Wearing glasses makes me more approachable?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 8:17 am

I find when I wear glasses people find me much more approachable in public and are generally friendlier towards me compared to when I don't wear them.

Anyone else here had the same experience as me?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 8:44 am

I look better with glasses than without glasses.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 8:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I look better with glasses than without glasses.

My associates said glasses did not suit me though

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:04 am

I find that people look better with glasses. People look more intelligent.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find that people look better with glasses. People look more intelligent.

My friends down the pub made fun of me when wearing spectacles.

Likewise my parents try to discourage me from wearing them even though they have worn spectacles most of there lives.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:14 am

You just said that people "find you more approachable" with glasses.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You just said that people "find you more approachable" with glasses.

I meant strangers not associates....

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:04 am

I wonder if you make better “eye contact” when you wear glasses. In some cultures this would be perceived as a greeting or invitation to conversation.

I once had a problem with a high fever causing me to go crosseyed. For months after I had to work very hard to keep my eyes focused and make out faces. I noticed that people smiled and greeted me more as a result.

When I was a baby I had clubbed feet. I had to sleep in special shoes with metal bars to “train”my feet. As I grew older I would trip and fall often so I needed to look at my feet a lot to be sure not to trip. This was off-putting to people - it was interpreted as being unfriendly.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:19 pm

I hate myself in glasses, no matter how trendy the frames are. I just feel like a nerd with a weak sort of vibe that makes me look plain and blank.

NOT saying glasses make everyone look like that, in fact the vast majority of people don't look like nerds in glasses, especially the older you get. But I feel that I do, and I get tired of people telling me I need glasses every time I squint.

I like squinting, helps me to focus and drown out my periphery vision. I don't think it wrinkles your face up any more than if you don't squint, as we're using facial muscles all the time.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 10:56 am

I found that to be true in my case but it is related to sunglasses.
I do not make direct eye to eye contact. I look slightly off to one side when I talk to people. Most people consider that trait to reveal that I AM DISHONEST. But they are wrong. I found that wearing a special type of prescription sunglasses, a type of one way glasses produced a profound effect. When people could not see my eyes, they could not see that my eyesight was slightly shifted off to one side. As a result when I was up and about and wearing this type of glasses, I would have total strangers come up to me and begin conversations. It was almost like being an NT.

They could not see my eyes and as a result I BECAME ONE OF THEM.

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 5:46 am

I wear glasses because I'm visually impaired, though I don't think I've experienced the approachability thing. It's possibly connected to the idea of clever people or people who know a lot wearing glasses (which of course is not universally true)?

foxant
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Sep 2022, 12:03 pm

i was hoping to see a photo to analyse if you look approachable or not.
well in my case, i look weird, my myopia is like 9.00 on both eyes so try to imagine how my glasses looks like. :mrgreen:

Special Interest: memes

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 12:25 pm

I like anything that puts a barrier between my face and other people. I feel much more confident that way and people respond more positively to people who are confident.

I always wished I needed glasses. Now I do need them, only for reading, and I realise what a PITA they are so I don't wish that anymore.

I used to like my hair over my eyes a bit but most of my hair is gone now. I grew a beard over the summer but I looked like Charles Bronson (famous UK violent criminal, not the US actor) and my partner wouldn't kiss me with it so that's gone too.

I enjoyed the masks during the pandemic, although they covered up the part of my face I actually like, and even they've gone now.

I guess I'm just not allowed to hide from people.