Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 8:30 pm

My friend gave me this, she think Aspergers people are capable of doing anything like Neurotypical can. Alot of Aspergers people probably can do alot more than other Aspergers people. There are alot of people here that is smarter than me. I also have Cerebral Pasly & Learning Disability, learning disability makes it ALOT harder for me.
I’m wondering if this true what this guy saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPyPIAHJpxI&t=205s

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2022, 4:57 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
My friend gave me this, she think Aspergers people are capable of doing anything like Neurotypical can. Alot of Aspergers people probably can do alot more than other Aspergers people. There are alot of people here that is smarter than me. I also have Cerebral Pasly & Learning Disability, learning disability makes it ALOT harder for me.

Is this a question on talent and ASD?
Some people with ASD have a specific talent but must of us have more of a capability to be good at something without having a specific talent.
A specific talent is about a very specific thing. Maybe someone happened to be really good at slapstick.
People like me do no have a specific talent in that way. It's more like we have characteristics thay we can use in order to learn something.
I am analytical in this way: "An analytical person wants to gather and consider information at length before making a big decision. Even in small choices, they will tend to look to the numbers or data for guidance, rather than making an off-the-cuff choice"
https://www.quora.com/What-does-it-mean ... cal-person

This is me, I think, but I am not born with a talent for a specific thing. It's more like a I am analytical and good at perming what I have analysed, eg a tune I learned.

I guess you don't understand me...but this is difficult to explain.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2022, 4:59 am

Kitty4670 wrote:

So you're mentioning CP and LD. Are you really talking about ASD?

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 5:41 am

I believe what the guy in the video says is true. The point that he's trying to make is that people with autism can be as successful and happy and that they are as capable as those without but simply have different challenges.

What he says applies to me. I have extreme attention to detail and focused but also have difficulty interacting with people. This social difficulty/challenge makes it difficult for me to offer my strengths to people because even before I have a chance to contribute, I'm excluded. I believe this is one of the "different challenges".

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 7:04 am

Yes, I think he's just saying that having ASD doesn't mean it's impossible to become happy. Maybe it's your friend who is more extreme about it and thinks that we aren't disabled in any way, which seems ridiculous to me. A diagnosis of ASD means that the client has certain impairments.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 8:02 am

As they would say down South, bless his heart.

He’s a child. I suspect that after he has lived in the real world for another ten years, and assuming he doesn’t become a Professional Autistic Person (a Google search suggests he’s on his way there), his view of ASD in the world will be less sunny.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 7:17 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Yes, I’m talking about Aspergers.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2022, 3:24 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Yes, I’m talking about Aspergers.

But can you really only talk about ASD without the other diagnoses?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2022, 3:26 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Yes, I think he's just saying that having ASD doesn't mean it's impossible to become happy. Maybe it's your friend who is more extreme about it and thinks that we aren't disabled in any way, which seems ridiculous to me. A diagnosis of ASD means that the client has certain impairments.

NT people have impairments! I hear about it all the time.
We should talk about NT disorder, I guess.