Brett Ranon Nachman - Researches Autistic college students

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 1:23 pm

Nachman Launches Nationwide Study Focused on Success Among College Students With Autism

Quote:
A new U of A faculty member launched a long-term, nationwide study last week exploring how students with autism define success in college and what helps them thrive while attending.

Brett Ranon Nachman, an assistant professor of adult and lifelong learning in the College of Education and Health Professions, is the co-principal investigator on the new, longitudinal project funded by a $90,000 grant from The FAR Fund and a $27,500 grant from the Frist Center for Autism and Innovation at Vanderbilt University.

Nachman's research focuses on how college students with autism navigate higher education and examines how college campuses can be more accepting of those students. The new study invites autistic undergraduate students in the United States to share factors that are important to their success, however they define it, including experiences related to their health, academics and employment.

The study was developed by a multidisciplinary team of researchers, practitioners and self-advocates, which is unique. It also seeks a nuanced, comprehensive picture of autistic students' experiences.

"Autistic students' stories are not always illuminated, by virtue of lack of diagnosis or disclosure for many, as well as inattention to this community in some spaces," he said. "Yet they are increasingly enrolled on our college campuses and can make significant contributions to our communities when they feel they are heard, supported and valued."

Nachman understands this better than most. "As someone who navigated postsecondary education as an autistic individual, I believed that the distinct challenges that I faced were rather unique, as I rarely encountered individuals who I knew could relate to my challenges," he said.

Instead, most literature painted a limited and deficit-based picture of autistic students, Nachman noted.

"However, I quickly connected with researchers who were changing the paradigm with their intentionality in producing thoughtful, well-rounded research on the autism experience in higher education, and soon I began to contribute to this space, too," he said.

Over the past three years, Nachman has published eight peer-reviewed journal articles on different aspects of autism in higher education, including a case study designed to inform institutional leaders on making their campuses more accepting. Another study analyzed autistic LGBTQ+ college students' experiences.

"What motivates my research is a personal and professional mission to ensure that autistic college students' experiences are better understood and appreciated to create positive change," he said.

bolding=mine

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman