Do you hear the words in your head when you read?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

I always hear the words in my head when I am not reading out loud. I have read that some people don't and it is clearly possible or else people born deaf wouldn't be able to read, but I just cannot imagine reading without "hearing" the words.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 5:10 pm

I "hear" the words in my head when I read. I've heard people say that they also have a specific voice they hear when they read, though I can't really discern a "voice". I don't know how that works or how to even explain it. lol

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:19 pm

Yes I hear them, but I also see (sense)(imagine) colours because of synaesthesia.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 6:26 pm

I thought everyone heard some sort of voice in their head when they read, otherwise how can you read at all? But thinking about (born) deaf people...how they read is a mystery to me, maybe I should look that up.

The voice in my head when I read is a very plain voice, not my voice or any other, although I do have intonation, but it's still a very "transparent" voice.

Perhaps deaf people think in pictures or something and they somehow can picture words as they read, I don't know. But I think for most people that aren't deaf we probably do naturally hear a voice as we read.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 7:30 pm

Yes, I do. I'm trying to stop doing it because according to a book I read on how to read fast, reading out the words in your head is one major factor that makes you read slowly. The book says that you should train yourself to use only your eyes to recognize the words without pronouncing the words in your head. In that way your reading speed will dramatically improve. I still haven't achieved this eye-only technique for reading and hence read slowly.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 8:56 pm

I also hear words in my head when I'm reading. I always have.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:01 pm

I read slowly as I can't hear the words I think of if I read to quickly! :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:03 pm

temp1234 wrote:
Yes, I do. I'm trying to stop doing it because according to a book I read on how to read fast, reading out the words in your head is one major factor that makes you read slowly. The book says that you should train yourself to use only your eyes to recognize the words without pronouncing the words in your head. In that way your reading speed will dramatically improve. I still haven't achieved this eye-only technique for reading and hence read slowly.

I can read very quickly by sight (not phonetics), but yet I still hear the voice.
It's weird because the voice doesn't speed up.
There's kind of an automatic timing adjustment, maybe?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 9:04 pm

temp1234 wrote:

BUT, to try to read faster than one can form the audiable thought words in ones head means that ones brain is not inputting the information that one has read reandering the whole reading process an entire waste of time!

Radish
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 5:47 am

Yes I hear the words and depending on what I'm reading in different voices too if I associate them with the words, for example I could hear Shaun Connery's voice.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 12:33 pm

temp1234 wrote:

I hear the words in my head and still read much faster than other people I know. I didn't know that it could be a factor in someone being unable to read fast. :scratch:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2022, 1:09 am

in foreign languages only, or dialects,
i need to "hear" the words or find myself reading but not getting any meaning from it

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 6:55 pm

Not at all, however sometimes I do imagine myself as a character in whatever I read.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2022, 9:46 pm

I hear the words and read faster than anyone I know personally.Pictures also with the stories and the voice can change.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2022, 1:48 am

Yes.

Never even thought about until one day I was reading a book about the history of ships- a cool book with big pics of classic ocean liners of the 20 century- when I was about eleven years old.

One chapter in the middle was an essay by Winston Churchill about the HMS Mauritania ( a luxury liner that severed as a troop transport in both world wars). He praised the ship as if it were a person - calling the ship "a lady with a fighting heart". As soon as my eyes hit the first page of his essay I immediately stopped hearing my normal inner voice, and began hearing Churchill's voice. That bulldog "we will fight them on the beaches'' thing you hear in history docs on TV. It was if Churchil were in the room talking to me personally. In fact I got little sick of his voice because it was a long essay.

But it got me aware of how a person's mind works while reading.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Oct 2022, 8:36 pm

I hear words in my head when I read but I don't hear a specific voice. I'm not sure if this is related but I've heard that us autistics tend to think in pictures but I think in words instead. I was born with a rare low vision disorder & probably have that face blindness disorder that affects my visual processing ability as well.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition