Ken Burns Tackles American inaction during Holocaust

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 6:31 pm

The U.S. and the Holocaust A Film by Ken Burns, Lynn Novick & Sarah Botstein

Quote:
The U.S. and the Holocaust is a three-part, six-hour series that tells the story of how the American people grappled with one of the greatest humanitarian crises of the twentieth century, and how this struggle tested the ideals of our democracy. By examining the periods leading up to and during the Holocaust with fresh eyes, this film dispels competing myths that Americans either were ignorant of the unspeakable persecution that Jews faced in Europe, or that they looked on with callous indifference. It also takes a candid look at the roles that eugenics and racism, as well as xenophobia and antisemitism, played during this crisis and throughout American history. In the process, it grapples with questions that remain essential to our society today: Is America, truly, as it claims to be, a land of immigrants? Why did we fail to rescue a people at the time of their greatest need? How do the continued struggles over how we define our past shape our future as a country?

The U.S. and the Holocaust is directed by Ken Burns, Lynn Novick & Sarah Botstein, telescript by Geoffrey C. Ward and produced by Burns, Novick, Botstein & Mike Welt. Its initial broadcast is scheduled for September 18-20, 2022. (6 hours)

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 6:58 pm

What America did to the Jews during the holocaust is called "silent treatment".

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 7:26 pm

When you look back on history is there really any country out there that's not guilty of xenophobia, genocide, or slavery? Every time I see people complain about how bigoted and evil the US supposedly is I think they're calling the kettle black.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 7:32 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
When you look back on history is there really any country out there that's not guilty of xenophobia, genocide, or slavery? Every time I see people complain about how bigoted and evil the US supposedly is I think they're calling the kettle black.

I was saying that the whole world gave Jews silent treatment, and US was just an example.

But good point: I don't think US is more xenophobic than others. Actually I think it tends to be the opposite.

Maybe people are just overly-focused on US period. Instead of showing world map they show map of US, instead of studying world history they study US history, instead of talking about the world problems they talk about US problems.

Americans did this to themselves actually. They like to focus on themselves, both their good and their bad. And then the rest of the world says "see Americans say they are bad, we agree with them".

By the way, America is not the richest country in the world either. Euro is more expensive than a dollar. Yet America surely likes to draw attention to itself as such.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 7:36 pm

That post wasnt directed at you specifically just the topic in general and I agree with a lot of what you said, and maybe you're right in how we brought it on ourselves for always being in the spotlight.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm

So far what I've heard is other countries are just as bad or worse so let's ignore history.

Ken Burns's series about historical world events are self admittedly completely American-centric.

The subject is not just some trivial historical moment. It has similarities to current American events.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 9:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
So far what I've heard is other countries are just as bad or worse so let's ignore history.

Ken Burns's series about historical world events are self admittedly completely American-centric.

The subject is not just some trivial historical moment. It has similarities to current American events.

I specifically said we should all look back on history, I never said we should all ignore it.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 9:59 pm

Here is the thing. If there was at least one country that were to let the Jews in, they would have been saved from the holocaust.

If you want to make it focus on the US, fine, here is how I would break it down:

a) Even if US didn't let the Jews in, there were billions of other countries that could have let them in. They didn't. So you can't make it as solely US fault.

b) Even if the rest of the world decided not to let the Jews in, US could have saved them but they didn't. So that aspect is where its US fault.

Now, replace US with any other country (such as Sweden or Norway) and copy "a" and "b".

On a different note: it is silly to focus on US the discussion of antisemitism, given that US is the closest ally Israel has.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 10:01 pm

On the eve of the War there was a big conference of nations in Rome on the subject of Jewish refugees called "the Evian Conference". Most countries, including the US, and the UK, expressed sympathy for the refugees, but just offered excuses for not taking them in.

The only head of state who acquitted himself well at the now regarded as "infamous" Evian Conference was, of all folks...Trujillo (TRUE- HEE-Oh)...the worst dictator ever of the Dominican Republic.

Trujillo was happy to take in Jews. He was happy because he wanted the know how of European Jews to build up his third world country. But motives aside...he was willing.

None of the western democracies were.

Later however as the war broke the US did take in 100K Jewish refugees which was "more than any other nation" according to Wiki.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 10:21 pm

QFT wrote:
Here is the thing. If there was at least one country that were to let the Jews in, they would have been saved from the holocaust.

If you want to make it focus on the US, fine, here is how I would break it down:

a) Even if US didn't let the Jews in, there were billions of other countries that could have let them in. They didn't. So you can't make it as solely US fault.

b) Even if the rest of the world decided not to let the Jews in, US could have saved them but they didn't. So that aspect is where its US fault.

