‘Peppa Pig' introduces same-sex couple after petition

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 10:00 am

The British cartoon's new storyline centers on Penny the Polar Bear and her “two mummies.”

Quote:
The popular British children’s show “Peppa Pig” has introduced its first same-sex couple — two lesbian polar bears — following years of calls for more LGBTQ characters on the show.

In an episode that aired Tuesday on Channel 5 in the United Kingdom, Penny the Polar Bear tells main character Peppa Pig that she has “two mummies” and draws a picture of herself holding hands with them.

“I live with my mummy and my other mummy,” Penny says in the episode, which is titled “Families.” She adds that one of her moms is a doctor.

The cartoon show, which centers around a 4-year-old piglet and her family, has been translated into 40 languages and broadcast in over 180 countries and territories, including the U.S., according to its production company, Entertainment One. It’s been called a “global phenomenon,” though it has also faced some criticism for reinforcing gender stereotypes by showcasing a nuclear family structure with a dad who works and a stay-at-home mom.

A petition was first circulated in 2019 calling on the show, which has aired for nearly two decades and won three BAFTA awards, to feature same-sex parents. The request garnered nearly 25,000 signatures over the last few years

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:12 am

I think that's very good news. Society needs to know that there are all kinds of families.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:18 am

Peppa Pig is a garbage children's cartoon that gives bad and inaccurate messages to kids, like fat-shaming and spreading disease to other people without even trying to cover up coughs (and during a pandemic, no less!). But it will be amusing to see the homophobic reactions of many Americans and seeing the episode or even the whole series yanked off the tube in certain states.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:20 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Peppa Pig is a garbage children's cartoon that gives bad and inaccurate messages to kids, like fat-shaming and spreading disease to other people without even trying to cover up coughs (and during a pandemic, no less!). But it will be amusing to see the homophobic reactions of many Americans and seeing the episode or even the whole series yanked off the tube in certain states.

I liked the adult, Irish version of Peppa pig. Way better.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:25 pm

Never seen an episode as I've never been around a little kid watching it.

But after reading the article, I think it would be hilarious if the next round of protests asked them to give peppa's mom a paid job to help cover the bills thanks to post covidtimes inflation. Of course, peppa's dad should Also be shown taking on additional domestic duties to help prevent mama's burnout.

As for the polar bears, I was just in Alaska for a ~couple weeks and there's a Harley dealership in Juneau. So, it's entirely realistic for them to ride motorcycles. I hope they do. 8)

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2022, 12:30 pm

Ha. Great. They released the new season of Drag Race UK meet the queens-video yesterday and it had an artist by the name of Black Peppa and they said their name is that because they love spicy food and because they saw a cartoon where Peppa the Pig hung up the phone on their friend because they couldn't whistle. I thought that was funny.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:40 pm

Still waiting for Porky Pig to come out of the closet.

itscomplicated
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2022, 2:43 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

do you dislike everything ?