Page 18 of 19 [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2022, 8:18 pm

Cornflake wrote:
but Catherine seems to be an exception, in that as a "commoner" she just absorbed it all seemingly without difficulties. This was probably helped a great deal by William, being a younger royal and likely free of much of the rigid protocols and stuffiness of his father's generation..

One of Meghan's little fibs was that she didn't know anything about the British royal family before getting introduced to Harry. But her social media posts of 10 years ago suggests she was not only following but also knew had a better than superficial knowledge of William and Harry. However, realistically she probably never considered herself a potential candidate for princess, especially since she is older, a little exotic (both her background and career as a actress) and after her first marriage and the fact that she was not ever going to circulate in the same social circles as William and Harry. When Harry waltzed to the USA to sweep her off her feet that would have taken her by surprise and the whirlwind romance that led to her marriage mean't she had to improvise and concurrently manage her profile to survive the gatekeepers (that was prominently lead by William and his father). Meghan is actually a very intelligent woman and has a masters degree from North/West in communication so that probably helped her to pull of the impossible with Harry.

Everyone knows that Kate Middleton was (in her mind) princess in waiting. She wasn't in the royal family circles directly but through her father's wealthy aristocratic connections she was able to climb social ladders (her parents were social climbers). According to people who knew her, she knew she had the looks, social links and connections to land herself one of the Windsor brothers. She studied everything about the windsors so much so that people thought she was obsessed.

I don't know if her choice of university was to put herself in William's view? or it was just coincidence? but her choice to parade a skimpy dress in front of William knowing her would be at a fashion show on campus was to dangle herself in front of William who was immediately smitten (I mean Kate has always been easy on the eye). She managed to hook a prince, but her commoner background and intense scrutiny from the media nearly did the relationship undone but Kate had weaved her charm over William. And second time was a charm,

Kate had time to prepare/study the ropes so she was much better at coping at the general scrutiny and lack of privacy she would undergo but she knew what to do. Did it impact on her? yes I think it gave an eating disorder (like her passed mother in law Diana) but she seems to have come through the other side unscathed.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2022, 8:39 pm

The Queen's cause of death has been released. It was.... drumroll.... old age.

Queen Elizabeth's Death Certificate Confirms Monarch Died Of Old Age

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 5:58 am

Astounding isn't it? A 96 year old person dies of old age. Who would have guessed?

But there are still people insisting it must have been caused by something e.g. heart attack, stroke.

I don't agree, I think human bodies just wear out eventually. We are only designed to live to about 40 years old, it's just modern healthcare that keeps us going.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:00 am

KitLily wrote:
Astounding isn't it? A 96 year old person dies of old age. Who would have guessed?

But there are still people insisting it must have been caused by something e.g. heart attack, stroke.

I don't agree, I think human bodies just wear out eventually. We are only designed to live to about 40 years old, it's just modern healthcare that keeps us going.

Dang it, that means I could've been done with all of this 20 years ago.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:04 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
KitLily wrote:

You could have done before the arrival of antibiotics indeed.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:07 am

KitLily wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
KitLily wrote:

You could have done before the arrival of antibiotics indeed.

And vaccines. Which reminds me, it's that time of year again. Sore arm time.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2022, 6:11 am

I fond it interesting that the Queen kept to a very strict diet. No starch whatsoever. Often a salad for lunch and fish and vegetables for dinner. The only sweets she went for was dark chocolate occasionally. So I doubt she ever contracted type 2 diabetes.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

01 Oct 2022, 11:01 am

KitLily wrote:

It could well have been, and wouldn't have been much of a surprise at that age - but if the doctor signing the death certificate has a lengthy doctor/patient relationship with the deceased, as he did, he's not obliged to give any more detail than "old age".
It's... enough.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:10 am

Cornflake wrote:
KitLily wrote:

It could well have been, and wouldn't have been much of a surprise at that age - but if the doctor signing the death certificate has a lengthy doctor/patient relationship with the deceased, as he did, he's not obliged to give any more detail than "old age".
It's... enough.

Yes, I have friends insisting that no one dies of old age, it must have been something more. They should let it go, she was 96 and had a great life. There's no suspicious circumstances :roll:

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:56 am

hmm perhaps Liz Truss isn't off the hook after all.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 6:49 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
hmm perhaps Liz Truss isn't off the hook after all.

Yes, meeting Boris Johnson and Liz Truss in quick succession is enough to finish anyone off :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Oct 2022, 7:26 am

Well Liz's touch on the economy has practically killed it, so her touch on the Queen...? (j/k, not serious - but I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the tinfoil hat brigade suggests it as feasible)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 9:53 am

Oh yes, people have already suggested Liz Truss finished off the Queen, on Twitter and WP :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

02 Oct 2022, 10:25 am

:roll: Well color me "disappointed but unsurprised". :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2022, 6:53 am

More likely, the Queen thought 'I've got rid of that awful Johnson fellow, I can relax now.' :lol:

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Oct 2022, 7:27 am

:lol: Very likely - especially after his lies about proroguing parliament put her in a really awkward position.