Evidence of Amputation Shows Advanced Medical Expertise

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 4:23 pm

Full Title:
Evidence of Amputation from 31,000 Years Ago Shows Medical Expertise in Prehistoric Times

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/evidence-of-amputation-from-31000-years-ago-patient-survival-for-a-decade-shows-advanced-medical-expertise-in-prehistoric-times/

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:13 am

It's amazing!

I don't even know how to amputate a limb.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 11:20 am

Expertise?  What expertise?

Chop off foot.  Cauterize wound.  Wrap in clean bandages (i.e., woven plant fibers, animal skins, et cetera).  Change bandages daily.  Give the patient a peg-leg or crutch when he is well enough to stand.  No need for a medical degree or alien intervention.

You can skip the first step if the foot was bitten off by a wild animal.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 12:11 pm

It would be tricky without a saw, as disarticulation of some of the joints can be difficult, but as long as you have a way to staunch the bleeding it isn't that complicated.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:18 am

It's amazing that something like that could be done that long ago.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 2:08 pm

Fnord wrote:

Chop off foot.  Cauterize wound.  Wrap in clean bandages (i.e., woven plant fibers, animal skins, et cetera).  Change bandages daily.  Give the patient a peg-leg or crutch when he is well enough to stand.  No need for a medical degree or alien intervention.

That simple process does require some level of advanced medical knowledge.. heck, modern surgeons didn't even realize the importance of washing their hands before buddy in my avatar literally went nuts trying to explain it to them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 11:09 pm

Fnord wrote:

For the adolescent to have survived it means the amputation needed to be more than hacking with flint stones. It suggests both more sophisticated knowledge of cutting/slicing technology, careful pre-post operation techniques and community care for the adolescent. Not bad for primitive hunter gatherers