad. What I mean't is pre-Beaker people. There's little or no knowledge of the peoples before the Beakers whether they be paleolithic, neolithic or megalithic as their cultural memory was completely wiped out by the Beakers. All we have left are the magnificent megalithic structures + stone flint tools.

The Beaker people were actually quite mobile as there is evidence from their DNA that they moved back and forth from scandanavia, northern France and northern Germany.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 5:14 pm

Trueno wrote:
It’s a shame we don’t build modern roads as well as the Romans did.

We have a Roman pack horse bridge in our village… it’s still standing and usable after 2,000 years.

The practice of cobblestone is directly copied from the Romans

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 7:12 am

Well that was kind of soothing and sad at the same time as we watched the Queen's funeral. Even I didn't realise how grandly we do things in England 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 8:18 am

KitLily wrote:
Well that was kind of soothing and sad at the same time as we watched the Queen's funeral. Even I didn't realise how grandly we do things in England 8O

Apparently Andrew and Harry are in the crosshairs. Their little performance at the Queen's funeral might be their last big hurrah.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 8:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
Apparently Andrew and Harry are in the crosshairs. Their little performance at the Queen's funeral might be their last big hurrah.

Yes, they are, it will. People who bring the royal machine into disrepute get spat out.

Another thing I didn't realise is how powerful the courtiers are. There's been all sorts of confusion this week with the king saying one thing and the courtiers saying the other e.g. Harry and Meghan's invitation to the state banquet. The courtiers got their way, I reckon the royal family just do as they're told and follow protocol. :roll:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Sep 2022, 8:31 am

KitLily wrote:
Excellent, wasn't it?
St. George's Chapel next - there won't be a dry eye in the house.

cyberdad wrote:
What "little performance"?
They were both in morning suits at the funeral today, and were both allowed to wear uniforms according to their rank at the lying-in-state earlier.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:27 am

Cornflake wrote:
Excellent, wasn't it?
St. George's Chapel next - there won't be a dry eye in the house.

We've switched the TV off now for a break :( We'll see the highlights later.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:47 am

KitLily wrote:

I'm watching the live stream in replay. I see they decided to leave little Louis at home.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2022, 10:51 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
KitLily wrote:

I'm watching the live stream in replay. I see they decided to leave little Louis at home.

Apparently he is very upset and doesn't understand why Great Granny isn't there anymore. He's only 4 :(