Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 10:48 pm

I'm due to travel in 3 days but all of a sudden I've come over a bit unwell. I've had a headache all week and now my throat hurts and my body aches on and off, and I keep feeling hot then cold. My boyfriend seems fine.

Yes, I will test myself for covid today but I will wait for my boyfriend to come home from work first because I'm so nervous, so I prefer to do the test while he's with me.

I haven't had a cold since March 2020, and I don't think I've had covid yet (unless the cold I had then was covid but I will never know). I really don't need a cold or covid right now before going away. :roll:

I also have a swollen gland on my neck and I'm hoping it's just my body fighting an infection and that I won't get ill. It's really unpleasant to travel when you don't feel well, and if it's covid then I won't be able to go at all.

Why am I so unlucky?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:24 pm

I’m sorry, that is truly a bummer.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 3:11 am

A nurse for an elderly care facility who had seen a lot of sick recommends taking immune boost vitamins. Seems to have worked for my family. I'd suggest gargling antiseptic mouthwash, it will help your throat.

COVID doesn't restrict you from travel anymore, so you're in the clear anyway. Also nobody has it bad anymore.

Trachea
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Sep 2022, 4:16 am

Well if you do get the flu, you can't really help it, but you can try to prevent getting it by now eating very healthy with lots of vegetables and fruit and gargling with salt water which can help the throat.

I would have lots of vitamin-c-rich foods like citrus and berries. Pumpkin seeds are especially high in zinc, as is tofu, lentils and oatmeal. Maybe you can have green tea with lemon, ginger and honey as a tonic. The lemon and ginger fight inflammation and green tea is rich in antioxidants as is leafy greens and broccoli and dark chocolate for example. Fermented foods like kimchi are great for gut bacterial health which can maybe help the body fight off getting sick. Milk products like yogurt are healthy too but can cause phlegm so I tend to stay away from them if I feel I might be getting sick.

On top of that I think it's best to rest extra and drink extra water. Hopefully, you don't get ill and you can have a nice trip! It's maybe common to stress before traveling which I think can make us more susceptible to viruses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:48 am

r00tb33r wrote:
A nurse for an elderly care facility who had seen a lot of sick recommends taking immune boost vitamins. Seems to have worked for my family. I'd suggest gargling antiseptic mouthwash, it will help your throat.

COVID doesn't restrict you from travel anymore, so you're in the clear anyway. Also nobody has it bad anymore.

There are still covid wards in hospitals so there must still be people getting really ill with covid.

A lot of my gums in my mouth feel sore. I'm hoping I've got some sort of mouth infection. When I get non-viral infections they just go on their own. So I'm hoping it's just my immune system attacking the harmful bacteria in my gums. That might explain the swollen glands in my neck - the same glands that swelled up when I last had a tooth out at the dentist.

I don't have a stuffed nose. But I don't feel 100%. All I want to do is go to bed but I can't at this moment because I've just arrived at work. I was off sick with anxiety/depression a couple of weeks ago so I don't want any more time off sick.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:19 am

Sweet Pea hugs

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 2:32 pm

12 of us had to test covid negative before travelling.
More than half of us came back with covid.
We're all 3-4x vaxxxXed.
We've all had very minor symptoms overall.
I'm still in covid jail as I haven't re-tested to see if I'm negative yet - but I MAY be by now as some are already.
Thanks to vaccines and the covid virus mutating and weakening, it's an extremely mild illness for MOST ppl when they get it.
Even the most vulnerable of us - my dad - is fine. Early covid would have almost guaranteed been the death of him.
I, too, hadn't even had so much as a cold in nearly 3 years, and then caught covid.. which is, a cold, basically, with a variety of possible symptoms and a bit different feeling than other colds - I think, it's been ~3 years.
Overall Covid is no longer such a big deal, especially for the vaccinated.
Yes, people are still dying here too.. they say 40 people (out of 5M+) per month Province wide die within 30 days of a positive covid test - BUT - that doesn't necessarily mean that covid killed them AND it's probably not much of a different rate than the common cold killing very elderly people at the end of their lives when they have no immune system left to fight it off.

I have read that if you've had a cold recently it was Probably covid, as more than half of British Columbians have had covid already. Makes sense that a super highly contagious cold virus would be the likely cause of someone's cold. Is your cold covid? Won't know until you test.. but, based on probabilities.. my bet would be probably. Chances are you'll be fine like almost everyone these days and the worst potential part may be not being able to travel if it is in fact covid.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 3:42 pm

I'll be terribly upset and disappointed if it is covid because that would mean all plans cancelled as well as a wasted week off work. I really needed this vacation, I've been looking forward to it for months. I'm so nervous of taking a test in case it says positive. Then what? Things won't be very positive then. :roll: :cry:

I'm thinking it might be gingivitis though, as all my gums are swollen and sore. Swollen gums isn't a covid symptom, right? I don't know how I got gingivitis though, as I brush my teeth every day using a good electric toothbrush.

But two weeks ago I was going through a severe anxiety episode, then last week I went through all that depression and self-loathing. Also there's some stress going on at work, so maybe it's all taken its toll on me. I've stressed myself ill.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 3:52 pm

On the bright side, if you don’t take vacation now and do it next year or the year after you can look forward to it for years! 8)

I just got back from a two week vacation. The last time I went anywhere on an actual vacation was almost 14 years ago. I’ve never ever booked time off work for a vacation - only one day here or there to extend a long weekend in order to attend a wedding or something. I’ve only ever gone somewhere when I wasn’t working due to lack of work, injury or illness etc.

I don’t comprehend people who live daily lives they need to escape from by going somewhere else every several months. I find life is a lot more enjoyable by living a daily life routine that’s enjoyable instead of one that requires spending all sorts of money to escape from frequently.

If you do happen to get stuck at home in Covid jail, perhaps you could use the time to re-evaluate how you spend your time and maybe add some more joy into it so you don’t have to count on vacations for fulfillment. Then it won’t be so disappointing if they’re delayed by illness or some other life event. Also, your daily life will be happier and healthier - a win-win imo.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:40 pm

No it's not. My boyfriend has been looking forward to it too. It's not as simple as you think when vacations get cancelled just like that. I want to go now, not next year. You don't know how things will be next year.

The monotony of routine is so boring, that is why people go on vacations; a break from routine, change of scenery, exploring new places, etc. This vacation isn't just laying on a beach all day or partying, it's exploring new places, going on excursions, visiting historical places that I've always wanted to visit, etc. I can't have my plans change now.

I know you're trying to ease the situation by not making it a big deal...but it is a big deal.

And if covid isn't so deadly any more then why are they still stopping people tested positive from doing anything?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:48 pm

Why have a boring monotonous routine ? Is my whole point. Routinely do things that bring you joy in your daily life. For me, that’s going to the beach multiple times/week or riding my motorcycle. I really should have gone kiteboarding again this summer but it doesn’t seem likely. Different things will be on your todo list than mine, but why not do them regularly instead of having a boring life and only finding joy in the escapism of vacations ? is my point.

Plans sometimes do get cancelled or postponed.

My best guess for the Covid protocols is because governments have contracts with suppliers of Covid tests that they haven’t given them all our money for yet so they’re keeping up with this BS even though Covid is now obviously endemic. Gotta make sure their cronies make as much money as possible before stopping the program!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:00 pm

Well I work 5 days a week and that's enough routine to bore myself silly even if I do make time to do other things. Going on vacation is a complete break altogether, an adventure. Most NTs would probably understand what I mean.

I spend a lot of time doing my hobbies, in the evenings. Weekends I usually go to see family or friends or just relax. Then Monday comes and it starts all over again; work, bed, work, bed. The weekends fly by so fast that I forget what I did each weekend. We need a bank holiday once every month really. A 3-day weekend every 4 weeks will do nicely.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:47 pm

Had to google to find out the number. We have 10 stat holidays/year in BC - not quite one per month.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:04 pm

Did you test yet?

You might as well find out so you can start counting your days of isolation, if necessary.

I first tested positive on Thurs 1st of September. The first three days were absolute hell. I know it's not as bad as the first few strains of Covid but it was much worse than I expected, and I had considerable difficulty breathing (mind you, I have a heart condition and high BP.) I had a migraine, couldn't open my eyes, high fever (101-102), sore throat, chest full of rubber and phlegm, barking wet cough, non-stop loud sneezing, high pulse (120), and such profound exhaustion I couldn't roll over or sit on the edge of the bed without passing out for a few hours from fatigue and dizziness. After three days it morphed into something more like pneumonia with the chest goo but no fever or migraine.

It's the 9th day and I'm still testing positive.

The rules are very confusing. I have no idea when a person stops being contagious. My doctor said I could go out last night and I'm paying for it today. It put me right back to the beginning of the pneumonia feeling. If it goes by Test + Number of Days where you are, you might as well test and get it over with so you have an idea when you can travel, if of course you're feeling well enough at that time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:10 pm

Oh dear, I hope you feel better soon. It's what is scary about covid, nobody knows how it's going to affect them.

I cleaned my teeth earlier and spat out a lot of blood. My gums have been sore ever since all these flu-like symptoms and swollen glands started. So I'm hoping to God that it's gingivitis and not covid. I can worry about all that after the vacation.

But I don't know how on earth I got gingivitis though, if it is that, because my oral hygiene is very good.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:14 pm

Ironically I had a dental cleaning just prior to getting sick.
They said my gums were bleeding, which they'd never seen before.
They were kind of surprised because I go every 3 months.

Hmmmm.