Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Have you ever felt like you‘ve been falsely diagnosed?
Never 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
Sometimes 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Often 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15

dusterrrr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Sep 2022, 10:43 am

So I got diagnosed with ‚high functioning‘ autism and I’m not really sure wether I really have it. It was even surprising to me.
When I asked them why they think so they named reasons that seem ridiculous to me and there are plenty of other people who do the same things. They then explained that some things are normal alone but when it’s a certain amount of symptoms gathered it’s already autism. Still, I feel like I’m neurotypical. Yes, I have some problems when communicating with other people but having them doesn’t necessarily mean being autistic. Aren’t there plenty of neurotypicals who have them?And now I’m feeling like everybody’s looking down on me, like I don’t belong anymore. Though I don’t feel like I belong with people on the autism spectrum either.
I feel like they‘re just trying to put me in a box because I’m don‘t have average behaviour and character traits. But isn’t the world boring if everybody is the same?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:50 am

I question my diagnosis every day, but the more "different" everyone is on the spectrum the more meaningless autism will become. Whenever I say "I don't identify as autistic because I don't do XYZ" the answer is always "but everyone with autism are different." So where's the line drawn then? I know I have anxiety disorder and ADHD so where's the line drawn between those two disorders and autism?

Why don't they just stick everyone on the autism spectrum and say "well everyone with autism are different so that outgoing, popular woman you know could be autistic but is just masking really, really well".

Who's idea was it to stretch the autism spectrum so wide that practically everybody with any learning difficulty or mental illness are on it?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 4:25 pm

I voted often because of what my mom said about it. Plus she has kept telling me since I'm 15 I'm not a real aspie because real aspies have symptoms all the time and are more limited. Aspergers was the best diagnosis for me, it's the closest match for my diagnosis. Yeah so way to make me feel better about myself, now I know I'm fake, I don't exist, no one has discovered my disorder yet to name it.

Maybe my mom is right all along, if I overcame my symptoms such as not to butt into conversations, stop interrupting, memorize social rules, I must not be a real aspie if I don't ever have a burn out from it and don't get exhausted.

I then decided to stop attending my aspie group too if my diagnoses is fake and I am still waiting for my disorder to get a name.

I also have felt my psychiatrist took all my diagnosis and put them together and made it autism so I am not carrying all these labels.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 10:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I voted often because of what my mom said about it. Plus she has kept telling me since I'm 15 I'm not a real aspie because real aspies have symptoms all the time and are more limited. Aspergers was the best diagnosis for me, it's the closest match for my diagnosis. Yeah so way to make me feel better about myself, now I know I'm fake, I don't exist, no one has discovered my disorder yet to name it.

Maybe my mom is right all along, if I overcame my symptoms such as not to butt into conversations, stop interrupting, memorize social rules, I must not be a real aspie if I don't ever have a burn out from it and don't get exhausted.

I then decided to stop attending my aspie group too if my diagnoses is fake and I am still waiting for my disorder to get a name.

I also have felt my psychiatrist took all my diagnosis and put them together and made it autism so I am not carrying all these labels.

I have never questioned your diagnosis....as another passer by on the internet.

I did question my diagnosis when I got it, and I have had few in my life confirm the diagnosis- all said otherwise. People are often puzzled and confused when I say I have autism. (so I never do) I too struggle with how vague autism has become and it does seem like more and more people with all sorts of varying issues are now autistic and likely wouldn't be without the changes. However if your difficulties are so great as to affect you your whole life and there isn't a better explanation besides your diagnosis than it seems likely IMO. So though we may not appear atypically autistic or appear as the stereotypical autistic I think if the shoe fits but it's a little loose you can still walk in it? I don't know. Often I think questioning the diagnosis has more to do with being very critical of oneself rather than the actual diagnosis itself and its accuracy. We didn't ask for the diagnosis- nor the knowledge of autism, nor the existence of autism- we need not cause ourselves more mental stress by questioning it to the degree that some of us do. In essence it's just rumination that doesn't really serve a purpose at the end of the day because there is no true or right solution.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 3:00 am

I do not doubt my autism diagnosis.
I might as well doubt aspergers itself and actually felt closer to classic autism, just without the low IQ, severe impulsivity and anxiety and able to keep up with aspergers cases.

I never felt NT beneath autism or a normal person with autism symptoms.

I also don't feel like any other autistic person either...
With or without autism symptoms or traits, there's something else I knew the whole time before I ever realized I'm different.

What I doubt is aspects that autism alone cannot explain or missed. I might be under diagnosed with something else and happened to be with autism.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.