Now, replace US with any other country (such as Sweden or Norway) and copy "a" and "b".

On a different note: it is silly to focus on US the discussion of antisemitism, given that US is the closest ally Israel has.

The US is the closest ally to Israel at the moment is irrelevant to what happened between 1933 and 1945. Antisemitism was at a high point during this period and was a factor in the US decision not to save the Jews.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 12:03 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Trujillo was happy to take in Jews. He was happy because he wanted the know how of European Jews to build up his third world country. But motives aside...he was willing.

So why didn't Jews go there?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 12:58 am

Have no fear, the political right will come galloping to the rescue and call Burns' documentary Woke revisionism and globalist cultural Marxism!

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 2:11 am

QFT wrote:

By the way, America is not the richest country in the world either. Euro is more expensive than a dollar. Yet America surely likes to draw attention to itself as such.

But I believe the US was, around the time of WWII, the richest country in the world and for some 30-40 years after. Or, at least, that is how it felt to people. We were proud of it back in the 1970s, I remember that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 4:35 am

The Euro is actually around a dollar nowadays. Today, a Euro is worth $1.02.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 5:23 am

Odds are that the European Jews didn’t know about the Dominican Republic.

Moreover, the Dominican Republic is a very small country in area. Imagine the logistical nightmare which would ensue if, all of a sudden, hundreds of thousands of people came to the DR?

Obviously, we, the US, dropped the ball on this one.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 10:02 am

I am pretty sure the film will take a deep dive into this but here is a brief overview of American anti semitism during this era.

The US and the Holocaust Project Group:

Quote:
This page was created by Lauren Freeman, about the prevalence of antisemitism in the United States during the Holocaust. Much of the following information was drawn from David Wyman’s book The Abandonment of the Jews: America and the Holocaust 1941-1945(1984; Wikipedia book page).

A Prevalent Attitude
During the Holocaust, antisemitism was a factor that limited American Jewish action during the war, and put American Jews in a difficult position. It is clear that antisemitism was a prevalent attitude in the US, which was especially convenient for America during the Holocaust. In the United States, antisemitism, which reached high levels in the late 1930s, continued to rise in the 1940s. During the years before Pearl Harbor, over a hundred antisemitic organizations were responsible for pumping hate propaganda throughout the American public. Furthermore, especially in New York City and Boston, young gangs vandalized Jewish cemeteries and synagogues, and attacks on Jewish youngsters were common. Swastikas and anti-Jewish slogans, as well as antisemitic literature were spread.

Passive Anti Semitism
Another type of antisemitism in America during this time was “passive antisemitism.” While many Americans would not physically harm a Jew, they had negative internal feelings towards them. Throughout history, Jews have been continuously looked down upon, and have been used as scapegoats. Therefore, during the Holocaust, “passive antisemitism” meant that these people were already inclined not to care about the Jews in Europe, let alone America’s response to this crisis. Due to this lack of concern, that when America finally did become involved, it was too late.

Antisemitism in Congress & the Military
There was an antisemitic feeling in Congress, as well as in the US Armed Forces. In Congress, antisemitism was a factor explaining the common hostility towards refugee immigration. antisemitism explained Congress’s actions that blocked all likely havens of refuge for the Jews. For example, Congress passed a Visa policy that allowed only a minuscule number of Jews into the US, and supported Britain’s policy that placed tight limits on refugee entry into Palestine. Representative John Rankin, an example of a blatant antisemite in Congress, frequently and verbally lashed out at the Jews. Clearly, if such a high up representative of the American public spoke out viciously against the Jews, there was an evident problem within the American government. In the military, many high up officers used words such as “kikes,” and openly joked about antisemitic stereotypes. Furthermore, Jewish officers expressed frustration over the antisemitic attitudes in the upper ranks.

Public Opinion
Antisemitism in the United States was also proven in national public opinion polls taken from the mid nineteen thirties to the late nineteen forties. The results showed that over half the American population saw Jews as greedy and dishonest. This is a frightening proportion. These polls also found that many Americans believed that Jews were too powerful in the United States. Similar polls were also taken, one of which posed that 35-40 percent of the population was prepared to accept an anti-Jewish campaign. In conclusion, antisemitism was seriously widespread in the U.S, in turn preventing Americans from wanting to help the Jews in Europe.

In Conclusion
If the American public and even worse, its government, looked down upon the Jews within their own country, why would they care about aiding Jews in Europe?

No matter what their personal views were that era’s policy makers were politicians who were not going to buck public opinion and help a group their underlings were prejudiced against.